Peugeot and Michelin????
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Peugeot and Michelin????

There was a time not so long ago when no self respecting peugeot driver would even consider putting any other tyre than a Michelin on his/her car.

But times have clearly changed.

Advertisement

When I dropped in at the new local peugeot dealer yesterday to have a look at a 407 in the flesh I noticed that all the cars in the showroom had Pirelli tyres - all the 407s has P7s, the 206GTi180 had Pirelli P7000s and the 607 had P6000s.

Out on the forecourt were three new 307s. One had French made Dunlops, one had French Goodyears and one had Spanish Bridgestones...

I checked out the pirellis on a couple of 406s on the PCCV Grand Ridge Road run today and they were all Made in Italy...

So how are all these non-michelins performing and what has happened to Michelin?
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Quote Originally Posted by trevh
    So how are all these non-michelins performing and what has happened to Michelin?
    The 307 was the first series for which Michelin wasn't OEM (other models still had Michelin on some variants) - I suspect there was a pricing dispite between Peugeot and Michelin.

In any case, I don't miss Michelin that much in general. I think you can certainly do better for the money. Not saying they are bad (although they have released some rubbish such as the Certis - they belong on a Tonka truck), just the gap between them and others really has shrunk.

The Goodyear GT3s on the low spec 206s aren't very good - they feel as if they are made of foam - yes the car slides very nicely from corner to corner, but a little more grip would be appreciated.

I like the P7s (307 & 407). Not the quietest tyre on the planet on coarse chip (not that bad though), but miles ahead of the P6000s. A good grippy, tyre - nice blend between performance and touring characteristics. ContiPremiumContacts on the 307 are fine (good for fuel economy, not too noisy), although I find them somewhat wanting in the wet at times.

GTi180 owners seem fairly happy with the Pirelli P7000s.

Personally I love the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on my 307, but they're not yet OEM on any Pugs. Would be welcome on the 206 GTi I'd say.

Of course, you can have 'French' tyres on a French car (non 206 ) for the sake of having something French

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307

Of course, you can have 'French' tyres on a French car (non 206 ) for the sake of having something French

thank you Daniel
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

BTW, the reference to the 206 was for the many 206s that are built in Ryton, UK

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    thank you Daniel
    Haha, someone's on the ball tonight!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Default tyres on a Pug

I've had a lot of Pugs, most without Michelins, but I think I would have tó say that they were about the best.
    There that's my

What about Kleber?

They used to use a lot of Peugeots in their endurance tyre testing (they said that for consistent results you could do no better than Peugeot...), or did they get absorbed into Michelin or Continental or something?

Peugeot haven't used Michelin for quite some time. The end of the 306 cycle did not use Michelins. The GTi6 never ran Michelins, running P6000s from the outset, as I recall. The S16 had Michelins though.

Kleber is owned by Michelin.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

But they are still using michelin steel wheels on the cars though
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    But they are still using michelin steel wheels on the cars though
    True.

206s and 406s were running Michelin Energy tyres - some still do.

It is correct to say that the 307 is the first Peugeot series that did not have Michelin as OEM from the factory

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

True.

It is correct to say that the 307 is the first Peugeot series that did not have Michelin as OEM from the factory
    Yeah, fair call. I forgot about the low end 206s.

VIP Sponsor

True.

The Series 1 205 GTIs had Pirelli P6s.
    Graham

when i went to buy tyres earlier this year ended up with pirrelli p 6000 supergy.[slightly different to p6000's.]
    i always used michelin in the 3 504's ive owned but was told to stear clear of them for my 205 gti.the main reason being that i run 14'' tyres on my car and all michelin 14'' tyres are now made in taiwan or vietnam or some such asian country.they are too soft in compound and tend to wear very quick .the guy told me that he only got about 40-50,000k out of his last set.
    i went for the p6000's cause they were 125 bucks compared to the michelin at $180-195 each.
    my choice was econmically based.next time if i got the dough handy ill go for something better.
    i have no problems with the p6000's,i got them as well cause of the fact they are supposed to
    grip in the wet better than the comperative priced tyres.i must say though they are pretty soft and tend to pick up stones in the grooves a bit.
    but overall i like em,but i must admit i have only driven the car with these on them[except when i got it ,it had worn goodyear eagles and michelins] and other 205's ive driven have had harder susspension and springs so i had a hard time checking the diff in tyres.
    check out the threads on tyres-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The Series 1 205 GTIs had Pirelli P6s.
    Graham
    Ahh, that's not a whole model series though

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I like the P7s (307 & 407). Not the quietest tyre on the planet on coarse chip (not that bad though), but miles ahead of the P6000s. A good grippy, tyre - nice blend between performance and touring characteristics. ContiPremiumContacts on the 307 are fine (good for fuel economy, not too noisy), although I find them somewhat wanting in the wet at times.
    I remembered when I had a few different 307s for the days when my GTI was serviced, P7s are pretty good except a bit noisy, but the Contis are SHOCKING !! They smell like burnt rubber the minute I parked the car after 20km of suburban driving

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    I remembered when I had a few different 307s for the days when my GTI was serviced, P7s are pretty good except a bit noisy, but the Contis are SHOCKING !! They smell like burnt rubber the minute I parked the car after 20km of suburban driving
    Now now now, is this the fault of the driver or the tyres

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Now now now, is this the fault of the driver or the tyres
    mmm....I think it's peugeot's fault for putting such crap tyres on such a good car
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

GTi180 owners seem fairly happy with the Pirelli P7000s.

I put a set of 17x7 P7000s on my old 206 GTI. I was very disappointed as they wore quite quickly. I later changed to Yokohamas, and they were fabulous. They handled better in the wet or dry and in the 40000km I drove them for, they barely wore.

Soon as I get some spare cash I'm ditching my P7000s on my 180. I'm going to give the P Zeros a go, if they don't live up to their hype I'll go back to the Yoko's.

Cub

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI

Jason
    Hehehe...that reminds me of the time I helped my brother test a 307 running the standard Contis
    After I had finished tearing it up around the Arncliffe/Kogarah area we had to pull to the side and let the brake/tire smell subside ...it was fun but quite unsettling that the Contis has such a low tolerance.
    CUB

Does anyone have suggestions what "V' rated tyres are good for modern Peugeots ? My 306 Gti6 needs tyres soon. Currently has Pirelli P6000s. They were OK, nothing special, and poor in the wet when the tread got low.
    Any Gti6 or S16 or Xsi owners out there? What are you recommending?
    1999 Peugeot 306 Gti6 - fast, comfortable, sublime handling.

Previous :-
    206 XT ,405 SRi, 505 GTi, 505 GR, Citroen GS

Quote Originally Posted by diablo6
    Does anyone have suggestions what "V' rated tyres are good for modern Peugeots ? My 306 Gti6 needs tyres soon. Currently has Pirelli P6000s. They were OK, nothing special, and poor in the wet when the tread got low.
    Do a search for the 195/xx/xx tyre thread posted by gti124, its very useful

Quote Originally Posted by diablo6
    tyres are much cheaper nowadays i think you should have no problem getting W or Z rated for similar price and not just stuck with V rated ones, .
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

I just change my original Michelin to BF Goodrich G-Force. These BF is a lot better grip & quiet then the Michelin one.
    Jacky
    1995 Peugeot 306 XT 1.8 MT

Performance:
    JAMEX Lower Springs, Griffiths Eng. Quick Shift, K&N Element Replacement Filter, 2 1/4" Catback Custom Make Exhaust with 2 X 3" DTM Style Twin Pipes Outlet, BF g-force 185/65/14

Sound System:
    Sony CDX-F5700, Hertz 4" Split, JBL 6" 2 Way, Alpine MPR-M200, SoundStream EGW-10 10" Sub

Outlook:
    BOSCH Silver Evolution bulbs, Aero Wipers, Momo SliverJet, RAZO Gear Knob, RAZO Carbon Paddle, Sparco Pro 2000

True.

What about the 406? I thought they came with the (much maligned) P6000 as well.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Any1 has any suggestions on the SO3???
    Cos the pirelli i am using now is so expensive

I'd get the Goodyear EAgle F1 GS-D3 myself.

Check this review out off my website, http://www.mymane.net/photos/EVOJuly02

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information