Mi16 Driveshaft Nut torque
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Mi16 Driveshaft Nut torque

Howdy, me again...

I was stupidly unprepared for the driveshaft boot job today - I thought I'd just pop down to Repco at 8:30am and pick up a 35mm socket, not thinking about the torque requirement and that a 1/2" drive doesn't really cut it. I haven't got 3/4" gear...

Anyway, it took me about 2 hours to find a socket, then the breaker bars in this particular tool shop were VERY exxy so I tried loads of other places to no avail. Then none of the hire places had one. I finally found one for hire at one of those tried and trusted old style parts places (Odin Auto Parts - great place, WA'ers!).

Anyway, I finally STARTED the job at 2:20pm. Got both boots done by five, and the shaft is ready to go back. Might replace the intermediate bearing, though - it sounds a bit gritty.

So, to the point, finally - for tightening the driveshaft nut, I haven't got a 3/4" torque wrench and I'm damned if I can find one for hire. Can anyone see any problems with tightening the nut 'pretty tight' and then driving the car a few kays to a local mechanics for a final tighten up? Assuming they've got one, that is!

Cheers

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tut, tut, tut!!!!!

Did you miss this one?

35mm 3/4 drive socket - where to get one

Check out posting #22, that has a pic of how I tighten them & rest assured, mine don't clunk or rattle and I've never snapped one off yet..

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

No Alan, I most certainly DIDN'T miss it... Are you saying that you don't measure the torque? You just hoik it up, as tight as...?

I thought you were referring to removing the nut, not tightening.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    No Alan, I most certainly DIDN'T miss it... Are you saying that you don't measure the torque? You just hoik it up, as tight as...?

I thought you were referring to removing the nut, not tightening.

Stuey
    I just use common sense when tightening it, but in reality, the tension they give you I reckon you'd be flat out setting on a tension wrench and getting short of putting your entire weight on the wrench and doing the kinds of things Russell Coight does when he strains, in the process.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Okey dokey - well I just tightened it to 110 lb/ft then 150 lb/ft using the torque wrench - figuring that a similar amount of strain/flex with a bar would give me another 40 lbs/ft to get it to around the 194 lb/ft required...

Close enough's good enough...not my usual motto.

Anyway, she's on the road again.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information