505 Door hinges
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 Door hinges

JVB
    Tadpole

505 Door hinges

The front doors on my '88 505 GTi wagon have dropped a bit and there is some vertical play, so I suspect the hinge pins are worn.

Advertisement

Anyone know where I can get some new ones? Or any other suggestions to sort them out?

I've only ever asked about these at Peugeotland in Brisbane... in my case for the tailgate on my wagon.

But I'm sure they're easily found. They are roll pins, you might even be able to locate them outside the motor trade.

JVB:
    The front doors on my '88 505 GTi wagon have dropped a bit and there is some vertical play, so I suspect the hinge pins are worn.

Anyone know where I can get some new ones? Or any other suggestions to sort them out?
    I always just grab the back end of the door, while it is open a few inches, and heave it straight upwards until I feel it "give" a little. This is much easier with two people, as you can imagine.

This works, and avoids the whole drama of removing hinge pins, which can be really problematical. Not only that, your pins may not be your only problem.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

nJm
    Can you clarify that aquinian? Do you mean this solves the problem - by lifting (forcing?) the door upwards while open a few inches?

My driver's door has drooped so much you can read the tyre pressure card while the door is shut!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    the roll pins are cheap to buy and pretty easy to replace
    most 504's have had them done or need doing and 505's are getting the same way
    604's aren't as bad as they are generally driven as much
    the lower pins are the harder of the two to get to but with a little perserverence they aren't too hard to do
    also worth checking for rust around the lower hinge as well in the pillar as this can cause the door to drop as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm
    My mechanic said changing the pins in a 505 is his least favourite job to do on the cars. I think he said it was time consuming and painful too (skinned knuckles?)
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Nick,

Door pins are EASY !! just take the door off, and bash some new pins in...takes about 30 mins to do the whole job....and makes the car a lot nicer !

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

nJm
    Hmm, maybe he meant something else. I do know it was door related though .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Most door stuff is easy nick!

Take the lining off, undo the bolts holding the door to the hinges, *get someone to hold the door* take the wiring out of the door, sit the door down, and then get 2 new hinge pins *I have some if anyone wants any* bash them in with a hammer, and they will push the old ones out

*Refitting is the reversal of removing roll_lau *

Easy really

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

nJm
    Does sound easy.

Well I'll give it a go in the Uni holidays. Then I've got 4 weeks to fix it if I stuff anything up :p spanner
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

JVB,

Try European Auto Imports. They should have them.

<a href="http://www.bluep.com/~eai/" target="_blank">http://www.bluep.com/~eai/</a>

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

JVB:

These should be easy to get, jvb. Any Peugeot spares place will have them or be able to get them . They aren't expensive. From memory 504 and 505 are identical. I even managed to buy 4 from the pretty meagre parts department of Melbourne's City Peugeot in North Melbourne a while back.

Every car deserves new pins every now and then.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm:
    Can you clarify that aquinian? Do you mean this solves the problem - by lifting (forcing?) the door upwards while open a few inches?

My driver's door has drooped so much you can read the tyre pressure card while the door is shut!
    Now all you need to do is work out how to put air in your tyres from the driver's seat.

Yes, my "country" method works. A treat.

But if you can get new pins, you can certainly fit them without removing the door. In fact, when removing a door I always knock the pins out, rather than unbolt the hinges. It is a much better method, in my opinion. To fit new ones you should be able to place them over the old ones and knock them through with some kind of punch, driving the old one out as the new one goes in. The only problem with this would be that one of the pins - top or bottom, can't recall - only goes one way, because the other way it collides with the door skin. Others may recall better.

To knock the pins out you need a rod of the correct sized - about six inches long is good. You bend it slightly so that you can knock the end with a hammer without taking paint off your door.

It is definitely a two-man job. Drop a door and see how much you swear.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    just a little tip when replacing the roll pins in the doors
    rivet the top of the new pin just a little to stop the pin from working it's way out over time
    they have a tendency to fall out sometimes albeit slowly but they can do it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

JVB
    Tadpole
    Many thanks to all. Looks like next weekends job.

Thread Information