Our 504GLD - The Makeover is Over!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Our 504GLD - The Makeover is Over!

We have just used your classies forum to list a 505 for sale, and by way or reciprocation (which is a good word for this time of night!) we thought we'd share some pics of our 504.

A bit of history: The car started it's Aussie life in Tingha (New England, NSW) where it lived for all but the last three years.

It came to us a little the worst for wear, but the interior was pretty fantastic, it was just a hair over 230k's and we thought it was worth the effort in getting it up to scratch.

It's had:

- Recovered front seats (Italian leather, if you don't mind - it was the only thing we could find in the same colour as the interior trim)

- Halogen Driving Lights - powered via relay (it's dark in the country!)

- Brake System Overhaul

- Alpine 4 speaker CD stereo system (a job I wouldn't do again)

- iPod Intergration (that's a work in progress!)

- Passenger-Side Body-work

- Attention to sils and boot lid

- Attention to paint generally

- GT Stripes (a folly as any GLD owner will agree - but a concession to me as a full respray was never on the cards)

Advertisement

- A general spit shine

It certainly gets us a lot of attention when we're pootling around in it - and that's not just the fact that most people think there's a tractor coming when they hear it!

Enjoy the pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Our 504GLD - The Makeover is Over!-504_front.jpg   Our 504GLD - The Makeover is Over!-504_rear.jpg   Our 504GLD - The Makeover is Over!-504_interior.jpg  
    Last edited by peugeot_asaurus; 28th November 2004 at 09:26 AM.

Welcome to aussie frogs. I must say, i spent part of my child hood in the passenger seat of 2 different 504 GLD's, and i must admit they are grrreeeatt!! cars for cursing in, they'll happily sit on well over 100km/h all day long, and still return excellent economy, and the seats... typical Peugeot lounge chairs... extremely comfortable... i must say amongst the many Peugeots we have owned the 504 GLD has a bit of a soft spot for me... it's good to see one restored to the glory it should be in... and its a shame that we have one siting in our yard that’s beyond repair … the only thing, that I could see that would make a GLD any better then what it already is, and I must say for its time period its an excellent car, is putting a ba7/5 in for that highway crusing, and some metal hubcaps to finish the look…. and 230k kilometres, i wouldn't even worry about, for a GLD thats hardly even run in... it might also be worth investing in a dash mat, as that great looking dash is going to start getting some cracks in it farily soon if you leave it out in the sun... also, if it ever gets sold make sure it goes to a good home and not the arabs
    Last edited by orestes; 28th November 2004 at 06:15 AM. Reason: i think i have a case of dyslexia

Default Love it!!

Well done! Please drive carefully and keep it out of dingles....It's well worth preserving. A manual?? I'm jealous!
    Peter.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Tingha... Central NSW?

That's kind of like saying Alstonville is a suburb of Warrell Creek!

Default More info ...

It is a manual - 4 speed. A 5th would be nice - there's talk of a 505 gearbox when the current one wears out, but we'll see.

I've put Tingah in New England - but we've been driving with New England license plates on our Benz, and no-one seems to know where it is!

I've got an aversion to dash-mats, we have one of those in the Benz too - and it's a frightful thing. We have a nice reflector thing for the window to help prevent damage.

We've looked at dress rims for it - but I've not seen metal hubs - apart from ones on some 505's. Any suggestions on a pic of what we should be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by peugeot_asaurus

We've looked at dress rims for it - but I've not seen metal hubs - apart from ones on some 505's. Any suggestions on a pic of what we should be looking for?
    Apart from fitting alloy wheels, I think the standard 504 wheels look best as they are, just with a shiny silver coat and the standard hubcaps.

Chrome dress rims or plastic wheel covers just make 504s look tacky.

Your 504 looks just right, as it is, in my opinion.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

use baby oil for the dash

it will put back the oils into the vinyl that the UV takes out of it and as vinyl is made with oil to start with it works well

do that and keep as much sun out as you can and the dash should last well

there is a place called restore-a-dash that recovers them for future reference
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default Protect The Crash Pad ...

We use Luddy's Neutral Dubbin (it's a leather conditioner) on the crash pad vinyl and it seems to work a treat. Same idea as baby oil - keep it supple and it won't crack - and it smells like a saddlery rather than a nursery

There's a place up here on the Gold Coast that can re-cover it if it should ever come to that.

We have silvered the standard rims - but that doesn't show up in the pictures all that well.

Personally, I really like the number plates
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Yes, it's amazing how few people recognise 'the New England' when you talk to them about parts of the state...

But there's nothing wrong with educating them, is there?

Oh, yeah... if you wait till the 4-speed wears out before you put in a 5-speed, you've got an awful long wait ahead of you!

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Nice indeed! Take care of her, as she will care for you.

May I ask, how much did the retrim in leather cost?

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    Apart from fitting alloy wheels, I think the standard 504 wheels look best as they are, just with a shiny silver coat and the standard hubcaps.

Chrome dress rims or plastic wheel covers just make 504s look tacky.

Your 504 looks just right, as it is, in my opinion.

Dave
    and with the diesel keep the original size tyres on them

if you go for alloys and have some nice wide rubber on there the poor car will slow down dur to extra friction on the road

you need everything you can get with a 504 diesel

they keep on going though and if looked after serve very well

nice to see a good example on the road
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon7

One very tidy car.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

John

The retrim cost an astonishing (well, I was astonished) $400 - of which $400 accounted for the price of the the hyde.

We only replaced the panels on the seat base and back - all were badly turn. All the foam was replaced whilst we were at it.

Apparently the colour is the same as Lamborghini use in a number of their interiors, and one of the coachfitters in town had just done one (we're proximate to Byron Bay, remember) and had some offcuts. The colour was a perfect match!

Because of age, new vinyl looked appauling next to the old, so we bit the bullet. Glad we did - comfiest seats in any car I've ever driven!

So, there you have it!

If you can find matching vinyl, the "contact" panels (the bits you sit on) and new foam shouldn't cost you more than about $250-300 including labour.

Nice work; it gives me a bit of incentive to do something with mine. I had the rust in the sills taken out a few years ago and the drivers seat recovered (tan vinyl from a 70's Sigma was a good match). I have also replaced the high beams with Hella 100w halogens and relay - fantastic! I keep an old bedsheet in the car to throw over the dash when I can't be bothered putting on the silver shade and the dash is like new.

Next jobs are the brakes (front disks moaning, rear linings almost shot) and the rattly rear suspension.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Default Suspension ...

Suspension is on our list of things to do as well!

Brings back fond memories of my first 504, a '79 diesel in great condition in which I took all the silver/grey horizontal plastic off the dash and replaced with varnished american ash...it looked lovely...sniff...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Thread Information