My new 505 GTI Wagon!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default My new 505 GTI Wagon!

Hi, just picked up my new '90 505 gti 5 spd manual wagon today, I'm really happy with it and it seems to drive beautifully - it seems like the perfect car for me and it seems the perfect replacement for my old 504 wagon. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who owns a 505 gti wagon - positive features, negative features, good/bad experiences, how they compare to other 505 wagons etc.

Also I'd be interested to know what price range they sell for (sorry, I know thats a pretty general question)? I have been looking at 505 wagons for sale for a while now but have only ever seen one GTI for sale which is the one I bought.

Thanks, look forward to reading some comments.

Advertisement

congratulations Jim
    Red Book valuation says "Average Private Price $4,500 - $6,150"
    '04 307 XSE Touring Auto - Diablo Red
    '06 206 C Auto - Diablo Red

Icon7

Welcome Jim,

Boodek picked up a great Series II 505 wagon for about $2k. It is a good tight car. I think it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. I love the 505, essentially a more refined 504, the 504 was already refined.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

We picked up our 1993 Auto Gti Familiale wagon in 1999 for $10K changeover. It had 190,000 Km on the clock then, and it now has 310,000. Its been reliable, comfortable and hard working.

It was preceded by a 1983 505 Wagon (also an auto, but 3 speed) and shared the stable with our 1976 504 Familiale, which we had for 11 years, untold acventures, and loved dearly.

All 505 wagons seem to have a "harshness" at about 3500 rpm. In the 3 speed this was almost spot on 100Kmh which was a pain, in the 4 speed auto it's not a problem, but it's still there. I can only assume that it's to do with resonance in the exhaust pipe, because the son's 505 Gti sedan has no sign of it.

The only parts replaced have been the fuel pump (got noisy), the gearbox engine mounts (relatively easy on a hoist) and front suspension rubbers (primarily the castor arm bushes). I've relined the rear brakes since getting the car, replaced the seals in the front calipers, and also the seals in the power steering controller. The diff has whined under load since we got it, but hasn't got any worse so I've tuned it out! Oh, and the heater/cooler blower fan carked it last weekend so I made new brushes for that as well.

This car has towed a Mini to Hay from Melbourne a few times, has transported large numbers of Scouts, and their trailer full of stuff. It's been reliable and comfortable family transportation on many trips around the State. It has got the Missus to work and back, and numerous other places without a hitch for all this time.

Couldn't recommend it higher. Enjoy your manual version!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Tadpole

Icon7

Just brought a '89 gti wagon for 6500 (200000) Km. Very happy with it, ti has all the features I would have liked to put on my 504 wagon.......but much cheaper this way. Happy motoring

Hi Jim,
    Welcome, and congratulations on your purchase of the wagon.
    You won't be dissapointed as long as you don't expect rocketing performance, they are a big car afterall. Adequate but not quick, they'll cruise all day comfortably with the traffic, probably more comfortably than most too. We have had 3 pug wagons now, 2x505 and one 504 (a 79? from memory) and they are very versitile, especially being able to carry all our 3 kids and a mate each if necessary.
    Hope you enjoy the 505, and there is always help here on AussieFrogs if needed.
    Chris

[QUOTE=pottsy]We picked up our 1993 Auto Gti Familiale wagon in 1999 for $10K changeover. It had 190,000 Km on the clock then, and it now has 310,000. Its been reliable, comfortable and hard working.
    All 505 wagons seem to have a "harshness" at about 3500 rpm. In the 3 speed this was almost spot on 100Kmh which was a pain, in the 4 speed auto it's not a problem, but it's still there. I can only assume that it's to do with resonance in the exhaust pipe, because the son's 505 Gti sedan has no sign of it.

Hi Pottsy,
    Also welcome to ausfrogs.May-be belated )
    With reference to the vibration, 505 wagons have 2 vibration dampers located at the rera of the gearbox, on a metal plate between the box and tailshaft/torque tube. If one or both of these is missing or starting to come away from the mounting it will cause a horrible resonance in the cabin of the vehicle at 3500rpm or 100km/h. I found this a particular problem with an earlier 505 I had, we obtained a 2nd hand damper and fited it and problem solved. I don't think the sedans have the dampers, so I doubt they have this problem. I think it is possibly due to the longer torque tube in the wagons.(do you have a haynes manaul? pic on oage 160 shows one rubber block which is the damper)
    The other reason could be a worn center bearing in the torque tube.
    I also reduced the noise significantly on an early 505(84) model with a liberal amount of grease applied to center bearing of t/tube via the grease nipple visible about the middle of the shaft viewed form the left side of the car.

505 wagons are a very sure footed vehicle for their size. I have had 2 of them, an 84 and now a 1990. Ours is an import GR wagon, SII with all the SII bits, climate control air, 4sp auto. The 4sp makes a vast difference to the old 2 litre engine in the GR models.(same engine as Aus spec SR wagon) It will cruise all day at 110km or higher(shhhh )
    Cheers, Chris.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 14th December 2004 at 05:16 PM. Reason: adding more stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jim504
    Hi, just picked up my new '90 505 gti 5 spd manual wagon today, I'm really happy with it and it seems to drive beautifully - it seems like the perfect car for me and it seems the perfect replacement for my old 504 wagon. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who owns a 505 gti wagon ...
    Mine have been sLi's rather than GTi's, Jim. The fundamental characteristics are pretty much the same though. Big , strong, comfortable , good handling workhorses that are equally happy carting half a tonne of firewood (don't try this in a Falcon, folks) or the family in comfort on an interstate trip. THere is a long, long heritage here. The 203, 403, 404 and 504 wagons were equally tough, and equally competent by the standards of their day. The 505 wagon is the last refinement in a brilliant line of vehicles.

Not many people who have owned a big Peugeot wagon find it easy to give them up. When I bought the 406 and a trailer 18 months ago I intended to sell the 505 wagon asap. It was meant to be part of the justification for the price of the 406. Still haven't managed to get round to advertising it. Its simply too good at doing the things it does. Not much out there that can touch them in these areas even today, more than twenty years after they were first built.

You'll stay in love with yours too, I'm sure.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information