Mi16 driveshaft boot
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Mi16 driveshaft boot

Well, the old girl sure is responding to it's sudden increase in use since the previous owner. An outer driveshaft boot has gone now... Grease everywhere!

Question: is it best to stick to originals for these? I haven't tried Caravelle yet to see if they have non-OEM anyway, but thought I'd get some recommendations first.

At least it's the same side as the lower engine mount that needs replacing, so it's a 'two birds with one stone' job, at least.

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I have found the aftermarket replacement boots are fine, although I have never owned a car another 15 years to see if it lasted as well as the first.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Fellow Frogger!

Default Driveshaft Boots

We have a 1994 2-litre 405 (not MI16) and it has done 210Kkm on its original set of shafts and boots. Driveshafts show some wear but not to the point of spending money (even more money). However the boots are fine.
    *What distance has your car travelled?
    *Has the car been off the road for a significant time in an environment that may have accelerated rotting of the boot?
    *Do you assume that the major cause is the power and the new pilot's
    driving style?
    I once drove a Renault 20 TS with about the same odometer reading down the Hume Fwy at roughly the posted speed limit. It was near Seymour when the RHS inner boot let go. Grease on the exhaust. Balloons of white smoke that filled all three mirrors. Even Takumo Sato would have noticed this!
    My Reaction;
    Panic,
    Analysis-no drop in power.
    Check guages-all readings normal.
    Slow-no noises when throttle blipped.
    Stop-self evident under bonnet deposits of black sticky goo when the pungent smoke cleared.
    Action-drive home and look for replacement shaft over the next month or so.

Specifically to your problem.

It will still travel a few more Kms (but be sympathetic and listen for clicking noises which get louder as self-destruction becomes imminent!)
    If the car has done lots of Kms on the first boot, then it can be assumed a replacement (from whatever source) will on average do roughly the same distance. By the time your car has travelled double its current distace you may well have noticed other problems requiring your attention!

The problem boot is one of four.

I suggest you inspect them all and look for movement or "slop" in the shafts themselves, when each front corner of the car is securely lifted.
    Put the car in gear. Grab the narrow part of the shaft and see if you can rotate it vis a vis the gear box or the road wheel. Or, at the wheel end hold the shaft and move the wheel/tyre back and forth. Any movement/noises mean you have wear.
    Replacing the entire shaft (given the labour involved) may be more cost effective than doing one boot at a time.

Good Luck.

Stuey,

If it's the shaft that is a two piece variety, take a word to the wise before you start; when you seperate it at the halfway joint, the triax, be very careful how you extract the joint as there's 96 needle races in there (don't ask how I know) Carefully wrap it in a plastic bag and wrap duct tape around it tightly to stop the three balls falling off.

I have to replace an outer one on the 16V and as I replaced this about two years ago with a genuine, I'm not all that impressed with the genuine part (or perhaps the way I fitted it, who knows) but I have spoken to Peter Routley a BX16V owner as well as a couple of other Cits and he works for a company that sells driveshafts, boots and all that type of gear and he reckons there's a German stretch boot that works well on them. Using these, you drop the axle out of the hub, leave the shaft in the car thereby avoiding the risk of losing the needles or in the case of the other side, needing to replace the gearbox seal as well as the transmission oil, and using a cone and silicone spray, stretch it over the end, clamp it & then trim it.
    He reckons it's done in half the time for a fraction of the cost. Some of these parts guys charge an arm & a leg for the genuine ones and Pete reckons these are every bit as good. I think he can supply the others also if you want to go that way.
    Look him up on the members list or I can give you his contact details.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

David, its done 150,000 km. I certainly won't be driving it until the boot's fixed, given the price of Mi driveshafts.

Alan, thanks for that tip. Do you know if the cone comes with the kit? I've seen them come with plastic cones.

I'll give Peter a hoy and see what he can offer me.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I couldn't tell you on that one but they reckon their prices are pretty right.
    He often pops up on a thread talking about some of the various things they handle which could make him & the place he works a handy contact for anyone with a FWD car.
    I know he got us out of strife with a steering rack boot that was far & away better then the original one and fitted without having to haul the rack out which is normal practice.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Yeah, the reason I asked this by the way was that I used aftermarket boots for the R12 ball joints, and they consistently only lasted a few months. Yep, that's right A FEW MONTHS. They cracked and fell apart. I'm just beginning to wonder now, after looking at the clever Mi heat shield (brake heat) on their ball joints, whether this would have worked on the ol' 12. Of course, serves me right for buying something made under the 'Kok' brand...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

.....so Stuey gets on the blower to the local Peugeot dealer's spare parts guy, wanting a price. They usually ask for the VIN, so Smug Stuey proudly rattles it off.....

Parts Guy: "Nah, that's not enough; I need the 12 digit part number off the boot...".

Stuey: "You're joking. It's covered in grease and still on the car!"

Parts Guy: "Can't help ya. I've got about ten boots for them on me books. It's easy though; the numbers are moulded in..."

So, can anyone out there do Braille? I'll supply hand cleaner and a couple of coldies...

Bah!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    .....so Stuey gets on the blower to the local Peugeot dealer's spare parts guy, wanting a price. They usually ask for the VIN, so Smug Stuey proudly rattles it off.....

Parts Guy: "Nah, that's not enough; I need the 12 digit part number off the boot...".

Stuey: "You're joking. It's covered in grease and still on the car!"

Parts Guy: "Can't help ya. I've got about ten boots for them on me books. It's easy though; the numbers are moulded in..."

So, can anyone out there do Braille? I'll supply hand cleaner and a couple of coldies...

Bah!

Stuey
    what does you parts manual say about the part ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

Rambo? You should be Pugeinstein!

Actually, I hadn't thought about that, but I've already ordered an outer and inner boot, plus lower engine mount and oil seal, from Caravelle. Ken didn't even question it - I asked him, but he said they only sell one. BTW the engine mount was a paltry $25 - that's CHEAP!

A weekend of grease planned. Lovely!

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information