dehydrating pug
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: dehydrating pug

Tadpole

dehydrating pug

Can anyone help??

I have a 1989 Peugeot 405 that is losing coolant and noone seems to be able to find out where it is going.

The problem began with the car running hot. It was diagnosed as needing a new head gasket. This was done but it's still losing water and the fan seems to be coming on full pelt too frequently - even when the temp gauge is showing low-normal temp. Since the head gasket the thermostat and radiator cap have been replaced. My mechanic is at a loss.

Has anyone had a similar problem or got any ideas?

Advertisement

Sue,

I spend a fair bit of time on overseas boards where the Cit BX and Pug 405 are around in similar numbers as Falcons and Commodores are here so here's a couple of suggestions of similar problems encountered over there.
    For starters, is your mechanic an experienced Peugoet repairer? The reason I ask this is that the symptoms are very typical of a car with air in the cooling system. Even with the experience of 17 years of Citroen ownership, I still sometimes have to bleed the cooling system up to 5 times to expel all the air. The best mechanic in the World could get caught with this if he isn't au fait with the bleeding procedure.
    You say the radiator cap has been replaced; was it a genuine part as these cars normally have a very high psi rating on the cap (from memory 14.5psi) which if a lower pressure cap is fitted will cause the water to boil off at a lower temp.
    Presuming the radiator has not been tested, it is common practice in UK to have a flow test on the radiator. Apparently 60% is considered the minimum allowed.
    Also, overseas they tend to replace the water pump at the same intervals as the cambelt as they claim they lose their efficiency after a while.
    My guess would be either air in the system or the wrong or faulty radiator cap.
    Keep us informed how you go. We are always interested in cases like this

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts
    Definitely sounds like there's water remaining where the temp. gauge sender unit is (so it shows fairly normal) but air/water around the region of the fan sender (so this gets too hot and switches the fan on). As Alan says, this suggests a bleeding problem.

A real bleedin' problem (Sorry...)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole
    Hi Alan and Stuey

Thanks for the suggestions, and the humour Stuey.

My mechanic is Peugeot trained and has a pretty good reputation amongst pug owners. I'll take your suggestions to him as he's as frustrated about the persistence of this problem as I am. I know that he has bled the system and said at the time that they are tricky but I'll quiz him about it.

I'll let you know how things develop

Thanks again

Sue

Thread Information