Doing up Pugs.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Doing up Pugs.

Doing up Pugs.

hey guys i have a few questions to ask about doing up pugs. after i finish my hsc and get a bit of cash up i'll be interested to purchase either a 405 mi16 or a 205 gti. now i was wondering which one is faster in acceleration and which one can have the engine done up easier to increase performance eg turbo, engine conversion etc. i would also be interested in aplying a body kit and making the car look unique. any comments or knowledge you have regarding doing up a 205 or 405 in general would be great.

Advertisement

btw i have checked out many of the sites such as ecosse but they don't have much in the way of 405s that have been done up.

cheers

chris

205's have about 50x more aftermarket parts than 405's.
    as standard the 205 is faster as it's lighter.
    there are about 5 kits for a 405, most dotn look any good, i dont mind the one ecosse sell.

what sort of budget, timeframe, expectations and plans have you got?
    check out the gallery on my site for some ideas.

Andreas

yeh i must say andreas your site is excellent. some fine examples of automobiles on your site especially yours. well i don't have a car yet rather i am taking into concideration the possibilites on doing up one of the two cars as they are the only cars i am interested in buying. i want to have something unique and something that can go. i haven't seen any mi16s that have been done up or many 205s in sydney that have either. i haven't taken into concideration the budget or timeframe and i don't know prices in the field of doing up peugeots either. also one question is it possible to get the rallye stripes on the front badge? the red white blue and yellow? seeing as you know a fair bit about mi16s could you tell me what the performance would be like with a turbo on an mi16 and the problems that one could encounter?

cheers

the stripes can be bought from peugeot sport in the UK.
    a turbo'd mi16, i hope mirat is reading this and speaks up.
    a 2.0 mi16 would be better as peugeot turbo'd that themselves.
    there are potential problems with the wet liners and also alloy block depending on how much power you go for.
    with forced induction you'll no doubt have over 200bhp to start with on an mi16.
    you're clutch wont like it and as i've discovered today torque steer can occur.

a 205 mi16 with a turbo would be good

Andreas

Fellow Frogger!
    I am convinced now that i want to stay with
    the all alloy engine.
    The power levels that r usable in a fwd chassis is not all that high.
    200 to 220hp you will not have a problem with the liners.
    There r many ways to get more turbo power without running into wet liner problems.
    Anyway i better mention to chris that the aussie S1 205 gti is a slug at 74kilowatts
    i was strugling with 2L bluebirds and late model camiras (very frustrating) now with the S2 engine i can have fun with vtir hondas and have not been beaten by one yet.
    Chris i would recomend a 205 but not a series 1 i would rather have the mi over the 205 slug.
    Andreas the iron block is a thin wall design anyway so with the power levels that 99% of people want there will be no problems with the turbo and wet liners.
    Remember the 1.9 pikes peak engine put out 600hp with the liners thats why i want to stay with the alloy engine big advantage in weight.

Murat

Cheers for the info murat. Now just what sort of bhp can i expect out of an mi16 that has been turbo'd. i know this is a pretty general question and probably has many variables but what sort of acceleration improvements are we talking about? and what bhp? and what other ways are available to get extra bhp and performance increases out of the mi16?

hey boys,
    its been sometime since i access this forums, damn computer!!! hauhauha....anyways, r we looking at another killer Mi16 sooon???!!!!!
    huaahuaha.....show me the MONEY!!!!!!

talk it easy folks

Fellow Frogger!
    Chris,

First you will need a healty engine
    So if you have that
    You could go normally aspirated like (Andreas)
    If someone else is going to do the work on your future car it will cost big either way turbo or normally aspirated.

Upto 200hp normally aspirated is the way to go (It will Still give you good driveability)
    For the above power out put you will need cams fitted some headwork decent exhaust system.
    Turbo kit will have to be custom made but if you want to go above the 200hp and still have a car with good driveability and good fuel economy you cant go past turbocharging.
    Basic kit will cost around x amount of dollars depending on the mood they r in and thats without opening up your engine.
    It will all depend how much you want to spend and what you want to achieve.
    Once Andreas gets his clutch i am sure he will let you know how hard it goes as in 405mi16 220hp+
    Like you said 2 many variables (Including insurance).

Murat

got my clutch a few days ago.
    it's good but needs more power, it probably only has 180-190bhp at the moment.

whether you stay naturally aspirated or go turbo it'll cost you a fair bit to do properly.

Andreas

ok thanx heaps for the information guys. i figured it was going to be an expensive task but still i will like to do it when i have the chance. thanx again for the info.

Tadpole
    Just thought I'd say hello as I'm new to this board.

Anyway, another variant is to use nitrous.

I'm not sure how widely used nitrous is in Australia, but here in the UK it's really starting to take off.

There are already a few pugs over here runnin it. Hopefully I will be too soon.
    [email protected]
    http://www.CruisinUK.com

mmmmm.... nitrous... few ?s about it,
    1) around how much are you looking at to fit it to say an mi16, and 2) isn't it kind of bad for the engine????

Generally speaking !!! Gains from nitrous are similar to a turbo depending on how wild you go, Nitrous is also not explosive in itself, its an oxidiser so as it is heated and compressed (as in engine) it gives out oxygen (oxygen = good) and the combustion process is stronger and hotter.

It also isnt too risky as the nitrous isnt a sudden burst of power, rather its a sustained burn. This sustained burn limits the piston "impact" so keeping everything nice and gentle.

Downside is you have to keep filling tank up and it isnt really street legal in Aust. (I think you can have it in your car it just isnt allowed to be plumbed in????)
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

well my brother used to worked with someone that had an old XY foulcan (actualy it wasn't a bad sort of a car). It had a really hot 351 in it, and used to lift 1 front wheel off the ground when floored at lower speeds (ie: It had balls!!!).

Anyway he fitted it with Nitro, went out the local highway. They'd rigged the nitro so you had to hold the button to keep it burning. He tramped the car & hit the nitro. The thing arked up spearing him sideways up the road @ over 120km/h. He rapidly decided that nitro was a real bad idea & removed it when he got home. Total burn time when fitted?? Probably 3seconds (enough to frighten shit out of him ).

Well I thought it was funny anyway, no really, I did....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information