Pug 206 Steering and Suspension issues.
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Pug 206 Steering and Suspension issues.

How is everyone elses 206 steering going? (those that have had one for longer than say 4000km).

My GF is finding more feedback from the road to the wheel than she would like. Also I have noticed an offset of the steering wheel by about 15 degrees to the left. The front suspension also feels spongy, it use to be very firm, and it still is, but seems to bounce more. Also the car will track to the left or right for no apparent reason, and on occasion when going over bumbs the wheel will be pulled from the hand left or right depending on which wheel hits the bump pr hollow.

Advertisement

Any ideas what the prob might be?

Heya Smoky!

We're talking 180 steering are we?

I've noticed that the shocks have settled just a little and the car has always tracked left or right on occasion with no reason. I think the latter may be caused by the 180's toe out set to 10 deg (from memory), up from 5 on a GTi This is great for cornering but not so good for maintaining a straight line. I notice the pulling/tranlining more when breaking than anything else. Also the car will torque steer as well.

I have noticed the same thing with my 180 as well, currently with 13,600k but the wheel is only slightly of center and that is when driving in a straight line. pull to the left is a bit more noticable tho but i thought that was just due to having the right strut replaced 1k ago.

have noticed a slight high pitch whistle develop from the engine tho, and is rmp dependant, little bit like the noise a truck turbo makes when accelerating but not as noticable.

Ive done over 90,000 on an XT and when wheels were alligned at 80,000 they didnt have to do anything , and that is with driving on Parramatta road alot(the reason wheel alignments were invented). Not sure about the toe settings on my car but it tram lines on alot of roads aswell.

Only problems so far have been caused by dodgy fuel (O2 Sensor).
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    How is everyone elses 206 steering going? (those that have had one for longer than say 4000km).

My GF is finding more feedback from the road to the wheel than she would like. Also I have noticed an offset of the steering wheel by about 15 degrees to the left.
    More feedback than she would like? Peugeots are renowned for their ability to do this - it's strange to hear complaints about it.

The 180 steering is a degree less talkative than the regular GTi in my opinion, however I wouldn't mind guessing it's something as simple as tyre wear (yes, even after only 4k). Try swapping the wheels front to back. It's a simple enough operation as a jack at the front point lifts both front and rear wheels on one side. See if that makes a difference?

The front suspension also feels spongy, it use to be very firm, and it still is, but seems to bounce more. Also the car will track to the left or right for no apparent reason, and on occasion when going over bumbs the wheel will be pulled from the hand left or right depending on which wheel hits the bump pr hollow.

Any ideas what the prob might be?
    Dodgy roads, my friend. Your car is telling you all about them
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

only complaining because the wheel is ripped out the hands, and when cornering out cliffs, and traffic, well it becomes dangerous. Yes two hands on the wheel witha firm grip.

I think the steering wheel being offset is more annoying in the 180 because of the thumb grips. It means your always facing your hands to the left.

PS my wheels and rims were aligned at 6000km (2000km ago). this did not correct the issue. i will try a tire rotation though, good tip slc206.

I had a clucking grinding noise in my steering column but haven't worried about it....not bad..I have also just replaced all tyres at 107,000 Km's....yes thats right 107,000Km's....just a few small things. I have alwayed checked the tyre pressures, rotated them and always spend 90% of the time on the highway... I thought about writing to Michelin complaining about only getting 107,000km's...just kidding

Thread Information