MI16 Reliability?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 MI16 Reliability?

Just wondering if there are many other Mi owners that find they are always replacing something on their car?
    We have had 2 Mi's now, My 93 series 1 and we also had a 92 series 1 (sold now) . The 92 never had any issues apart from routine service where as my 93 always has something wrong, I get it serviced every 10,000 and anything that needs doing gets done, unfortunatly this costs a hell of a lot.
    I would never consider selling this car, for two reasons:
    1) It owes me too much money
    2) I love driving it so much
    But just curious as to wheather I'm alone in this or if it is common for Mi's to have lots of small problems?

Advertisement
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

Yep, BX16Vs are just the same; I should know as we have two in our house as well as 2 8 valve versions.
    The 8 valvers are pictures of reliability whilst the 16Vs are more like a hobby (definition: something to occupy all your spare time)

There are a few good reasons for this.
    Firstly, most high performance cars are temperamental in comparison to a family type car. As an example, an average Commodore driver expects 10s of thousands of klms without dramas; Mark Skaife is happy to get 500. Several reasons. The average Joe Blow drives at slower speeds and is not driving "on the edge" as Skaife does. By comparison, the average Mi16/BX16V is usually above the 5K mark on the tacho whilst the 8 valve rarely if ever sees that figure, as a result the 16s create more vibration, more heat, more friction and are in total further stressed and more often than the 8 valve versions.
    Secondly, take a look under the bonnet; impressive? Nightmare? Complicated? all these things and more pass through anyones head when they first open the bonnet. A lot of Repairers realise this and use it to their advantage to talk up the accounts, as a result, to these types, a loose plug lead suddenly becomes a "Service to ECU" and overheating due to air in the system becomes "suspected head gasket failure" or Thermostat or something that can justify hours instead of minutes to rectify (I wonder how you fit a water pump without unbolting anything?)
    I think it is a must that anyone owning one of these cars has at worst, basic DIY skills or they become cannon fodder for these fairy stories that have cost some owners (one car bought by a member on here) mega bucks, in this case $10K in 18 months and still had a car that didn't go.
    You have to be capable of checking things yourself and doing a fair amount of the general service yourself or they will both cost you a fortune and be unreliable, and neither are necessarilty the fault of the car.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I have to agree with you,
    I must say though I'm the kind of person that will replace anything that's not right(e.g broken clips, loose wires ect.) I have never had any major engine probs(touch wood) just everything else around the engine that fails.
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by danemi16
    Just wondering if there are many other Mi owners that find they are always replacing something on their car?
    We have had 2 Mi's now, My 93 series 1 and we also had a 92 series 1 (sold now) . The 92 never had any issues apart from routine service where as my 93 always has something wrong, I get it serviced every 10,000 and anything that needs doing gets done, unfortunatly this costs a hell of a lot.
    I would never consider selling this car, for two reasons:
    1) It owes me too much money
    2) I love driving it so much
    But just curious as to wheather I'm alone in this or if it is common for Mi's to have lots of small problems?
    I hear you buddy, I can't sell mine after the cash I have spent on it. New motor, gearbox etc.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

I hear you buddy, I can't sell mine after the cash I have spent on it.
    also in the same boat..

I've spent alot money this year to keep mine running well.. Kinda scared to take it on long drives, don't trust it anymore at all...
    1990 series 1, 405 Mi16 <-- Sold
    1998 Nissan 180sx TypeX, 2lt, rwd Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    also in the same boat..

I've spent alot money this year to keep mine running well.. Kinda scared to take it on long drives, don't trust it anymore at all...
    Must say I trust mine on long drives but I just kringe at the bill when I get it serviced!

But in all fairness to me beloved Mi, I still have not found a car I enjoy driving more than my pug
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

Cal

Mine is bullet proof and costs me bugger all to keep on the road. Would drive it to Melbourne tomorrow.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

[QUOTE=danemi16]Must say I trust mine on long drives but I just kringe at the bill when I get it serviced!

But in all fairness to me beloved Mi,
    I still have not found a car I enjoy driving more than my pug
    :roflmao

same, I always look forward to driving it..

Mine is bullet proof and costs me bugger all to keep on the road. Would drive it to Melbourne tomorrow.

Cal.
    how many owners has yours been through cal?

how many owners has yours been through cal?[/QUOTE]

Damn cal, you're lucky! I'm the second owner of my car and we purchased it with less than 20,000kms on the clock, so ithas been extremly well looked after and I still have trouble with it. We did have a 92 Mi with 140,000kms and we sold it at about 260,000kms and never had any trouble what so ever. So I don't know, some are alot of work and then there's the odd one that's not!
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

mine has been through about 5 different owners... had 200,000 kms on it when i got to it.. alot of things needed ironing out when I bought it.

and what of that poor fellows series 2 (silver) parked/abandonned at the beginning of the freeway in Adelaide last night? Do you reckon he's happy?

edgedweller

i think just some mi16s must be troublesome, because mine has 407,000k's on it, only thing i have replaced is the ignition amplifier which went about 10,000k's ago. apart from that it runs fine, and this is on the original engine with no major overhauls, just regular servicing!
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Fellow Frogger!

haven't seen that yet. Am I the only Adelaidean on this forum who owns an mi16? I have seen a few others driving round but they aren't that common.

Greg
    1984 505 STI

I've had 3 Mi16-engined vehicles, 2 x 1.9 405 Mi16's and a 309 Mi16. All have been rather unreliable. I think it's age more than anything that makes them a bit fragile. My current engine was rebuilt yet even so I've still had the cambelt snap and a very bad oil leak to fix up.
    405 MI16
    170bhp
    Le lion va de la force la force!

ive had my mi16 for close to 18 months now and it has cost me quite a packet.

I paid more than the average to start with, as it had extremely low kays for a 92 model car.

Since then ive had the timing belt done twice (but thats my own fault, a non-frog-knowing mechanic did it the first time - incorrectly) and just in general servicing and upkeep, it has cost me close to 7k in the time ive owned it (i know this cos it all went on tax!) but that does include tyres, tinting etc etc.

am i unhappy with what ive spent??

not at all - i understand that she is a "highly tuned" car, and she generally gets driven as such , im quite happy to keep up regular maintenance and replace things before they break.

As yet, the only issue ive ever had with her (touch wood) is when she felt as though she'd dropped a cylinder.... dirty fuel stikes again!
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

I've had mine for about 5 years now,has 140k on the clock and it costs a bit every now and then, but consider it super reliable and that includes towing a boat Brisbane-Sydney, Bris-Yeppoon every now and then. The engine seems bullet proof just little annoying things like ABS lights that turn out to be something to do with brake light switches etc.
    Though we all like to have fun now and then, i find the price of fuel these days is good at keeping me away from 5's on the tacho! This probably helps with running costs too maybe.
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

Ive had my series 1 for around 30 months, done 90000 k in that time and love driving it. It has cost around 8K in services and maintenance in that time, which I thought was way excessive but these posts reassure me that it is not unusual, and I am still fixing things that were really caused by poor servicing before I got it. Even at 60 k it feels like you're riding a motorbike, which to me is the essence of the car and why I dont give up and would buy another. Cheers Greg

Thread Information