koni ,to discount or not to discount.
  • Register
  • Help

Default koni ,to discount or not to discount.

i mentioned this in another thread but thought id make a new thread about it.
    i got some koni sports 30 1314 for the rear of the 205.
    i was going to get them from ray bell as he offered a very nice discount but i couldnt wait for the next shipment as mine were stuffed and i needed them now.
    i rang top performance in vermont who are the distibutors of koni.when i asked for the price was told $373 and they were not willing to come down a cent.
    i rang around and found GT PERFORMANCE in flemington and was told they will do them for $335.this is ironic as top performance being the distibutors are usually where you would expect to get the discount as gt get them from top performance.
    looks like some people prefer profit to turnover.
    oh and by the way if you are thinking of putting konis on ,stop thinking about it and do it .
    its made the old girl come to life again.i put them on the lowest damping setting and they are firm but not at all thumpy.very nice-BAZZ

Advertisement

First off, Bazz... Topperformance are not The Distributors of Koni... they are A Distributor...

Not that it's any fault of the present management, the company began as interlopers muscling in on the 'exclusive agency' held by Proven Products.

Cor Teewun came here from Holland, having quit his job as Export Manager and getting himself signed on with an Australian agency... some seven years after PP began building the Koni market.

The ultimate irony in this is that it was Koni's move into the motorcycle field that enabled him to carry on... he wasn't making any headway in the car field and when the bike stuff came on stream he was able to get a good hold on the new market.

And these days PP are making those motorcycle dampers under licence... Koni having abandoned the field altogether.

Oh, yeah... on the discount side of things...

If you went into PP you might be able to wheedle a 10% discount on some pretext or other. Of course, I can pass on much more than that.

And, as you found, sometimes PP don't have stock and Topperformance do... that's the way it is. Sometimes it's the other way around...

i stand corrected,i didnt mean they were the importers but it does read that way from what i wrote,sorry for the confusion.
    i just cant get over the fact that the retailer was able to offer a bigger discount than the distibutor does.
    im not sure but i think tp are the distibutors in melbourne.
    anyway,see ya-BAZZ
    HE HAVE TO BE FROM HOLLA ND WITH A NAME LIKE 'CORE TEWUN'
    Last edited by bazgti; 2nd December 2004 at 07:53 PM.

Oh they are distributors... I'm just explaining how they came to be distributors when PP were already the 'exclusive distributors' with paper to say so...

Take advantage of their stock when PP are out of stock, by all means... but you know where to come when you want a bigger discount and when the stuff is in stock at PP.

Though I must admit I'm getting a little tired of waiting for a reply on your front units at the moment, Bazz. My e.mail system must still be dodgy...

Just a note to anyone considering konis: Don't bother wasting too much time, Ray Bell will get them to you cheaper than anyone else and with far less hassle.

There it's out of my system
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

i will second that[as long as his email is workin properly],ha ha ha ,i got you there Ray-BAZZ[OOPS i better shut up i havnt got mine yet].

i will second that again just for the halibutt.
    Last edited by bazgti; 4th December 2004 at 06:11 PM.

Thread Information