505 Radiator mods
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default 505 Radiator mods

Hi Guys
    I want to put in a bigger radiator in my 505 sti auto which toes my racing kart around the countryside. It gets hot like 2 marks above the halfway point. I know a couple of guys have fitted larger radiators but have forgotten specifics on which radiators were fitted. SO Can anyone tell me a specific heavy duty radiator,, I have heard Holden 253 radiators work. I hope someone can guide me in the right direction
    Thanks
    Nick Mega

Advertisement

All I can say is that fitting a standard 505 radiator to my 504 worked wonders... I'm surprised you have a problem.

Maybe give it a bit of a cleanout?

Tadpole

Default It is clean

The radiator etc are all clean. i like to sit a bit above the speed limit (shh) and i find the think heats up and anyway I have plans for engine mods(turbo or v6) so i will need bigger radiator anyways. All fans work as well
    Thanks for your time in replying guys
    regards
    Nick

Check out 6-cyl Cortina ones then... they have a similar crossflow rad that might be fittable.

Maybe some of the later Falcons too... I haven't looked at this stuff for a long time. One 504 I had was fitted with a 240K radiator, that went in fairly well... maybe a 280ZX?

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7 505 Radiator Fan mod

This thread is interesting.

A few days ago I was looking at a modification made by a friend with his 505 STI manual.

He was experiencing higher than normal operating temperatures, especially with the A/C operating. After a check of the radiator tubes and core, the A/C condenser core for airflow blockage etc, it turned out that the viscous coupling fan was not 'locking up' at the higher temperatures. The car has done aprroximately 360,000 km.

Due to the expense of a replacement fan coupling, that has been removed and replaced with a Repco supplied electric fan (Craig Davies equivalent). The fan and associated shroud occupy about 90% of the radiator core area, and was a very easy fit.

The removable plug located on the lower left hand radiator tank was replaced with a 504 fan thermo-switch (it screws straight in). This then controls the relay circuit for powering the electric fan. Naturally, the existing A/C condenser fan continues to operate normally.

The end result was a return to normal operating temperature indications, which remain stable under all driving conditions. The slight HP gain from not having to drive the viscous coupling fan is also a welcome benefit.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

a near perfect replacement radiator for a 504/505 is a holden 253 unit

the holden one has been used more times mainly in 504's than you can poke a stick at
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Default viscous fan

i am sure the viscous fan works... had it checked. the temp thing is only an issue when towing a trailer with 350 to 450 kg of kart and accessories. otherwise its ok.
    when you mention the lower left side of radiator do you mean passengers side?
    I quipped with my mechanic that to check viscous coupling then to rev engine to 5 grand then put a bit of 2 by 1 wood between fan blades..... If u wake up in hospital then the fan coupling is ok.
    He enjoyed that then told me I am a true genius
    Thanks guys

Nick

farmerdave

Does the autobox cool its fluid into the bottom of the radiator (or elsewhere in the cooling system)? I'm thinking that the towing may be causing the auto to dump more heat into the cooling system.
    An aftermarket transmission cooler may help things here, and will certainly extent the life of the transmission.

Farmerdave

Tadpole

Default yes

the auto does go to the radiator...i plan on a manual box soon.. i happily can count to 5 so am happy to change gears. I feel most autos mar what are otherwise good cars.
    does anyone know the thread and dimensions of the auto tranny hoses into the radiator and also the dimensions and thread of the radiator switch down low on the drivers side?
    whilst i am at it anyone know of a lower temp thermostat that will fit a 505 sti?
    thanks again
    Nick

Originally posted by pugrambo
    a near perfect replacement radiator for a 504/505 is a holden 253 unit

the holden one has been used more times mainly in 504's than you can poke a stick at
    I think you mean the HQ core, which has to be shortened to fit in the Peugeot?

By the way, anybody ever looked at a Vanguard 6 or Triumph 2000/2.5PI radiator?

Tadpole

Default how?

How do you shorten a radiator... i spoke with my mechanic re this a fortnite ago and he said cutting radiators was not easy.. I am going to choose a replacement that is plentiful.. ie holden or ford. rather than an obscure low volume unit which will proove nitemarish to refurbish replace down the line.
    Thanks
    Nick

Originally posted by Duderduderini
    How do you shorten a radiator... i spoke with my mechanic re this a fortnite ago and he said cutting radiators was not easy.....
    With great difficulty... your mechanic is right...

.....I am going to choose a replacement that is plentiful.. ie holden or ford. rather than an obscure low volume unit which will prove nightmarish to refurbish or replace down the line.
    Thanks
    That being the case, look among today's popular cars. But don't forget that the one in your car at the moment was built to do the job and probably will with some margin to spare when in good condition.

As for modifying one, or using an orphan... I would suggest that if you get something out of the ordinary, get two done. Leave one with someone who can freight it to you if you're on a trip and run into strife.

I would also say to steer clear of alloy rads...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    I think you mean the HQ core, which has to be shortened to fit in the Peugeot?

By the way, anybody ever looked at a Vanguard 6 or Triumph 2000/2.5PI radiator?

i meant any holden 253 radiator and no they don't have to be shortened at all

i shortened one for a reason but as a rule you modify the lower mounts and in they go no trouble at all
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

anything out of an 80's falcon should fit as well

falcon cores are used in 604's so i'd say a falcon rad should fit in a 505 without dramas
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Default 253 commodore?

Thanks for your replies guys.
    Pugrambos do you mean a commodore 253 radiator then or any 253 radiator?
    Thanks guys for all your advice
    Looks like the holden has it
    253 to zero

Or 308...

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hi Nick,
    By lower left of the radiator, I was referencing that to the left side as you lean over the grill - that is, the same side as the bottom hose, air filter etc.

I also agree with the comment that the standard cooling system has adequate reserve capacity for high ambient temperatures, A/C operation etc. Our '84 Executive (manual) has coped with all of those conditions, including towing a 6x4 trailer with a cage, loaded with fire-wood etc with no change in running temperatures.

On our S2 505 GTI (auto), increasing temperatures in traffic conditions was traced to a failed thermo-fan switch in the radiator. On this model, it operates a bit like the 405 Mi16 system, giving two different fan cut in temperatures, and thus two fan speeds (lower temp setting = low fan speed etc).

Good luck with what ever your solution.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Default Radiator Mods etc

Kimdeb.
    Burn into your brain this small tip. When describing a problem always remember that the Left and Right sides of your car are as viewed from the drivers seat. Being the same for all countries it avoids error and confusion.
    When I spent 2yrs working in England as a mechanic this problem was even more confusing when you would get a repair order describing something as being "offside or nearside". I would take the RO back to the w/shop controller and ask him to translate! Cheeky bloody Colonial.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    I also agree with the comment that the standard cooling system has adequate reserve capacity for high ambient temperatures, A/C operation etc. Our '84 Executive (manual) has coped with all of those conditions, including towing a 6x4 trailer with a cage, loaded with fire-wood etc with no change in running temperatures.

two blokes i know of in young that had 504 wagons for quite a number of years and who also did a lot of towing their caravans around always put the holden 253 rads in their cars to prevent them from overheating

with the standard rads in the car they just wouldn't handle the load of towing a van and by van i mean those pop top jayco ones

the standard rads are fine for normal driving if everything else is ok but i really don't think that they are designed for this country with the added load of towing

504's 505's and 604's have always needed a little hand in keeping cool in the heat of summer in my opinion
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Then how come the 505 radiator is so much better in the 504?

And when I'm towing the trailer in summer heat, as I did early this year with the 505 on the car trailer, I don't have a moment's bother...

Tadpole

Default and the saga goes on

driving home today in 30 degree plus heat and the car is running 1 line over half... add to that a 500 kg trailer and one lead foot, so I am about to take the good ladies subaru.
    Just spoke to my mechanic... we need to know the following
    a)253 radiator.. is is the commodore crossflow one (tanks on the side?)
    if not which one specifically
    b) what is involved in mounting it up
    c)how do you connect the auto tranny hoses? as in do u need holden banjo bolts or modification?
    d) i dont hear the electric fan cut in unless i have air con on, the switch down low on drivers side of radiator.. is that the switch? If not which is it
    I was looking forward to a weekend with the Pug but have had to turn Japanese
    yet again
    Thank you all for all of your help....
    This is a hot country, european cars have always struggled here.. My fiat, my mates BMW etc etc...

Big Radiator ...mmmmm
    regards
    Nick

the holden rad had the tanks on the sides from memory

use the holden bolts for the tranny and the pipes

the lines for the tranny are part steel and part rubber so you can run the steel part as far as you need and then mate it all up with the rubber hoses

your local rad bloke should have diagrams and dimensions for the holden for sure

if you send owen willumien(sp?) an email or PM he might even still have my old 253 rad there that was in a 504 but i am unsure if it was an auto or manual one as i had a manual box in the car

i ran two thermo fans hard wired on the car i had the rad in and they cut in at just over 1/2 way on the guage and if the car was switched off while they were running they would run till the coolant cooled down enough to flick them off

sounded like a 747 coming into land

you will need to look at hoses to make sure they are long enough

from memory i used a cut down 604 top hose
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

If you're going to do it you have to do it right...

The Pug radiator has the inlet and outlet at the same end, so that means the radiator has a blanking plate in that end so the water runs across, down and back.

You really should set the Holden one up to do the same if you're going to use it, as then you can make it so the original hoses still fit.

If the Holden unit has banjo fittings, you should be able to make the Pug auto lines screw straight on.

But I still say you're much better off using the original. They more than do the job... and one point over half is not exactly overheating!

Essentially, if your temp gauge isn't always showing the same temp, it needs work... the thermostat's job is to keep the temperature constant.

The original radiator has been proved to be well capable of doing the job, it's just a matter of helping ensure that it is in good enough shape.

After all, you'll do that to any Holden radiator you modify, and pay for the modifications as well.

the only pug rads that i have had that have done their job have been in the 405 and 306

all the earlier pugs have run a lot warmer when i have been towing something in the summer months or when they have been working hard going over mountain ranges

all my pugs have had well maintained cooling systems and all my earlier ones have always had a stocking in the hose that is cleaned out monthly to catch any junk

earlier pug rads aren't good enough for summers in this country

i have done a fair bit of towing around the countryside in various pugs and most of the time towing a kart trailer

the 604 i had with a formoco rad core in it was great and never looked like getting hot

the 504 with the holden kept it's cool even though it was a motor that ran warmer than a standard V6 due to the work that had been done to it

my standard TI's ran hot when towing but with the holden rad didn't

the boys in young never had a problem with the temps using holden rads but did with 504 rads in them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

But you never ran a 504 with a 505 radiator?

They do the job... as explained... never get hot when in good shape. Like I said, in hot summer conditions I towed the car trailer with the 505 from your place to Meerschaum Vale... mountains and flat country... and then back with a 504 wagon loaded on it... that must be about 800kms each way, all in hot summer weather.

Never looked like getting hot. Even up the Moonbi Range... it's a phurphy to say you need to make a special radiator up and then have to tolerate all the other problems.

Just make the original one like new again. Would cost less and work just as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information