Cleaning Headlight Insides
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Cleaning Headlight Insides

The rear (inside) surfaces of my headlight lenses are filthy. The seal between the glass and the reflector is beginning to go and water is getting in and trickling down the back of the glass, bringing dirt.
    Before I start spreading sealant everywhere, can I clean inside the headlights without complete disassembly? And if I do disassemble them, how do I do that without breaking anything, and what do I use to securely re-seal the glass to the reflectors?
    It's a 1988 205.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Howdy; how about removing the bulb(s) and using dishwashing soap and water, and a bottle brush? You could then pour a tiny amount of metho in and shake it vigourously to help dry it out. Half an hour in the sun should leave it dry, then.

About dismantling - I had the reflectors on my R12 'kangaroo' lamps re-silvered. The method I used to remove the proprietary sealant was a wire brush on a drill. However, I've since found that you put the lamp lens down in a petrol bath and it softens. Then you simply use good quality low acid silicone sealant to replace the lens.

Good luck

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks.
    I'll try the bottlewashing technique first, and with luck that will be enough.

Thread Information