205 GTI Clutch Cable
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 GTI Clutch Cable

Snappy snappy. In heavy traffic, natch.

So. How does one find one? I'm trying to ascertain my build date but without a chassis number, I don't know what the build date is because it's a private import (offers over $5K on a postcard) and we can't work out what the gearbox type is (I'm stupid, mechanic not very well informed by Peugeot in Parramatta).

Advertisement

Any ideas or, even better, anyone in posession of a clutch cable for this wee beastie?

There's a company in Melbourne who make cables (including clutch) for just about anything.
    Prices are usually much cheaper than new. Just send or take the old cable in & they'll make it up for you.
    Be quicker and cheaper and surer I'd reckon.

AUTO CABLES PTY LTD
    3 ELISA CLOSE
    GREENSBOROUGH
    VICTORIA 3088
    WEB www.autocables.com.au

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

do 205's have the little plastic clip on the pedal end of the cable

if so then i'd say this is the problem and for about $15 from a dealer you can get a new one and be on your way

i'll just check the parts CD's and let you know or if someone else beats me to it that knows i am sure they will let you know

i can't see why it would be that much different from a 405 setup which has the plastic clip
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by zerogeewhiz
    Snappy snappy. In heavy traffic, natch.

So. How does one find one? I'm trying to ascertain my build date but without a chassis number, I don't know what the build date is because it's a private import (offers over $5K on a postcard) and we can't work out what the gearbox type is (I'm stupid, mechanic not very well informed by Peugeot in Parramatta).

Any ideas or, even better, anyone in posession of a clutch cable for this wee beastie?

ok from what i can see there is a little metal clip that is held in place by a bolt to hold the cable in place

just make sure that is still holding the cable

if it is then another cable is what you will be after but a vin number will be needed to work out what part you need

a good investment for having such cars is linked below
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

forget to add

the later 205's do have the same setup as the 405 bieng the plastic clip

that is models with the BE3 gearbox or post 91
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

You guys rule, I will follow all of that up.

Cheers,

z.

Quote Originally Posted by zerogeewhiz
    You guys rule, I will follow all of that up.

Cheers,

z.

that's what we are all here for

let us know how you get on as i would be interested to know as i suppose you would as to what model you have
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

What amazes me is the complete lack of interest Peugeot Australia has in the older cars. I would imagine the 205 GTI is quite a cash cow for those who can supply the parts (UK and Australian prices differ significantly)...and as we know, Peugeot have never been shy about charging like wounded bull for cars and parts out here.

Anyway...

Turns out the clip broke. I was pretty sure I had a BE1 gearbox after someone told me that if reverse was up next to first I had a BE1. Is that true?

So, I dug a cable up in Brisbane, of all places from, the wrecker's list after working out which gearbox I had and just after the guy told me he'd sent the whole cable, my mechanic rings to tell me it was just the clip. So I now have a surplus clutch cable for a BE1 if ever anyone wants one...

There was a bit of a drama working out the gearbox because once I told the Peugeot parts guy it was a private import he refused to look up the chassis number because somehow magically he decided that he wouldn't be able to look it up. Words were exchanged.

So, again, thanks to everyone for your help. I confess that I didn't try the autocables option, but it's a ripper idea if I ever need some other type of cable.

Cheers,

z/.

i got mine replaced last week, i emailed autocables they are located in melbourne somewhere not to far out either, but the didnt have any 205 cables and if i wanted one i had to send them my broken one to use as a template.. so i just got my mechanic to replace it for me, 150 bob all up which i thought was pretty good! its funny though i posted pretty much the exact same thread about 10 days ago and got DONUTS in the way of replies! wheres the love!

Tadpole

$60 labour and parts in the end for me. I didn't end up using the OEM cable which was $75. Interestingly, the the place which is apparently first stop for Euro parts, ASV, had 3 cars, all with suitable clutch cables and/or clips but 'were to &%*$ing lazy to look' according to the mechanic. I think there's something in that for all of us.

Word up to Peugeotspares in Everton in QLD for finding the cable and being as quick as a flash about it as well as seriously reasonble.

Cheers,

z.
    Last edited by zerogeewhiz; 27th November 2004 at 01:51 PM.

Thread Information