505 Familiale mystery seat
  • Register
  • Help

505 Familiale mystery seat

Hi all. When folding up all of the seats in a 505 family estate, does the third row fold completely flat or stay at 90deg ? I've owned an '89 model for six months, there are no actual pictures of the final fold in the owners manual, just text. BUT...I dug out a fairly early ('82-'83) UK road test, with photos, and it's flat, looks like a hearse! So, was there a change ?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Originally posted by Jason Morris:
    <STRONG>Hi all. When folding up all of the seats in a 505 family estate, does the third row fold completely flat or stay at 90deg ? </STRONG>
    Jason,

It folds flat - completely flat...

I've had two family estates - first was an 84 and second an late 89 build GTI series II.

The seat arrangement was the same for both vehicles.

The rear seat has a release lever on the back, which releases the back of the seat and allows it to hinge forward. The seat cushion section hinges at the front and lifts up in a forward direction - allowing the whole of the third row to lie flat on the floor behind the second row of seats. This row pushes up and over, so that the back of the rear seat and the underside of the seat cushion forms a new flat storage floor.

For the rear row to be positioned flat, the second row of seats must be lifted forward. For the second row, the release lever near the floor releases the seat back allowing it to move forward and the seat cushion lifts up to about 90 degrees immediately behind the two front seats.

If this is what you are referring to, the second row sits at 90 degrees behind the front seats, and the third row folds flat on the floor.

And that's it... BTW I had to pull the rear seat apart on one estate to adjust the release mechanism (which had allowed the side catches to tear the upholstery).

Denis

thank you Dennis, my 505 Familiale floor is now flat too. the third row is stiff caused by the curved carpet catching , but with a little gentle pressure it all goes down in the end. mine is a 10/84 built by J.R.A.
    cheers Ranger
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Thank you both - press the carpet and it works.
    I had a go at lunch time, and suprised two passers by with a loud satisfied 'HA' when I popped it down for the first time!
    Two additional self-tapping screws will fix the problem for good, instead of just having one in the middle.

Jason

Thread Information