GTi180 ECU upgrade..
  • Register
  • Help

Default GTi180 ECU upgrade..

Just a bit of a query..When in for a service i asked about the later version that was released in may,they checked the VIN and said it came back as not applicable to my car...

This is a dec 2003 build/jan 2004 comped car,purchased in june,so from what i understand..this has to mean its already been done?.Its just they seemed to treat it like a recall/warranty issue and were checking if there were any outstanding "issues" in their database for the car.. :/.

Advertisement

There was a recall on some 206s for a software upgrade, but this didn't affect the 180. It was an earlier issue, I think. That being said, when I was having troubles with the electronics the dealer did download the latest software which seems to have resolved the problems I experienced. That is if my fuel guage problem isn't related.

There are new downloads available for the 180 almost every week now.
    All software transfer used be ex Malaysia.....eeek....now its direct from Manchester via the new "Peugeot Planet 2004" - great name!
    These upgrades are mostly for periphial devices such as pollution/BSI control/sensors-light-rain ETC...but may also influence fuel mapping.
    So as jester said ....COMPLAIN to your dealer about an electronic gremlim...and suggest a download.
    I will do my car next week....if there is any changes in performance I will...smile...then let you know..

GTi145
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

Asked if there was an ECU upgrade available at my service last Friday (26/11) but was told that Peugeot haven't authorised any.

Not sure if it's true or not, but they were very professional about all my other niggles.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by GTI145
    There are new downloads available for the 180 almost every week now.
    All software transfer used be ex Malaysia.....eeek....now its direct from Manchester via the new "Peugeot Planet 2004" - great name!
    These upgrades are mostly for periphial devices such as pollution/BSI control/sensors-light-rain ETC...but may also influence fuel mapping.
    So as jester said ....COMPLAIN to your dealer about an electronic gremlim...and suggest a download.
    I will do my car next week....if there is any changes in performance I will...smile...then let you know..

GTi145

Most software regarding patching (fuel gauge etc) and part number updates for muilitplexing are done by remote download from the PSA mainframe in France (level 3) and are stored directly to the diag unit's harddrive in some instance this is done directly to the vehicle.. but is risky... thats why dealers dont like downloading for in thier eye's little reason.. plus labour paided by PSA is poor for doing this...

diag is far from a reliable tool... and planet is basicly diag (same software with a new font...) on a laptop with a new interface program for 407 back to the facory mainframe. PSA is gearing the dealer network for less quailfied techs.... God help us all.. 16-20 year old techs alround.... cheap cheap... $100 an hour labour rate......

Malaysia is basicly a call center provided by the asia pacific distributor.. none of which are tech's, as such they are about as usful as a chocolate fire guard.

Dealers are not allowed to contact Manchester anymore...

Downloads dont always improve your car,,,,,, engine ECU downloads can have modified ing maps for poor fuel etc... retarded motor???? not good for 98 octane 180 drivers..... but it happened.... PSA dont care about 3 or 4 kw but do you??? ,,

Quote Originally Posted by J4RS
    Downloads dont always improve your car,,,,,, engine ECU downloads can have modified ing maps for poor fuel etc... retarded motor???? not good for 98 octane 180 drivers..... but it happened.... PSA dont care about 3 or 4 kw but do you??? ,,
    This is a pretty general statement, J4RS. Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? Is this a personal experience?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    I know what J4RS is saying... and i was warned about it with my Mi16 by the dealer... and never questioned it since. There is always the chance with software, just like on a PC, fixing one problem will create another. Especially on an older car where contact issues and sensor tolerances vary. The update released in March was an IMPROVEMENT in performance though, both in my car and the others the tech i know at the dealer drove. Thats why he rang me... so he could help me get speeding tickets easier What a nice bloke...

But, having said that, i've never heard such a thing about the GTi's pre or post mux. The main problem with the Mi's was the potential to damage the FLASH chip used to store the program... and then the car would not run. My understanding is the technology in the later model cars is much better, and lends itself to these updates.

My updates have always been done as part of a service. And, to be honest, i have noticed the labour time increase slightly in my regular service SOMETIMES when the diag is used. Not with the 180, but certainly the GTi. Really... if it fixes the problem, i'm not going to begrudge the dealer another $20. If it doesn't, they wont get the chance to charge me again, as i'll drag the car in just for warranty issues, and not servicing. If they simply wont entertain the idea there is an update that will help performance, ring around the dealers until you find one who will... and switch your service. I can gaurantee the March update is a HUGE improvement on any cars landed in Australia before March. Anything after will already have the update from the factory... so if she aint broke, dont fix it!
    nice.

just one thing .... bsi/engine ecu downloads still have problems... eg 307 transmission download that tell's the car's BSi it has a EMDE valve when it dose not... which then screws up the CAN info for the engine ecu.. another great fix.... for the shift pattern anyway...

The truth with the Dealers is..(as jester says) in simple terms .. the one's that will do it for you, have ability and will to do it... the other's unfortunately just dont know how!!! (belive it!!! seen it first hand) or they just dont care.....

Thread Information