Gearbox Good days/Bad days
  • Register
  • Help
    rek

Gearbox Good days/Bad days

Hey,

Just something I've noticed with my 306 over the time ... the gearbox seems to have its "good days", and "bad days" ...

i.e. sometimes it is beautifully slick and precise (even 2nd gear, while it's still getting to temperature!), and generally making you wish the drive to work was a 200km twisty mountain drive ..

Advertisement

and then on some other days, it feels like it doesn't really want to do anything, and often feels a little resistant to change, even when it's warmed up.

And one other thing .. if I stop the car and have to go for 5 mins (like filling for petrol, going to the ATM, etc.), after the little break, the gearbox feels 10 times better!

it's a 6-speed GTi6 box by the way. it's interesting to see that in the service book it says the fluid should be replaced every 40,000k's, but it's lifetime oil for all other 306 gearboxes.

Is it just something that happens with manual gearboxes, or might be due to needing the gearbox fluid flushed and replaced or something?

It also felt a bit like this in my old Honda Prelude, but it never felt quite as good as the Pug on a good day (nor quite as bad on a bad day..)
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Fellow Frogger!
    Rek,

The best 4 cyl gearbox i have experienced was a toyota corolla box (What a great car no joke)
    Peugeot make very good gearboxes but fell vague and not as precise as most of the jap boxes)
    The 306 6 speed is a peugeot motorsport close ratio gearbox (I would love one in the 205)

:p
    Murat

"Vague and not precise" are the last words I would use to describe the gearboxes in either of my Peugeots.

My 205GTI's gearbox, in particular, is still superb, even after more than 10 years Completely positive.

My GTI6's 'box can be a little variable, pretty much as you describe Rek, but it seems to be getting better with age. I just put it down to not being properly "run-in" yet (19000kms)..!!

Maybe when it's 10 years old as well......

Cheers
    Mark

I would have to agree 100%.

Wish the good days happened all the time.

And I have noticed that at higher revs it seems to go into 2nd on the changedown better than at low revs. Most gearboxes are the other way around. Typical French !

lol,

never ever drive an alfa then guys!!

Peugeot's have spectacular gearboxes compared to just about any alfa

Though all of the jap manufacturers have the gearbox thing down....boring rubbery notchy things they may sometimes be, but you will almost never miss a gear, have to wait for it to warm up, change gears too fast for the syncro, or hit dash with your fist while changing .....and they are always strong enough for the car/engine (stock) they are mated to.

the euros sometimes get it right, but not consistantly.....much like some of the changes
    ________
    Roxanne69
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Fellow Frogger!
    yeah my gearbox feels the same too! sometimes i even take it out of gear and put it back in because it feels like it dind't slot in properly the first time

Fellow Frogger!
    I agree totally. Sometimes I wonder if it's my clutch timing that's out of whack though..

One morning it was so stiff I nearly couldn't get it out of 1st gear. Once it warmed up for about 30 seconds it was fine.

I'm going to get the oil replaced with some of that redline stuff and see what happens.

[quote]Originally posted by DTwo:
    <strong>lol,

never ever drive an alfa then guys!!

Peugeot's have spectacular gearboxes compared to just about any alfa

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thems fighting words
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    ah yeah those wonderful alfas that have the engine up the front then they stick the g/box and diff at the rear of the car and then they think "oh shit we have to connect the g/box somehow to the driver" so they run these linkages from the rear up to where the driver sits
    just imagine all that nice feeling of trying to change gears on a box that is sitting back down the rear near the diff somewhere after 20 years or so of having been driven by every tom,dick and harry and they are all nice and worn out
    i don't know if they were any good when new but from what i have seen i think it is a very strange set up
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Ahh I love the quirky nature of Peugeot gearboxes. Great to see it wasn't just a 405 thing that it never liked second gear until it heats up.
    Peugeot...
    ...The True Lion

[quote]Originally posted by pugrambo:
    <strong>
    i don't know if they were any good when new but from what i have seen i think it is a very strange set up</strong><hr></blockquote>

The reason for doing this was to give the best weight distribution possible for the rear wheel drive cars. The GTV 2l and 2.5l were excellent cars in their day and even now, if you find one in good nick, will provide much enjoyment.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Tadpole
    we have found that a oil change does do wonders...
    but the best oil to use, which even brings very worn gear boxes back to life, is the esso factory oil... have had cars come in with wrong oil and poor changes, fitted right oil and no worries...
    same case with new cars that have been working hard... as they should
    regards paul

Thread Information