406 coupe or GTI6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Icon10 406 coupe or GTI6

Hi Guys/gals,

I got a lovely new job (finaly in the grown up post uni world). As I am working for a charity organisation the salary sacrificing scheme is wonderful and I can pretty much claim anything. So I was thinking of getting a newer car. Got around 30K to spend but would like to keep in under if possible. Although I have that budget the though of being in reach of a 406 coupe is very inviting. So I guess I am wondering what you people think about comparison between the two cars. I know they are very different but just wondering if its worth spending tha extra for the lux/image of a coupe or sticking with the 2.0L dream the GTI6. What do owners of both think?

Advertisement

thanks
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i can't answer your question but i will say you are in the same position i was in in 97 when i was tossing up between the same cars

both were new cars then

well put it the other way the GTi-6 was about to be released soon and the coupe was already here

there were 2 reasons why i went with the GTi-6

1 - it was manual as opposed to the coupe bieng only available at that time in auto

2 - bang for buck was much more appealing with the GTi-6 as it was 30k+ cheaper than the coupe

in todays 2nd hand market though there is around 10k+ difference in price

i have only ever driven a coupe once and it was too long ago and too short a drive to comment but it was a damn nice car

i say take both for a drive and then set about thinking what you want the car for

the hatch will have more useable room but the coupe has pure sex appeal and that lovely V6 growl
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Cub

Icon14

I dont own either (got a 205), but I'd definately say a Gti6!...its such an awesome car and doesnt attract much attention despite its performance.

The Coupe looks nice but from what i read it doesnt drive that well ...

If you dont get the Gti6, in 5 years time you'll be one of those people combing through the classifieds regretting not having got it in early with such a classic hothatch...

Thats my
    CUB

Love the coupe... But the GTI6 would definately be the way for me. The 306 was just such a brilliant car, even in base form. From my experience they're also pretty indestructable.

I had the opportunity to buy a GTI6 a year ago, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't. I have an impression they're better than the 180. But your needs may be different to mine. Just think, though, with the coupe you're going to have higher rego & fuel costs along with the higher purchase price. You'll probably find that the 406 within your price range is older with higher mileage than the 306. I don't know about insurance costs & servicing though. You might find it hard to get insurance for the 306 at your age. I've been turned down by some companies, despite my rating 1 for life, because I'm under 30 & have a sports car.

Icon10

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have always been after a GTI6 as I have loved themform the word go. The coupe was always an admiriation from the perspective that there was no way I could ever afford one. I think I love the ideas of leather and lots of options that the 306 simply didn't have. Although it does have a lot more than my Mi16. I was in a similiar situation when I got my last Mi. I had to choose between a 205 Gti and my Mi. The Mi won easily due to comfort and the lux pack. Although not as quick definately a nicer car to be in.

I am inclined togo with the GTI6 so now I have to start looking. Insurance is never good for a 23 y'old male but looking around $1k-1300. Would also be able to do some nice mods to a cheaper car (body kit, wheels, exhaust etc)

thanks for the help so far.
    Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Is there something wrong with your Mi16 other than the bumpers colour?? Seriously, why are you thinking of going from one second hand car to another unkown one because you 'think' you have more cash to spend? Look at it this way: What are the only cars Peugeot put in the BTCC and Euro Tourers?? The T16's 405's. Why? Becasue on tarmac they have a brilliant chassis. So, if you seriously have the cash to burn... why not just make some mods to your Mi16? Serious tyres, rebuilt suspension, cam in the engine, maybe an exhaust or new ECU to easily get you above the GTi6 power... and have better chassis dynamics to boot!

I agree with industry on the age and condition of those cheaper Coupe's... and the fact they are Auto is also a putoff from my view point. So, at the cash to get a decent second hand 406Coupe, you could seriously start considering a new 307 or 206GTi180... and then you can get the rose coloured glasses!! At that sort of cash for a second hand car, the GTi6 would win my vote.

HI Jester,

I intend to keep the Mi as I have done al those mods you mentioned (excluding ECU). The Mi is wonderful but not as modern a car as I would like. I don't think I could sell it as I have spent too much on it. I think trade in price is around 2-3K and I have spent over 25K on it. You are right about the MI though, brilliant. I have been looking at a 206180 and drove one a week ago. Amazing car, fast modern etc but just a little small for me.

cheers
    Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

rek

David,

For good GTi6 insurance in Victoria try (surprisingly enough) RACV. I was paying something like $900pa last year when I was 23 living in Blackburn (not far from Vermont)

As for the decision it's a toughie.. I'd prefer to drive the GTi6, and being a hatch is more practical; but the comfort/aesthetic factor of the Coupe make a strong point on their own. If the coupe is an auto though it's an easy decision to make, autos are shit, let alone French ones

I wonder what sort of handling improvements can be made to a 406 Coupe to make it a bit more sporting?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

well they can't have been too bad handling wise as they were used in the BTCC

do a search and you are bound to come up with a couple of pics of some yellow coupes running around the tracks in England
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by rek
    David,

For good GTi6 insurance in Victoria try (surprisingly enough) RACV. I was paying something like $900pa last year when I was 23 living in Blackburn (not far from Vermont)

As for the decision it's a toughie.. I'd prefer to drive the GTi6, and being a hatch is more practical; but the comfort/aesthetic factor of the Coupe make a strong point on their own. If the coupe is an auto though it's an easy decision to make, autos are shit, let alone French ones

I wonder what sort of handling improvements can be made to a 406 Coupe to make it a bit more sporting?
    Hi Rek,
    that sounds promising about insurance. cheers. I don't really want an auto because as you said "shit". There have been a couple of 99 manuals under 35K in the past couple of months. To tell you the truth I am starting to lean towards the GTI6 as its what I have always wanted. Doesn't mean I wont test drive a hell of a lot of coupes though just in case.

Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

XTC

Having driven a manual 406 coupe .. it's not as sharp as your 206/306 GTi varieties .. but it's still a fantastic car .. engine pulls, seats comfortable, cruises and rides wonderful and it looks like sex on wheels (when it comes to pugs). If I was keeping my 206GTi .. I'd buy the 406 coupe without question, if I had to give the 206 up I'd think about it harder and still buy the 406 .. maybe I'm getting too old ... hahahahaha

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

you could always get a yellow (the only colour for a 406 coupe IMO) and dress it up as below

3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

of course the chalky yellow suits them to a 'T'

3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Even though I have got the gti6, I still aspire to the 406 coupe. Just a beautiful looking car I'm afraid. In 10 years time it'll still look tops. I have never driven one, but if you go to 306gti6.com you'll see just how many problems the 6 has, which may sway you towards the 406.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Even though I have got the gti6, I still aspire to the 406 coupe. Just a beautiful looking car I'm afraid. In 10 years time it'll still look tops. I have never driven one, but if you go to 306gti6.com you'll see just how many problems the 6 has, which may sway you towards the 406.

what problems does the 6 have ?

i have had mine since new and i would say it has anything that would stop me from buying one
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I have always been after a GTI6 as I have loved themform the word go. The coupe was always an admiriation from the perspective that there was no way I could ever afford one. I think I love the ideas of leather and lots of options that the 306 simply didn't have. Although it does have a lot more than my Mi16. I was in a similiar situation when I got my last Mi. I had to choose between a 205 Gti and my Mi. The Mi won easily due to comfort and the lux pack. Although not as quick definately a nicer car to be in.

I am inclined togo with the GTI6 so now I have to start looking. Insurance is never good for a 23 y'old male but looking around $1k-1300. Would also be able to do some nice mods to a cheaper car (body kit, wheels, exhaust etc)

thanks for the help so far.
    Dave
    Dave,
    The Gti6 has plenty of leather too. Leather seats front and back with alcantara inserts. Also, leather steering wheel and gearknob. I am biased but if you want a true drivers car, Gti6 is one of the best. As a bonus, it probably would do better fuel economy than the automatic 406 coupe, if that is an issue.
    1999 Peugeot 306 Gti6 - fast, comfortable, sublime handling.

Previous :-
    206 XT ,405 SRi, 505 GTi, 505 GR, Citroen GS

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

Had mine since new-Nov '98 & only just replaced its' first globe last week.

Still has the orig battery in key fob, everything still works as it should even after 2 years of fanging around Phillip Island!

As for the 406 Coupe, the early D8's were auto only, but was later released as a 5 sp manual which carried over into the D9.

I recently drove the VVT 152kw manual & thought it was a fantastic car.

Being 3 litre, the air-con didn't rob the engine of significant power.

My only gripe was the long pedal travel of the accelerator which seemed mis-matched to the clutch throw.

David, the perfect scenario for you might be to keep the Mi16 for the weekend thrash & cruise the streets Mon-Fri in the Coupe!

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Get a coupe that's real cheap because the auto is knackered... and put a manual box in it.

Get the GTi6, that's what I reckon in my completely biased opinion.

If you are planning to keep the Mi, then get the Coupe. A well sorted Mi would be as quick around the corners as anything else out there under 50K past or present. The Coupe however is just downright gorgeous and a decent drive. There's a low-mileage dark metallic green with tanned leather manual coupe at the adelaide dealership here. If only I had the money and the garage.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

if your keeping the Mi I agree with others and would get a coupe for daily driving.

then have the MI for roaring around on the weekends. The 406 Coupe are a great looking car, very pleasurable to drive and i think when your stuck in peak hour traffic you would really appreciate the decision you made in buying the coupe.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

i have had mine since new and i would say it has anything that would stop me from buying one
    I've just had niggly little things with mine; luckily most of it under warranty eg: Rusted out tail light assembly, interior trim coming off, disappearing coolant, all these have been fixed and haven't presented themselves as a problem. However, now my heater/air con fan is not working (only when it feels like it) and could be up to $900 to fix. Not that it affects the performance of the car, which is quite simply amazing, but still, it's the little things.....
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Icon10 So much help

Thanks everyone,

so much help and ideas. I love the idea of having the mi to thrash on weekends but I don't know if the g/f (who would be using it as her car) would aprove. Oh well!! Still leaning towards the GTI6 simply cos of affordability and potential to slightly mod it. There is no way I could afford to mod a coupe yet. I had plans to do the turbo (small boost) idea with the 406 but the ones being built in France are very modded (4WD, LSD, 19" wheels, traction control). Keep in mind they are getting around 400-500 BHP though.

I think this idea is just too out of reach presently. maybe in a couple of years I could think about it. It looks like I may have to sacrifice the lux and look of a coupe for the zippy and cute GTI6. At least its not like I am making a sacrifice like trading a pug for a suzuki or something similiar.

Now I just have to find a car I like with no probs. I heard the GTI6's snap cam belts more often than other pugs? Someone was sayin this happens at idle a lot too.?

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Icon10 So much help

Thanks everyone,

so much help and ideas. I love the idea of having the mi to thrash on weekends but I don't know if the g/f (who would be using it as her car) would aprove. Oh well!! Still leaning towards the GTI6 simply cos of affordability and potential to slightly mod it. There is no way I could afford to mod a coupe yet. I had plans to do the turbo (small boost) idea with the 406 but the ones being built in France are very modded (4WD, LSD, 19" wheels, traction control). Keep in mind they are getting around 400-500 BHP though.

I think this idea is just too out of reach presently. maybe in a couple of years I could think about it. It looks like I may have to sacrifice the lux and look of a coupe for the zippy and cute GTI6. At least its not like I am making a sacrifice like trading a pug for a suzuki or something similiar.

Now I just have to find a car I like with no probs. I heard the GTI6's snap cam belts more often than other pugs? Someone was sayin this happens at idle a lot too.?

Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

The idle thing could well be right...

I've heard of a lot of cars breaking belts at idle or very low revs. It must be because of the lack of inertia.

When Fiat started making the belt-drive twincam engines for the 125s and 124 derivatives, they had plastic pulleys... later they went to steel ones to increase the inertia and therefore smooth out the load on the belts.

Same would apply to idle speed compared to getting up in the rev range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    The idle thing could well be right...

I've heard of a lot of cars breaking belts at idle or very low revs. It must be because of the lack of inertia.

the belts have more pressure on them at idle and hence shorten the life of them

if a GTi-6 is run at 2000rpm or more every day of it's life the belts will not break under 80k unless there is something else wrong

the pressure to turn the cams over at idle is far greater than at revs in these cars and they aren't the only ones to suffer this

the newer falcons also have this problem
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information