Aircon Problems
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Aircon Problems

Default Aircon Problems

Recently on a few occasions gas has come out through the centre air vents while the aircon has been on...

Advertisement

I assume that this has been the aircon gas, but due to its inconsistency of occurring I am looking for a possible suggestion as to the cause.

On Sunday I also had water leak out from the front right of the passenger foot well. This occurred briefly and then stopped.

I assume that aircon gas is toxic and therefore are planning on avoiding using the aircon and getting it fixed ASAP, but before this some ideas as to these problems would be useful.

Thanks.
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

At first glance I would suggest checking the the drainage pipe in the passanger footwell.... disconnect and check for blockage's... anything else requires dash removal...

I agree with the above; it's not gas as this has no smell apart from a slight oily one.
    Our BX TZi also does this usually when the coil temperature is set too low and/or frech air gets into it and it then condeses. It's actually condensation that you're seeing and possibly being caused by the drain being partially clogged.
    I can't speak for your car bur t on some Cits, the glovebox has to be removed which gives access to the box surrounding the evaporator where you can flush teh drain.
    I have also seen other models where it can be accessed from under teh car but remember that there's a lot of soft metals around the evaporator so don't start prodding around too much with a screwdriver. A plastic knitting needle or crochet hook is often ideal. Ideally a high pressure air hose works real well but can cause a bit of a mess if you go a bit overkill on the pressure

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Have to agree wt the last two posts. Not A/C gas but water not draining from the evaporator tray out the usual exit but unfortunately on to your carpet. Clear the blockage and all will be well. As said the vapour is just condensation.... Best of luck.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Thanks for the advice.

But would anybody be able to give me some more guidance as to how to access and clean the aircon pipe?

bit hard to explain.... but pretty easy to do......

better still contact me and pop round on sat and I'll be happy to do it for you...

Lee.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. 306
    Thanks for the advice.

But would anybody be able to give me some more guidance as to how to access and clean the aircon pipe?
    I'm pretty sure that if you look up under the passenger side footwell (take the plastic cover off... should just click off) you can see the fan and a small black tube. I'm assuming that this is the drainage tube. Might be worth taking it off and blowing down it to see if it is blocked.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Tadpole

i have had the same problem in my 306. I took it to an air con place, they said there was nothing wrong with it, the white "gas" was just condensed water, i.e. icey air. As for the leaking water, my problem was just the same. My heater core is leaking so must be removed otherwise it keeps leaking, filling up the passengers compartment with water out of the radiator. It is a major to remover this, for this to be done the WHOLE dash must be taken out, and it is a major. My car is hundreds of bits of pieces, an i still havent reached the heater core. I have got to the the top of the dash out, which i am finding difficult. could anyone shed some light? Hopefully your problem is only a blockage, otherwise yea you are in a bit of trouble! i was quote over $600 to just fix it (not including parts), so i have done it myself. As long as you have the correct tools, plenty of time, and are good with puzzles you should figure out how to get it out. good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by J4RS
    bit hard to explain.... but pretty easy to do......

better still contact me and pop round on sat and I'll be happy to do it for you...

Lee.
    I'm away this weekend, but I should have sometime in the near future... so if I need your help I'll let you know.

Thanks for the offer.

Thread Information