A/C On 505
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: A/C On 505

Icon5 A/C On 505

Hello All,

With the warmer weather now upon us I have decided to put some effort into getting the air going on the 505 wagon.

I was told by a mate of mine to grab a 12v feed from the batt and connect to the ac compressor to see if it came in or not, I am happy to report it clunks in and out like it should.

The question I have is when I switch it from the dash it does not come on, I measured to voltage at the feed wire going into the compressor but alas there was no power. Should this point have power at all times when the air is on ? or does the compressor cut in and out as needed ?

Thank in advance

Ben

Advertisement
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Not answering your question, but addressing air cond issues like this... I've been told by people in the trade that you should run your air con at least once a week, even for just a few seconds, to ensure the seals etc get lubricated and don't go hard and that sort of thing...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Hello All,

With the warmer weather now upon us I have decided to put some effort into getting the air going on the 505 wagon.

I was told by a mate of mine to grab a 12v feed from the batt and connect to the ac compressor to see if it came in or not, I am happy to report it clunks in and out like it should.

The question I have is when I switch it from the dash it does not come on, I measured to voltage at the feed wire going into the compressor but alas there was no power. Should this point have power at all times when the air is on ? or does the compressor cut in and out as needed ?

Thank in advance

Ben
    you may need to check for continuity in the wiring from the switch to power source and to the compressor
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default Airconditioner Diagnosis

Hello All,

Thank in advance

Ben

Hi Ben,

The Peugeot uses a cycling clutch system. The basic theory of operation is pretty simple.

When you switch it on, power is fed to fan and to the compressor via two series devices:

1) The thermostat which may be a simple a tube type device or with it's sensing element stuck in the evaporator (the bit that gets cold).
    When at temperature it open, below temperature it is closed. Solid state electronic modules are also used with a thermistor sensor - Nippon Denso and Diesel Kiki mainly. Pugs at a guess use a good old boudon tube thermo stat.

2) The hi/ low pressure switch (usually in the top of the receiver dryer)
    This stops the compressor running if there is no refrigerent (lo pres) or if the
    condenser (the part that gives heat in front of he radiator) is blocked and the pressure goes very high (hi press).

Both items 1 &2 are normally closed devices, the thermo when it is below temperature and the hi/lo press switch when it lo in refrigerant.

I would turn it on and momentarily short the hi/lo pressure switch and see if the compressor clutch come in. iIf this happens then the system pobably need recharging. Don't use it with the switch shorted out.

Any more than that is a job for an airconditioning tech.

By the way it is good practice to run your air for a few minutes each week. On my old van I had it wired to the reversing light switch. The seals then get run and lubricated.

regards

Robert

Icon14 A/C On 505.

Some earlier type eggnishners have a low pressure switch, located on top of the dryer. It disconnects the compressor when refrigerant level drops.With engine running "Jump" the two wires on the pressure switch, the compressor should engage. Observe the sight glass on the dryer, if gas is low bubbles will appear, if no gas no bubbles. If gas level OK an occasional bubble might show. If the compressor doesn't engage with jump wire you will need to check, fuse, switch or dash temp control.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 30th November 2004 at 12:32 PM. Reason: insert additional wording

On series 1 505s the circuit goes from the switch under the dash on the side of the control lever to the thermastat which is mounted on top of the air-con box to the compressor and electric fan. The switch under the dash has connections just riveted through the circuit board and they can vibrate loose and go open circuit, have seen this often. It' s easy to fix, just solder to the board around the terminal. I've also had a thermastat fail but I dont think it would be a common fault and are hard to change.

LYNCLIFF

Default 505 Series 1 A/C

Yep I had a small problem on mine yeas ago I traced it to the thermostat switch( I think -) any way the slide control on the RH side of control panel. I had to carefully dissassembe the switck and with draw the spring copper contacts and retension them. It was the main reason that the supply to the clutch via the thermostat asembly mounted in the top area of the A/C bay under the bonett. I also found once that the actuating cable was busted it was easier to get a lenght of stainless steel pianio wire - Pianio Tunners have old ones lying around - Do NOT forget to measure the diamater of the wire- and manufacture a replacement in situe than run a new one.

Hope this helps
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Hello All,

Thank in advance

Ben
    THe problem which arose on both of my sLi's Ben involved the electronic control box which, on an sLi, is up behind the glove box next to the larger control box for the injection system - On the sLi its a silver box about the size of a cigarette packet, made by Bosch.

A resistor on the circuit board in this control box in both cases developed a "dry" joint (fairly easily found by looking for a little bit of darkening on the board around one of the resistor's "legs", or by gently wiggling things and seeing if the move). In each case it was relatively easy to resolder. Soe times simply wiggling the lead connector will temporarili get things going by flexing the circuit board a little bit, resulting in contact.

Other problems can include the connector and relay located in the engine compartment up against the back left hand corner near where the firewall meets the left hand bodywork, or, as already suggested, low gas level turning off the "cutout" switch.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information