Petrol to Deisel engine Swap??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Petrol to Deisel engine Swap??

I am sure someone would have done this engine swap before.
    Turbo deisel,(2.3L)and manual gearbox into GR sedan/wagon(currently 2L carbie petrol, and 4sp auto)
    How difficult a swap would this be?
    I am not betting on it being a walk in the park, but are there any real major re-fabrications.
    What diff ratio did the sedans run? Does the independant diff internals fit the solid axle in the wagon. The list goes on and on.
    The other choice would be to leave it as amanual and just go with the TD engine. The deisel with a blower would probably be as quick as a carb petrol auto I am guessing. They aren't not quick by any stretch of the imagination.
    Is the 4hp22 box able to handle the torque of a TD engine??
    This may nt even happen yet, just thinking out aloud, and looking for any knowledgable guidence out there.
    Looking at a vehicle upgrade early to mid next year, and this may-be one option, to keep the wagon, and transplant a good turbo deisel engine and possibly manual gearbox into it. The 505 has a perfect body, no dings(arabs would pay good$$ for it ) no rust, top paint, and no major mechanical hassles but the drawback of a carb engine and the auto box takes away some of the driving pleasure, although it is still a Pug and handles very well for a wagon.

Advertisement

Owen Wuillemin has fitted a turbo diesel to a 504 ute... but it was a diesel ute to start with.

The only issue is the gearbox mount if you retain the BA10/5 that comes with the turbo diesel. That's not an issue going into a sedan, but into a wagon you'd need a mount something like the one used for the 4-speed auto.

The bulk of the job is just plain old slogging away at changing things...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the ZF auto should be able to handle the torque of the diesel as they run them behind the V6 overseas so you would be fairly safe there i would say

the thing would be the bell housing and you may need an adaptor plate as i doubt you are going to find a diesel to ZF bell housing

you may also need to look at the tunnel size to make sure the 10/5 is going to fit in there as it may need a bit of modifying

i don't know if a 504 rear mount will go in a 505 but you can use that with the BA10 and turn it around

it works and i have seen it done on 504 wagons and they seem to last pretty well even though they are back to front

i'm not sure if the wagon you have has a return line for the petrol engine but if not you will need to look at putting one of them in as well

also you will need to look at the front springs in the car as the diesel is a heavier engine

as we never got 505 wagons with diesels it would be interesting

i am sure there was a reason why we never got them but to me it is a mystery as we had the sedans with diesels in them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

At least one of the turbo diesel sedans Owen bought to get the engines had a ZF automatic... so there will be no adaptor required.

There was a 505 GTD wagon for sale in South Australia a few months back, would have been interesting to look at, but is too far from Qld.
    GTD? I don't remember what year it was, but that sounds like it would have been a late model.
    Like I said I am not sure which way we will go with it yet. Change-over to a newer car could run to several $k and at least with the wagon it's a case of better the devil we know. (not to mention the talking point at a French Car Day )

Go for it, and the manual too!
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information