One to stir the blood
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

One to stir the blood

And you thought the 205GTI was quick look at this little street legal rocket 260bhp

Advertisement

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Yes - the Monte Carlo Rally inspired 4WD Peugeot 205 Turbo-16..... 0-60mph in 5.8 seconds in standard 200bhp guise.
    One of only 200 built, I believe?
    And what are those extra lights under the engine lid?
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

there's a reason for the lights but i cant remember it.
    something about it conforming to the regulations...i'll remember it soon.
    i think there was somethign shifty behind it.

Andreas

rek
    Apparently the two sets of rear lights (the normal ones on the outside, and the $4.95 k-mart specials on the inside) is due to a Jean Todt obsession for detail.

In some rally stage, the car clipped something and the back end was damaged, destroying the lights. When it went in for scrutineering it was excluded, as there were no rear lights (which was a regulation at the time). From then on, Todt made sure there were a second pair of rear lights, "just in case".

I read this from the internet somewhere (not exactly sure where now!), so there might be a "chinese whispers" effect with the story..
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Fellow Frogger!
    The road going t16 specs r
    0-60 mph 7.8 sec (205t16)
    0-60 mph 7.8 sec (205gti)
    Standing quarter mile
    205 t16 15.6 sec
    205 gti 16.6 sec
    205t16 weight about 1300kg
    205gti " " 900kg
    Dont even worry about the prices as you could buy 10 205gti's

Murat

Murat,
    Those specs are amazing, I guess the beast must have some serious handling advantages over the GTI. just goes to show looks can be deceiving. I have always prefered a sleeper something that you wouldn't give a second look, but capable of offering some serious competition.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

The T16 looks pretty mad. Got a copy of Evo from July 2000 with a review of the street versions of the T16 and the Lancia Delta S4. They say how they were meant to make 200 road versions for Group B regulations, but there is a story that at Lancia when the inspector came around they showed him 100 shells, took him to lunch, then later showed him the same 100 shells being wheeled into a different room. T16 was over 400kg heavier than standard 1.9 GTi, with only 70 BHp to make up this difference. Proper rally versions of these beasts could do 0-125 mph in around 7 seconds. Crazy! Does anyone know antything about the 405 T16? Did it have two doors?

there were 2 types of 405 T16
    the 2 door coupe and the 4 door sedan.
    2 door coupe was the one that was used for the pikes Peak hill climb and also the paris-Dakar rally, pretty much the same spec as the 205T16, identical actually, just as a coupe shaped 405.

he road car looks exactly like a series 2 405 Mi16, just has 16" wheels.
    it's a 2.0 16v (similar to mi16) with a T25 turbo, 196bhp standard, 220bhp with boost (ecu feature, on boost for 45seconds when conditons are right)
    seen one transplanted into a 306 sedan, got 360bhp

Andreas

p.s did you knwo Peugeot France still has atleast 50 road going 205t16's hidden away but due to emissions laws they can never be sold

I saw a model of the Peugeot 406T16 GR at my local hobby shop the other day. '89 and '90 Paris-Dakar rally winners, both were 4wd, mid/rear engined 405 coupes. Do you know if there were ever any roadgoing 405T16 Coupes? They look pretty sweet.

Personal dilema...is that box of 1/24 scale plasic really worth $39.90?
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

'fraid I'd have to answer 'no!' to each of the last three questions....

Fellow Frogger!
    chris,

Yes of course the 205t16 has a big advantage over the 205 gti.(Being mid mounted)
    But for about $100.000 aust dollars
    I assure you that a well set up fwd 205 in tarmac form would embarrass a 205 t16.
    Remember the citroens running fwd peugeot engines in the xaras did to the 4x4 big buck machines in the wrc championship.
    The drivers and commitee were embarrased by the situation and they put a stop to them.
    The road going t16 is about 300kg than the racing version.
    A 944turbo porsche will have the same handling at a third of the price and will leave the 205t16 for dead in a race.
    yes they r a great car but r to expensive.
    In fact the only reason i bought a peugeot is because i wanted to have a 205 look like a t16 and i will as u will soon see.

Murat

Fellow Frogger!
    Chris,

I forgot to mention that if u think that the performance of a standard road going t16 is amazing.
    I have a freind with a fwd nissan pulsar turbo he picked up for $2500 dollars that matches the performance of the high dollar peugeot with only a boost increase it is running 11 psi everything else standard factory.

Take it easy
    Murat

Murat,
    I am being educated here, thanks for your input, came across the pics and thought there's one mean beasty but like I said looks can be decieving I would have thought it would have blown the GTI away, sure puts the GTI in a great light for those sort of $$$$s. (Also no where to put the drum kit )
    We are a bit isolated from the full range of model variants available so it's interesting when you come across something you feel you should no more about, thanks again.

Cheers
    Chris

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: GreenBlood ]
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!
    Chris,

Yes i have to agree it would be wild car to own and would be a nice base to modify.
    If it were around $50.000 Aus dollars hey we might even own one one day.
    But back to reality we can always have a mock up as the boys would say.
    Or maybe build one from a chromemolly tubeframe that would be a race car replica
    I will keep dreaming

Murat

The 205 t16 has two versions the street and the rally version. however over the past few years i have continually looked for information about the 205 t16 street version. there have been different statistics from different sites, some say the performance of the t16 street is 7 secs for 0-100 and some say it is 5 the rally version does 3.9 btw. i dont know which figures are correct..perhaps the 5 seconds or perhaps the 7?? it seems like a serious waste for peugeot if its performance is only marginally better than the gti.. but then again i dont know..

Fellow Frogger!
    Chris,

This is nice subject bought up by the other chris.
    To be honest Autocar had tested the road version.
    205T16 Homogalation model with only 200hp and weighing in at almost 1300kg has figures nearly the same as a standard 205gti.
    But you have to remember it would be very easy to up the power on these cars.
    205 t16 homogalation 200hp
    205 t16 evo 1 320-350hp
    205 t16 evo 2 450+
    I think they were reaching power levels at over 500hp+ before the swift ban on the groupB supercars.
    Also worth noting that the pikes peak car 405turbo16 was around 600hp and it would clearly have a 0-100kph in the 2-2.5sec range
    As the evo2 wrc 205t16 was timed at 3.3 sec for the above journey.
    These race versions were under the ton mark so were super quick.
    with beutifull neutral handling and plenty of grip.
    Also they were made lighter and stiffer by using more and more radical chromemolly tubeframe designs.
    You have to think a 500hp+ car that is a spaceframe chromemolly tubeframe design with a weight figure of around 900kg and a mid mounted engine (no wonder it dominated)
    And then there is the grand raid 205t16 with the extended wheelbase for stability and the lower boost and power levels for durability over the long and hot journeys in the desert.
    Very interesting cars.

Murat

murat thanx for the info on the other peugeot beasts. maybe people on there sites have listed the performance figures for the evo t16's because as u said the 1300 kg body and only a minor increase in power realistically wouldnt increase the performance. amazing that 405 t16 @ 600bhp!! wouldn't mind sitting at the lights against a ferrari in one of those!!

Hi all,
    Murat those figures are more in line with my expectations, how cool would 0-100 in 3 seconds be, that is seriously quick I guess most of us new how successful these cars were in motor sport so it's disappointing to read that the road legal car is not that much quicker than the GTI.

Member Eddie (one of our New Zealand friends) has a web site thats worth a look, he has kindly given permision for me to post this pic, thanks Eddie.

How about a few captions to go with this pic.

1) John...JOHN i've asked you a dozen times to stop,I have to get milk, and are you driving a little fast?

Darling I know this road like the back of my hand, and I'm driving on the limit.. err I mean speed limit.

2) Ladies and gentlemen welcome aboard we will be cruising at 200kph at an altitude of 3 metres, drinks will be served after take-off.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts
    Hi Guys,

Sounds like you are all candidates to buy the video "Climb Dance"; Peugeot 405 T16 and Ari Vatanen climbing Pikes Peak. At $39 for five minutes, it's worth every dollar. Amazing video. Buy it.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

My caption entry:

"...bloody speedbumps..."

I went to the local Warehouse a while back (a discount type store) and found a couple of group b videos for $10NZD, one has a section in car with Walter Rorhl in his Quattro on a tarmac stage, the speed is one thing, but the spectators are what really amaze, there are times when you can't see the road for the people. If I ever have enough spare time/inclination I will try to capture some of it to computer.

Stuey: where can I buy this video, I can't find it on amazon/blackstar/etc

-Eddie

1000+ Posts
    Eddie,

Try the Pitstop Bookshop here in Perth - they ship worldwide. That's where I got mine.
    http://www.pitstop.net.au/

Believe me, you won't be disappointed. Amazing in car footage and sound effects, and shots from the helicopter as the tail end almost goes off the edge of the mountain. Don't be put off by the length of the tape - you get an hour's worth because you can't just watch it once It won a few awards, too.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Originally posted by Stuey:
    <STRONG>Hi Guys,

Sounds like you are all candidates to buy the video "Climb Dance"; Peugeot 405 T16 and Ari Vatanen climbing Pikes Peak. At $39 for five minutes, it's worth every dollar. Amazing video. Buy it.

Stuey </STRONG>

or you could just download it, 70megs worth

Andreas

1000+ Posts
    Hmmmm...might ask for my 39 bucks back

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Andreas,

Where can I get the download, pretty sure It has been aired on SBS, I have seen a few screen shots and it does look awesome.

Had a look at your site, any idea as to why the 206 burst into flames?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Climbdance
    lenght: 5 min, 14 sec. 67 MB
    http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/%7Esi...atanen%29.mpeg

no idea about the 206, it's being looked into.

Andreas

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information