Non-interchangeable wheels
  • Register
  • Help

Non-interchangeable wheels

This is unbelievable, so I have to ask if anyone around here has any idea if it's true or not.

On the Peugeot-L forum it's reported that mag wheels on the 85 and later 505 wagons don't interchange rear to front. The front wheels will fit on the back, but not vice versa.

Advertisement

The wheels mentioned are 14", I think they said the 15" wheels did fit both ends.

Anyone ever heard of this?

I've seen what you're talking about, and honestly I have never heard of this.

I know there are 2 versions of that 14" alloy... a 5.5J and a 6J, but that's the only difference I know of. The offset is probably (more than likely, actually) the same. Maybe the wider wheel won't clear something on the wagon... who knows...

-Joe

I think this might be due to the extra negative camber built into the stub axle on those cars. This may cause some of the 14" wheels to touch the strut.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

But they presumably carry only one spare?

So are they to have odd wheels on the rear if they get a flat tyre?

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Could it have something to do with ABS brakes (sensors or .....?

con....

Fellow Frogger!
    Sounds like an old wives tale to me.. what's more it doesn't make sense.

I had an 89 505 GTI Series II wagon for a number of years. It was fitted with 14" mag wheels all round, including the spare. The wheels were all the same.

Denis

1000+ Posts
    Not familiar with the 505 wheels/hubs, but have they got hubcentric wheels with different sized central holes? That is, wheels that interference fit on a central boss on the hub. Seems crazy.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I suspect Dave is on the right track, with his mention of the struts. I once spent a harrowing day 're-shodding" my old SLi wagon (with steel wheels). Being adventurous /foolhardy I tried some Pirelli tyres instead of the standard 185/80 Michelin reinforced. They hit the struts, despite being same profile, same load capacity etc. The same applied with some Bridgestones as well. The tyre boys were very happy to see me go in the end!

I wonder, in this case, whether the people posting Peugeot-L actually had different tyres fitted on the rear rims. Sounds more likely than variable rim sizes. (Only Citroen do things like that!)

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information