dodgy dealer?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: dodgy dealer?

nJm

dodgy dealer?

Ok, today I was quite excited as I was going to test drive a supposedly very good condition 505 at Graham Birrel Motors (Surry Hills, VIC). When I got there I was told it had been taken to the pannel beaters to remove some minor dents as the previous owner (one elderly owner since new) had bumped it a few times when parking.

I left my phone number so I could come and see it when they get it back, but isn't it a bit odd that it had been advertised for over a week, and yet they had sent it off to a pannel beaters?

my main concern is now that they've done work to it, it will be harder to bargain down the rather high asking price of $3690 for a 505 GR.

will be interested to see what you think of this.

Advertisement

thanks
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I don't know this dealer personally , Nick (though they have been around for a fairly long time from memory - at least the last 20 years), but it's not uncommon for a dealer to send a vehicle off for repairs like this after its been advertised.

Often dealers wait until someone has expressed interests in a car, (particularly cheap ones) before getting any work done. (For example when customers come up with the "well, I'd like it but I'm not happy about the.....)

It may well be a sign that there was a potential buyer in the wings.

You are right about the price. It would certainly want to be pretty good for a GR, even in Melbourne.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

As an ex "tyre kicker" I would say that Rod is pretty close to the mark. Whilst I don't have any knowledge of the dealer, it would be uncommon for anyone too dodgy to exist for 20 years so I'd rest easy on that one.
    With the "it's off at the panel beaters" trick it is often, as Rod says, a case of every looker commenting on the number of dents or some particular part of the cars presentation which the dealer feels is an impediment to him selling it. Without trying to be an alarmist, it could also be that he may have found rust that he previously didn't know existed and a prospective buyer has discovered it or simply a case of allowing for say $3 - $400 worth of work but trying to sell it prior to spending the money in the hope of building up the "bottom line." :p
    If it were me, I would ask him straight up which panel shop so you could inspect it to see if it's a car you could be interested in. In most cases they will tell you where it is; if they don't then I think you have reason to think that there is more than just a couple of dents being knocked out. As regards the offer you intended to make; make it anyway if the car suits as there is every possibility he'll still have money to play with

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information