OMG! trade-in value for a 180
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon13 OMG! trade-in value for a 180

I just went into Sydney City Toyota to look at a new Landcruiser Saharah, an $87K vehicle. I didn't take my 180 in, but said i wanted to trade it in and could he tell me how much one would be worth in mint condition. (I was thinking that I'd get a good trade in cause of the high price of the Landcruiser.)

I was told the trade in value for a 180 with 13,000km is only $23,000.

I couldn't believe what he said... I actually asked him if he's gotten it wrong and ment $33,000. But no, it's $23,000.

Advertisement

That actually sounds pretty reasonable to me, given the car wasn't even present.

$23000????...................

You can sell it anywhere easy.....
    Those yard must be Crazy

If you r trade for those expensive car, u should at least get $26000-27000
    Last edited by jchan; 30th November 2004 at 05:11 PM.
    Jacky
    1995 Peugeot 306 XT 1.8 MT

Performance:
    JAMEX Lower Springs, Griffiths Eng. Quick Shift, K&N Element Replacement Filter, 2 1/4" Catback Custom Make Exhaust with 2 X 3" DTM Style Twin Pipes Outlet, BF g-force 185/65/14

Sound System:
    Sony CDX-F5700, Hertz 4" Split, JBL 6" 2 Way, Alpine MPR-M200, SoundStream EGW-10 10" Sub

Outlook:
    BOSCH Silver Evolution bulbs, Aero Wipers, Momo SliverJet, RAZO Gear Knob, RAZO Carbon Paddle, Sparco Pro 2000

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by blu180
    I couldn't believe what he said... I actually asked him if he's gotten it wrong and ment $33,000. But no, it's $23,000.
    Must have meant a 6th MO 138GTi, probably doesn't know what a 180 is ... I'd expect somewhere around $28-29K, remember dealers usually try and make $5K+ on a trade-in when re-selling.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Must have meant a 6th MO 138GTi, probably doesn't know what a 180 is ... I'd expect somewhere around $28-29K, remember dealers usually try and make $5K+ on a trade-in when re-selling.

- XTC -

He knew what a 180 was, he said the industry re-sale value for a 180 is the same as a 138.

I would have expected atleast $32,000, considering my boss just got $10,000 off a brand new Lexus 4WD from them, which is exactly the same car re-badged.

Has anyone see any for sale in the paper? If so how much was it going for?

I've often found when I go to a dealer that I know more about cars than they do. I looked at a Clio 182 & the dealer didn't have a clue what the 206 180 is. You would think that considering they are direct competition there would be a little knowledge.

Also people I deal with tend to miss the 180 bit. For example I asked 3 times to ensure the car was insured as a 180, not 138. Finally I got a friend who works for the company to check & he fixed it.The figure you were offered sounds to me as if they were thinking of the GTI 138.

At the dealer near me there is a blue 180 with a March rego & just over 6000kms on the clock with a sticker of $33,990. Which is strange, considering I paid less for mine new. Take a look on the net and you can see how well the 138 retains its value. The 180 should have a 3 year resale value of 74%.

I think you've been given a bum steer

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    I've often found when I go to a dealer that I know more about cars than they do. I looked at a Clio 182 & the dealer didn't have a clue what the 206 180 is. You would think that considering they are direct competition there would be a little knowledge.

Also people I deal with tend to miss the 180 bit. For example I asked 3 times to ensure the car was insured as a 180, not 138. Finally I got a friend who works for the company to check & he fixed it.The figure you were offered sounds to me as if they were thinking of the GTI 138.

At the dealer near me there is a blue 180 with a March rego & just over 6000kms on the clock with a sticker of $33,990. Which is strange, considering I paid less for mine new. Take a look on the net and you can see how well the 138 retains its value. The 180 should have a 3 year resale value of 74%.

There are 2 for sale on-line. Both are going for $35,000.

You paid less than $34K? how much did you pay... is it under a business?

So it seems.

No, bought mine for personal usage. I was supposed to get the demo & had worked out a deal on that. But they sold it the day I went to sign the contract, so they gave me a deal on a brand spanker.

I paid $35,200 including on roads & metallic paint. That means I actually paid about $32,000 for the car. They should be about 38k onroad up here.

I don't think they're walking off the floor here. I have only seen 3 others in the past 4 months.

I'm in the pile of people that reckons that isn't too bad for a sight unseen appraisal. The dealer would have no idea what the car is like, even at 6 MO with 13K kís a lot could have happened, crashed, bashed and trashed. Sight unseen the dealer is likely hedging their bets. Iím sure if you were serious about doing a deal there would be more in the offering once they see the condition, service history etc.

Also taking the nasty cynical point of view from the dealer, they may think that someone who is trading a small sporty car for a large land crusher doesnít have a clue what they really want out of a car. More money than sense, so why not give a silly trade in price for starters, Iím sure it has happened before. Donít take that last paragraph the wrong way, Iíve no idea why you want to make such a large change in vehicle character, just thinking from a possible dealer POV.

Default Trade in value for a 180.

Can we assume Blu180 that you intend stepping out of your 180 into a Gland Cruiser? Have you become disillusioned with the Pug or has your work etc circumstances changed? None of this is our business of course but in my cynical way I can't help but think that this will be the future for the young owners of later model Peugeots.
    I just can't see these people having an allegiance to the Peugeot name. The days of the Peugeot owner who has stayed with the "old firm" from the 203, 403, 404 days are gone even the sales people will tell you this.
    These younger owners will enjoy their toys for a while and then move on to an Audi or SAAB or whatever.
    The motorcar unfortunately has become nothing more than a fashion statement, to be quickly discarded.

I disagree with that. I'm on my second Peugeot. Love them. Research shows that build buyer loyalty young & they will mostly stay loyal. My flatmate is a Ford guy. His father had fords... etc, etc... This guy won't even look at a Commodore. Human nature doesn't change, just the way we view it.

What happened to the Mustang, Blu180?

I don't think you were given a "value" but more a price and has been pointed out, some Winny blue smoking, mirrored sunglasses, tyre kicker flogging wank tanks is hardly going to be up to date with cars that are beyond the Camry, Commode, and Fowlcan class now is he?
    He'd be more into telling you how safe the wank tank is around school playgrounds and shopping centres. You're not exactly dealing with the cream of the crop dealing with these types selling 'fashion statements' and if he was stoopid enough to do a crystal ball appraisal chances are he's quoting a price so low that if you were to accept it, he'd honour ir just so long as it was worth well above what he'd pulled out of the book. It gives 'em something to skite about in the pub after hours.
    If he's offereing such big cuts off the wank tank and if you've decided you can't drive well enough to need a proper car and must step down into one of tehse things, then get a price from the Auctions or dealers and turn the tables on him & screw him for a big discount.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

a. It's no use to anyone to ask for an site unseen appraisal
    b. It's stupider for the dealer to respond to the request.

However, let's think about it.
    If Industrie paid $32000 for a NEW car... lets assume that one way or other the car may have owed the dealer say $31000 more like $30000.
    And that's new. What should the dealer pay for a used one then?
    First look at what the car should sell for with 13000 km on it ........ about $5000 less than new? You'd reckon about that wouldn't you?
    Takes us to $27000. And Let's just say they want to make about $4000 out of it.
    $23000 is around the mark isn't it.
    Having said that, I would reckon you could get HEAPS of a Cruiser. But that's another matter.
    Why wouldn't you look at a Diesel X5? These are seriously good jiggers.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Just a thought - with the "extras" you have on your car blu - It would make it harder for a dealer to move. It would be interesting to see what a completely stock 180 would get as a trade-in. (probably not much more or less )

If and when I trade my 138 in (maybe on a 207 or a Golf GTi when they land) I expect to be burnt! Hence why I havent modified my car apart from the quickshift kit.
    Last edited by gti138; 1st December 2004 at 12:11 AM.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Tadpole

Default Ignorance is bliss.....

I agree with Simon in the fact that some salespeople will throw a ridiculous deal on the table and see if it is taken by the prospective "victim".

Also, Pugs are not the most known car in Australia as far as the general population is concerned. When it come to GTIs I think its even worse.... these guys don't even know about the base models.....and being a Toyota dealer.......!?!?!
    I just picked up a MY98 306 GTI 6 with 72K Kms for $17,500 from a Holden dealer in Perth which was originally advertised for $20990, then 3 weeks later it was posted on Carguide.com for $19990 when I found it. The funny thing was that these guys are now also selling new Renaults as well (the previous owner apparently traded it in for a Megane Renault Sport) so they should know a little about French hot hatches.

I think the bottom line is, especially if the car is in mint condition is to sell it privately even though it takes a little more time and effort. A fellow enthusiast would feel like they are getting a bargain for a price the dealer would not dare touch.
    Last edited by Ruprect; 1st December 2004 at 12:41 AM.

They are dealers, they are out to make a quid out of you as well as out of everyone else. They like to shore up against the prospect of being stuck with the car in their yard for a while too... remembering that they might well have a floor plan that's costing them 14% pa on everything they have in stock.

What defeats me is that more people don't ask this question... people just accept what crumbs are thrown at them and barely raise an eyebrow when they see their last car a week later with a pricetag $7,500 higher than what they were given.

"Oh, yeah, well they had to fix this and that," they might say. More likely it's still unfixed and they've taken the good wheels off it as well...
    Last edited by pugrambo; 1st December 2004 at 02:59 PM.

I just went into Sydney City Toyota to look at a new Landcruiser Saharah, an $87K vehicle. I didn't take my 180 in, but said i wanted to trade it in and could he tell me how much one would be worth in mint condition. (I was thinking that I'd get a good trade in cause of the high price of the Landcruiser.)

I was told the trade in value for a 180 with 13,000km is only $23,000.

I see the "Redbook" trade-in value for a 2003 180 is listed at $24,000 to $27,600 . My guess would be that this price is what you might get trading in on a new Peugeot. The Peugeot dealer will probably be able to get a higher SH price for the vehicle than dealers for other makes.

You might squeeze a couple of thousand more out of the dealer, but probably not a lot more.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

what has always amazed me is people will accept a trade in price but later when they see their old car in the yard they will scream about how the dealer has put a higher price on the car for what they got as a trade in

i have known many a person over the years that have whinged that the car they traded is on the lot for $3000 more than what they got for it

no matter how many times i would try to tell them that the dealer has to make money somewhere otherwise why be there or more to the point they wouldn't be there if they didn't

trade in prices are always lower than what you would expect or be able to get privately

12months after i got the GTi-6 i went to dealer to see what he could out of curiosity on a manual 406 coupe and he offered me $30k for the GTI-6

now the car was around $46kincl ORC so that means a loss if i had gone for it of $16k in 12 months
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Cal

If you trade your 180 on a Landcruiser, you will be banned from Aussiefrogs.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    If you trade your 180 on a Landcruiser, you will be banned from Aussiefrogs.
    If you look at his other thread you'll see that this probably doesn't bother him!

He's one ropable little blue duck at the moment... let's just hope he simmers down and starts paddling round the froggy swamp again...

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    a. It's no use to anyone to ask for an site unseen appraisal
    b. It's stupider for the dealer to respond to the request.

However, let's think about it.
    If Industrie paid $32000 for a NEW car... lets assume that one way or other the car may have owed the dealer say $31000 more like $30000.
    And that's new. What should the dealer pay for a used one then?
    First look at what the car should sell for with 13000 km on it ........ about $5000 less than new? You'd reckon about that wouldn't you?
    Takes us to $27000. And Let's just say they want to make about $4000 out of it.
    $23000 is around the mark isn't it.
    Having said that, I would reckon you could get HEAPS of a Cruiser. But that's another matter.
    Why wouldn't you look at a Diesel X5? These are seriously good jiggers.
    Great response Warwick. I agree the unseen appraisal seems reasonable to me.

In addition, the Lexus Landcruiser would have more room to move on than a straight Landcruiser, I reckon. The more luxury bloated rubbish you throw in a car the bigger the margin and the more room to move on price.

I'm thinking the trade in should be somewhere around 27-28k. Remember there is a 180 second hand at my local lot with 34k on it. The dealer has probably allowed about 2-3k margin for negotiation and another 2-3k for profit. This means that they probably would have picked it up for around $28,000. Remember, also, the dealer is making a profit on the new car too.

I think part of the problem is that you went to another brand. Remember a Peugeot dealer also has to look at how selling a near new car for a low cost will affect how he can move the new stock. If you were shopping for a 180 & saw the second hand version for sale at under 30 grand, would you buy the new one? I wouldn't, either I'd buy the used one for a bargain cost or I'd wonder about the depreciation and whether the car was worth it. Before I bought the 180 I had a good look at the value of the 138s that were selling, both privately & at dealers, and the advertised prices were brilliant.

I think that I could sell my car (with 13,000km) privately for about 30-31,000. I'd advertise it for 32. Remember that with a second hand car there aren't as many on road costs (ie dealer delivery)

I think that I could sell my car (with 13,000km) privately for about 30-31,000. I'd advertise it for 32. Remember that with a second hand car there aren't as many on road costs (ie dealer delivery)
    But you have stamp duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information