Problems 206 Gti 180?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Problems 206 Gti 180?

I guess this is my first newbie thread so please dont flame me....

Im about to take delivery of a new 206 gti 180, but reading through this forum i see problems with the 180.

Hot air issues with air/con
    Fuel gauge issues
    Notchy gear box

Is the car that bad??? Im starting to have second thoughts about buying this car.

One of my previous cars was holden astra Sri, i guess you call it european since it came from belgium. Bought new and had many problems with it

Gear box oil leak,
    Groaning from brakes when stopping in reverse
    numerous rattles

Have not come across many if any praising the gti 180 from current owners. Is the 180 another european dud like the opel astra SRi.

Dont mean to disrespect the car but I dont want to go down the same path twice.

Advertisement

Comments appreciated.....
    04' GTi 180

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

firstly welcome

secondly did you take a 180 for a drive and if so what did you think of it ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    firstly welcome

secondly did you take a 180 for a drive and if so what did you think of it ?
    Yes i did take the car for a test drive. I thought it went well having good acceleration and handling. But its hard to know if a car has problems on only 1 test drive and being new.

Hence im reading the forum to see owners feedback on gti 180's that have clocked up a few kms on the odometer...

Im more then happy to tell people to stay away from the holden astra SRi. If it means its going to stop them going through alot of heartache....

Fellow Frogger!

OMG : Reality Check

go to any "Consumer Car Comments" webpage such as www.peachorlemon.co.uk and every car will have a bad review. It is just common knowledge that you only gripe when things don't go your way.

Infact Toyota is the worlds best "mass produced" quality manufacturer but still has 190 anomolies per 100 cars. And i don't think there is justification in saying it was a 5:00 friday car as most plants now run 24/7. It just depends on whether your Mathematical 1.9 "defects" are a pain in the arse.

Default Dont worry - you'll love the car

Howdy & welcome to AF

Firstly a car is about the most complex thing you'll ever buy. You will get some niggling problems with it but take a pug for a drive on your favourite bit of twisty road and the smile on your face will be reward enough.

A few of the 180 owners on here have been a bit "precious" in my books as they expected another 205 gti or expected their car to be the best performing car in the world - I dont know - take it all with a pinch of salt. I do.

Anyhow to the issue at hand:
    1. Aircon - Never turn the climate control off and you'll never get a problem. I have had my GTI138 for 2 years and have never turned it off so I dont know about a hot air problem.

2. Fuel Gague issues - Hardly a big issue really If I fill my tank right up it says it's full - if I do it to the first click only it doesnt - If this is a big complaint then yeah... I dont know

3. Notchy Gearbox - The 180 uses a different shift mechanism to the GTI138 and it is a lot smoother in my opinion. Personally I like the notchiness of the gearshift in my 138 (with quickshift fitted) as you always know which gear your in and where the gates are etc and the throw is very short and positive.

If you buy the car - buy it for yourself and the enjoyment you get. Dont buy it or not buy it from the whinges/complaints of others here - You'll get that with any car found on just about any internet forum dedicated to a car. Remember the people on any forum are a fairly narrow cross section of owners.

If you want to check out more common issues go to somewhere like www.peugeotlogic.com or maybe http://206gti.net

With my 138 I've had a few issues like a leaking rear main seal & electronics gremlins but this is really not a big problem. The support and service I have received from my dealer has made the process of repair simple and quick. Unlike that of some of the bigger australian manufacturers and problems with certain V8's using vast quantities of oil....

Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by blackster
    Im about to take delivery of a new 206 gti 180, but reading through this forum i see problems with the 180.

Fuel gauge issues
    Notchy gear box

Hi Blackster - fellow newbie here, and still consider myself new to my 180 - and I would have to agree with Gti138 with the fact the issues from my point of view are only very very minor, certainly I could write a lot more in terms of what I am happy with!

As for aircon - it looks after itself, and it wasnt until i read about the hot air issue here, that i thought i would check it out, and no, didn't have the same issue...so it will stay on - it is climate control afterall

Fuel Gauge, never really noticed the 7/8ths thing, I just know when it gets low, put some more in it - certainly hasn't effected the cars performance!

And as for the gears, it took me a little bit of getting used to the gates, not being used to the short throw, and after suffering work vehicles (all toyotas - all auto's) was glad to get used to the 180's box

I am certainly happy, very happy and could only (as i do to friends!) recommend it!!! certainly check out the other websites (as per Gti138) and I may not be the biggest automotive expert ( ) but I do know i like my pug

Sly

Fuel gauge issues
    Notchy gear box
    Hiya,
    I'm a GTi138 owner, just confirming what the other guys are saying, all those issues are very minor.

the hot air issue i didn't even know about till the thread here came up and then when I tried it out I thought "So what"

Haven't noticed the fuel gauge thing

notchy gearbox - can't comment on the 180, but I've a QS installed which is very notchy and I don't mind it.

Overall, the comments I hear about the 180 are all very positive, alot of dudes that upgraded from the 138 are loving it. Have a look at 206GTi.net

Cheers
    Mark
    PugPugPug

You must have been looking for the "general applause and appreciation" thread, blackster -- that's somewhere else. These are just the "bitch'n'moan" threads ...

I think you'll have to look pretty hard to find too many people who are going to say "Oops! This has all been a ghastly mistake", but for the record, I think I speak for most 206GTi drivers when I say that I'm every bit as rapt in it now as I was when I first drove it.

Although more electronic systems usually just means more potential points of failure, I can't see that you should have any more problems with a 180 than I've had with my 138, providing you treat it right. Which is not to say that there haven't been any -- just not enough, and not major enough, to take the edge off the experience.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

i`ve had my 206GTI180 for 7months now and i still can`t take the smile on my face went i drive it

i`ve had no prombles with my 180 (touch wood) i`ve done just over 10,000kims in it,
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Thanks for the feedback so far, the problems seem trivial from the above mentioned responces.

One thing does worry me I was told by one of the sales guys today that GTi 180 burns oil and this is normal. That every 2000km you should replace 1 litre of oil.

Is this true and if it is how can it be normal?

I have to agree with the other comments posted so far, I have had mine for almost 6 months now and clocked up 14,000 kms and have never even thought of any of the little issues some ppl have mentioned,
    where in sydney are you?? I am hapy for you to take mine for a drive to see what they are like being a little more run in. PM me if you like.

oil what is that??? first 10,000km and there was still full 5 bar on the oil indicator

I have to agree with jfn180....smile after smile

Here are the things that I love about my car -

Handling and stability - need I say anymore??I love the ride...French...stiff...but confident...the torsion bar rear end and extra rear trailing arm supports make it agile and forgiving...very forgiving!!!

Engine performance - a great linear power spread across the rev range particularly above the 4,500rpm mark....variable valve fun...torquey and powerful....or subtle and quite depending on how you feel

Gearbox - after owning a '00 GTI the 180's 1st gear is what all GTI's should have.....this does allow you take advantage of the 180's higher reving engine but even in a GTI 133 it would change the character of the vehicle...and the 180's use a cable selection devise instead of gear rods...I feel it's aswell as a shorter throw it has a better feel

Brakes - excellent response,no fade even under track conditions... I think this system is perfectly matched to the car - ABS,EBD,ASR incorperating TCS...snappy

So far 13,500km and 7 months owning my 180...no dramas...a rattle in the window on delivery...fixed the next day....happy

206's have had some prob's with the introduction of the multiplex wiring system which caused all the ECU/BSI and COMM2000 faults(indicator and lighting stalks)but the 180's seem to be OK....so far
    As for oil consumption I'm not aware of this? but my advise is to change your oil every 5-10,000km
    But for 36K - the seats,the safety,the smart clean looks...my advise is buy it,drive it and love it - I have....

Cheers
    GTI145
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

I agree with all these guys, all smiles and the "problems" I'd classify as niggles rather than anything major. I've had it since July and putting it in for it's 10000Km service tomorrow. I'm going to miss it while it's away, I know that much!

Nick

One thing to remember - The car's French - it has it's quirks. But that's what makes me love it more
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Hey Blackster, I'm one of those guys who has supposedly been "bitching" about the 180. There have been a couple of electronic problems, which now seem to have been rectified, but the car itself is brilliant. I'm about to take my 4th trip out to the airport today, just for the fun of driving it. I swear I must be on some security watchlist with the amount I head out there. I go for the round abouts, the only decent (safe) corners close to where I live.

I've had the car 4 months now and am just about to hit 13,000kms. Buy the 180 & you'll find yourself looking for challenging drives. In fact it's become my main source of entertainment these days. The other thing about the 180 is that it's comparitively rare. See how many Cooper S' there are on the roads. The 180 is pretty much it's equal in terms of speed & handling, not everyone has one and it's 5 grand cheaper. It's a good buy.

As with any mass produced product there are going to be individual cars which have some problems, minor & major. The ones I've seen on here are all minor irritations & the people discussing it are not necessarily complaining, but using the forum to get advice and learn from other's experience. I haven't yet seen one of these guys completely bagging the car. Just frustrated that something they've invested a lot of money into doesn't always work the way it should.

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Howdy & welcome to AF

A few of the 180 owners on here have been a bit "precious" in my books...

2. Fuel Gague issues - Hardly a big issue really If I fill my tank right up it says it's full - if I do it to the first click only it doesnt - If this is a big complaint then yeah... I dont know

By the way, GTI138, if you'd read my post about the fuel guage properly you would notice that I did fill the tank, not just stopping at the first click. You might also have realised that this has only started in the past few days and that the way in which the guage drops in an exagerated manner is also an issue.

I'm certainly glad that your fuel guage works perfectly. But if i can be a little "precious", next time before publicly dismissing my concern as me being too stupid to know how to properly fill my car, why don't you try using a little intellect yourself and reading what I've said correctly. I suggest you try sounding out the words if you find it difficult.
    Last edited by Industrie; 26th November 2004 at 01:02 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

whoa - some people fire up easy. I don't think Gti138 meant to imply that you were an absolute ****tard - you must have read into it too personally. He has simply pointed out (not pointing at) that when HE fills the tank completely HIS guage says full.

My car is not even a Gti180 so dont even bother reading this post if you think your car is the best car ever manufactured. But i have a modern PSA vehicle. The Xsara CoupeVTS.
    I have heard of people complaining about the digital oil guage not being accurate everytime you start the car. *Depends on whether you have parked on level ground.
    The car stalls intermittently at clutch in to coast. *Idle Stepper Motor and/or double relay needs attention.
    Sticking a club lock in the rear footwell slides under seat and causes airbag lights to flicker on dash when the sensitive wiring is damaged.

But something - the one thing and only major gripe so far is : "I" believe the rear brakes aren't disengaging properly. ie. they wont fully retract - but i cannot convince anyone yet. perhaps im crazy - many have said so.

-Q.

Zen

Thanks for the feedback so far, the problems seem trivial from the above mentioned responces.

One thing does worry me I was told by one of the sales guys today that GTi 180 burns oil and this is normal. That every 2000km you should replace 1 litre of oil.

Is this true and if it is how can it be normal?
    This is the biggest load of sh*t I've ever heard, the guy should be fired for making comments as stupid as that. I've done over 20,000km and have not needed to top up the oil.

Most of the things I've heard in regards to faults have been isolated cases and those that are prevalent are niggling things and not that big a deal (eg. hot air coming from the vents when A/C is off). I agree with the other 180 owners in saying the car is very enjoyable but take it for a good drive and form your own opinion.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    By the way, GTI138, if you'd read my post about the fuel guage properly you would notice that I did fill the tank, not just stopping at the first click. You might also have realised that this has only started in the past few days and that the way in which the guage drops in an exagerated manner is also an issue.

I'm certainly glad that your fuel guage works perfectly. But if i can be a little "precious", next time before publicly dismissing my concern as me being too stupid to know how to properly fill my car, why don't you try using a little intellect yourself and reading what I've said correctly. I suggest you try sounding out the words if you find it difficult.
    I rest my case.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

all the later pugs are supposed to use oil

i have never had to top up either 405 i had nor the 306 i have now

my mother has never needed to top up her 206 nor the 405 she had before that

i do oil changes every 8000 or 6 months whatever comes first

normally 6 months as it doesn't travel that far in a year

but if you liked the drive you had and if you take up the offer of taking a run in one for a drive and you are still impressed then you will never look back after getting one

a pug is like a box of pringles

once you pop you can't stop
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Seems pretty conclusive -- buy the 180, but from another rep. If you're asked why, make sure you explain why you wouldn't buy the one he was selling. This guy either doesn't know his facts, or doesn't like selling things.

At 120,000-odd kms now, I still only change my 138's oil at the recommended 20000 km intervals, and I still never need to top it up from one oil change to the next.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    Seems pretty conclusive -- buy the 180, but from another rep. If you're asked why, make sure you explain why you wouldn't buy the one he was selling. This guy either doesn't know his facts, or doesn't like selling things.
    That sounds like good advice, Mr Bern. I am mystified by the "180 uses oil" comment myself. Maybe they had a dodgy one out the back that they wanted to get rid of

I'm happy to say mine doesn't use any oil either (after 15k) and my 138 before it and the 306 XT before that...

Oh, and I'm very happy with my car, even without the rose-coloured specs.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I guess this is my first newbie thread so please dont flame me....

Fuel gauge issues
    Notchy gear box

Is the car that bad??? Im starting to have second thoughts about buying this car.

One of my previous cars was holden astra Sri, i guess you call it european since it came from belgium. Bought new and had many problems with it

Gear box oil leak,
    Groaning from brakes when stopping in reverse
    numerous rattles

Have not come across many if any praising the gti 180 from current owners. Is the 180 another european dud like the opel astra SRi.

Dont mean to disrespect the car but I dont want to go down the same path twice.

Hot air? -Mine does do it but as jester_fu stated, it can be sorted

Fuel Gauge - Took me awhile to figure out how to fill it full. No sender issue but the breather line is sensitive to the flow rate of fuel going in and the angle of the car when filling. If I don't care, it'll only fill up 7/8. But if i fill it up slowly after the first click, really slowly (like, 20secs a litre) and I always use the same local pump as the inground tank connection is in front of the pump and raised slightly, so the car filler side is slightly higher, then I have no problems filling it up to full. I've also found the gauge at first falls faster during the top half of the guage than it does during the bottom half. All other cars I've driven this is usually the other way around. So is it a fault? Perhaps, but it's more about french car character than anything else or is that a polite way to suggest it's a fault

Notchy gearbox? I haven't noticed this. The shifts are short, light and fairly precise but it isn't like a bolt action on a rifle. I've driven much worse.

Only other issue I've had was my passenger seat reclining mechanism seized leaving the passenger seat with a perminant "Lygon St" recline that was not comfortable. The seat frame was replaced under warrentee by the dealer five weeks later! This happened after 5 days of ownership and the frame had to be inported into the country hense the 5 week wait (after been told 2 weeks by the dealer )

Recently, I have noticed a "clunk" noise from the front end when turning the wheel from hard left to almost hard right, when reversing. I'll be asking about this at the next service.

These are all minor issues. I've done 7000kms and used no oil despite my best efforts on occasion!

Find your favourite bit of blacktop as all is soon fogotten!

XTC

Miles of Smiles from this GTi owner Nough said.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I've had to top the oil up once, recently. I put in a litre at 12,000kms (in leiu of the suggested oil change at 10,000 which I haven't had the opportunity to do). I put this down to the way I drive. I figure the car is meant to be revved, but also my gearshifts could be a lot smoother. This is not due to the gearbox at all, but my driving style, so it's not a whinge. I'm trying to become a lot more cohesive.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information