GTi-6 clicking
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: GTi-6 clicking

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default GTi-6 clicking

now then this was discussed a while ago but i now forget who else had the clicking noise in their GTi-6

i have noticed in the heat the last week that the clicking is there almost all the time

has anyone gotten any closer to finding out what this noise it ?

now the car can sit for a couple of days but the noise comes with heat

in winter it isn't there untill the car warms up and now in the heat it is there no matter what temp the engine is

i am still no closer to finding out what this noise is

Advertisement

maybe i will jack the engine up a little on the weekend and pull the engine mount out and have a look but if i am going to do that i am better off having a welder handy to weld it up if need be

still sounds very much like a relay click sound
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I think it was Jude, wasn't it? Didn't we end up guessing it was an engine mount, but I don't think it was ever verified...

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I think it was Jude, wasn't it? Didn't we end up guessing it was an engine mount, but I don't think it was ever verified...
    Yup 'twas me. I meant to make another post about this but completely forgot..glad pugrambo reminded me.

A month or so back my middle muffler/resonator (the genie S/S one I had fitted about 6 months back due to the oem one crapping itself) also crapped itself. Turned out the internal perforated straight-thru tube had partly detached at the ends and was almost free floating inside the resonator body and making all sorts of vibrating noises at certain rpm. Anyway, during the time the genie resonator was stuffing up, the clicking noise had completely disappeared. I'm pretty sure it had actually disappeared and not me just not hearing it due to the resonator vibrating noise.

Anyway, I got the exhaust shop to replace the genie resonator under warranty (they said they've never seen that happen before). Since replaced, I've never heard that relay type clicking noise anymore, no matter whether the car is hot or cold. I can't be sure if that clicking noise was ever related to the resonator, but this is what I've noticed.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124

i haverocked the car in gear without the engine going and the noise isn't there

only seems to be there when the engine is running

maybe it is exhaust related
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

There are a number of relays under the bonnet though. The cooling fan unit has two relays alone, but whether they would be audible from in the cabin I highly doubt it.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

after going for a drive jsut then with the window down and listening it really does sound more like the exhaust clicking away

the sound does seem to be coming more from underneath the car close in line to where you are sitting in the car

i'll look at getting a new resonator in the new year i think
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information