Is there something called Peugotphobia
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Is there something called Peugotphobia

I have had my 504 diesel 2 weeks and my wife still hasn't been for a drive.
    Is there something called peugotphobia?
    Please help
    ant

Advertisement

My first experience with a 504 started with the plesant grinding of the starter motor as i tried to turn off the engine with the key of course turning in the wrong?? (diffrent) direction.

As for Peugeotphobia there are plenty of Commodores, Civics, Lancers and WRX's that cry at the thought of taking on the next Peugeot that it comes across.
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

[quote]Originally posted by PUG309:
    <strong>My first experience with a 504 started with the plesant grinding of the starter motor as i tried to turn off the engine with the key of course turning in the wrong?? (diffrent) direction.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

Must have been something wrong with the ignition switch, since 504 igntion switches usually have a lockout mechanism which prevents you from activating the starter motor unless you turn it all the way off, and back on again.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

1000+ Posts
    Maybe it's dieselphobia?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i think it's a female thing
    no offense to any girls out there but i remember when my father bought home a 203 for mother many years ago and she loved the car but she wouldn't drive it
    she finally got around to driving it in daytime only and after a period of time you couldn't keep her out of the car
    my girlfriend was the same with the 604
    she loved the car from day one but wouldn't drive it and so on and so forth
    so there you go guys
    2 women that i know of with the same symptoms
    don't worry once they get used to driving the car you will never keep them out of it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    i have a mate,his wife will not drive his 504 wagon,suits him fine he says.when wants to go to the pub or a quite drive he knows he just got to jump in the wagon.no diff whine from the passenger seat.sorry girls.

Actually, I think peugeotphobia works both ways...

I gave my bf a drive in my 306 - he drives a Ford Fairmont . Couldn't see why I raved so much about the handling - then was in the car with me one day when I took a corner just a 'touch' late. Couldn't believe the way the car just sailed around it - but then he's always been jealous of my affection for the car!

penelope_s

penelope_s is right. It does work both ways. There are plenty of males who don't appreciate pugs until they have actually driven one in adverse conditions.

A friend of mine thought all 1970s cars handled bad, steered bad and had bad brakes, until he drove my 504 on a winding road.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    My g/f is pretty much the same. I got my 205 GTi and couldn't stop looking at it or talking about it. SHe basically said "Why did you buy that slow, old french piece of cr*p?" At which point the relationship nearly ended. She's into her japanese "warm" hatches (i refuse to call then hot). She drove it once and basically said yuck, gears to sloppy/hard, clutch too hard, brakes too soft, too rattly, too nosy blah blah blah.
    Then I was at a grasskarna and decided to give it one more try and get her driving my baby.
    She absolutely LOVED it. Sure she spent more time going backwards than forwards but I had to wrestle her out of the car for my run.
    LOL

Fellow Frogger!
    My fiance loves it when I drive her about or take her for a burn in the 306, and wants to learn how to drive... uh oh!

I've convinced her that she wants a 504. She wants a manual one too!

Cool!

Time for a place with 2 garages I think, or maybe 5

There are plenty of women who are Peugeot lovers out there! Way back when I was single lad I taught quite a few girl-friends to drive in 403's and , several went out and bought their own. One of them still owns and drives her 403 - twenty years on! Another went one step further and bought a beautiful DS.

I've just been helping another very discriminating woman buy her second 504 (she had the first one for 15 years) and my wife is currently lusting after a 306 or 307, to replace her much loved SEAT Cordoba.

Maybe it depends on the part of the country you live in. Anywhere north east of Eltham in Melbourne, Peugeots abound. I reckon 50% would be driven by women.

Cheers

Rod

[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</p>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

NTRX I agree

My girlfriend loves my 505 as a passenger and is now looking to get a 504, she thinks they are the most gorgeous cute car she has ever seen. She wants a 504 from Argentina 1999 model hehe. Pity its LHD, maybe from Kenya?? Hehe.

She thought it was french [email protected] (execpt the seats loves the seats!!) until we had to swerve around a wheel sitting in the middle of the Pacific Hwy. (fell out of a 505 wagon about 50 metres down the road). From then on she never looked back.

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Fellow Frogger!
    Hehe, Rod you've reminded me about a friend who is from a family of Holdens and Fords, and he himself drives a Valiant Charger. But his mother drove about in a 306 for quite some time, swore by it, until it was stolen and then she bought a Citroen Xsara.

She *drives* them too! Gets a little frightened when my mate drives it though

Well my g/f owns our GTi6 and she ABSOLUTELY LOVES IT. We have thought about buying a newer car (its 99) but she CANNOT find a car that she likes more, and is a BETTER car, than her beloved Pug. And she loves the handling and power. Races all sorts of people.

People just don't know what they are missing by not owning a 306.

Tadpole
    Maybe it's the fact that it's a Diesel ?

When I had my 505 SRDT my Girlfriend of the time, my mum and some other woman that rode it the car hated it, they didnt like the noise, performance or the rattles and shakes it had

Most guys didnt mind the car but the woman hated it ! that was the same story I got from the bloke I got it from his wife LOVES Pug's *she has a series 2 505 wagon* but she always hated the Diesel!

Just a thought

Ben

Well my story is that I had an 85 Alfa Sprint, nice in its day but long in the legs when I sold it, not to mentions the rust. So when it comes time to go the hard yards and get a nice car my G/F and I start looking at some good condition 205's GTI's. LOL..."you cant't buy THAT, its an old piece of sh1t, no better than what you have now."

So we went for a drive. She liked the ride and power, but no way was I allowed to 'waste' $11000 on a 1989 car. It was then that we saw the S16 just brought into the show room as trade.

Went back a week later, without her, with my mechanic mate, and took the S16 for a spin. Loved it from the word go and now all the g/f wants to do is drive my car instead of her 1985 'Tonka-Tuff Yellow' Diahatsu Charade.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Tadpole
    Don't worry she went for a drive last night.
    I won't say she loves it, but she is getting more acustioned to it.

rek
    hehehe. I remember when I first told my friends I just bought a Peugeot...

"What the hell did you do that for?!"

"I guess your new Peugeot mechanic will say he's very busy, and tell you to come back, and bring him some wine"

"So what year of Dom-Perignon do you need to put in the car's wine reservoir? *chuckle*"

That was, until they started riding in it. Now, at least one of them is 99% certain of buying a 206 real soon .. and when it's time to pool into one car, more often than not it's mine that gets taken

(they still joke about the whole rain sensing wipers thing though. )

And now having had the 306 for a little while now, I can't really think of any car around I'd rather have, that isn't at least twice the price.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

My wife ... if that's the title she should have ... was keen enough to get into a 504 when she wrote off her Sigma, but reckoned she never felt comfortable in it. A really nice original 1973 automatic, a good car.

So we got a 604... and to the chorus of her ADHD sons screaming "Not a Peugeot!" we embarked on a problem-ridden ownership that had her screaming at me all the time.

Biggest issue was a distributor cap that defied us for a year or so... would stop the car at any time! The usual electrical problems, the starter solenoid, vaccuum problems and carburettors, huge petrol bills...

We got her another Sigma.

Later she decided she wanted a nice Familiale, but for some reason it had heavy steering... again, she became disenchanted. She gave it to me... now it's the TI/5-speed that I drive all the time.

Expecting the divorce papers any time...

My Japanese-cars-are-the-best-and-most-reliable-cars-in-the-world-so-you'd-better-get-a-Corolla mum. After I got the 405, I've frequently found my keys missing and the Pug gone and I'm left with a V6 Camry that handles like a hovercraft in comparison (but goes like stink if you can live with the torque steer).
    "It was just sitting on the street I didn't want to take the Toyota out of the garage" she says. Uh huh...
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

1000+ Posts
    Jez,

CAR magazine just looked into the latest Camry and mentioned it was the top selling sedan in the USA, sold something like 450,000 last year. The very same car sold 6,000 across all of Europe, about the same size market. Their conclusion was that there was nothing they could say about the car - nothing good, nothing bad. I reckon that about sums it up, eh?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey,
    Having had my road education in Toyotas, and having driven more of them than any other make, there's nothing I can say thats particulary great about them (including 'performance' models like the Sillycar) apart from their 99.99% reliability. I guess they are alright for everyday transport - easy to drive, reliable - and if you regard cars household appliances then they're probably spot on which is why it's possible to find half a million lemmings willing to spend $30'000+ on one.
    My life is dull enough as it is. I need a Pug.
    Crap, I think I just heard my 405 start up....
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada

1000+ Posts
    Jez,

You only need to worry when your Mum asks for driving gloves for Xmas...

Slightly OT, but, true story, I saw a late Camry yesterday with genuine Porsche alloy wheels - the typical 5 spokers heaps of later Porkers have. Still with the Porsche crest in the middle.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Whoa! And I thought replaceing a "1.5" with a "4.9" badge from a Falcon on my old Laser was bad!
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada

Thread Information