When does an Mi16 gearbox/engine start to be seriously bad?
  • Register
  • Help

When does an Mi16 gearbox/engine start to be seriously bad?

Need some help, looking at getting an 89 mi16, but it's done 280,000km... grrrrrr... other than that it's all good, can someone tell me when the tranny carks it? and the engine too thanks! any other things to look for on it that might be buggered would be handy.

Advertisement

ps. ASAP, i am going to look at it on saturday!

depends if it's had any overhauls?
    i've heard of mi16's reaching 320,000km in the US without needing major repairs, depends how it was looked after.
    how much is it?

Andreas

talk about bloody quick mate, that was like 10 minutes... it's had the head rebuilt and the bottom end of the engine is supposed to be in very good condition. it's is supposed to have a good service history (not full). no work has been done to the gearbox, any idea how far the transmissions tend to go?

What effect does having a recon head on an old block have? Was there any specific reason for the head recon? My BE-1 gearbox is still going strong after 230k.

Fellow Frogger!
    Nchandler,

You have to becarefull with the words rebuilt, reconditioned, remanufactured,as they can mean anything.
    The head was rebuilt what is new,what was changed what was found serviceable.
    Bottom end is in good condition (with 280000k's you have to be carefull i would get a complete compression check or even a leakdown test (more acurate)
    whining will most likely mean worn gearbox
    Rough shifting will mean worn syncros
    To be honest take it to someone in the know about pugs
    I assume it is cheap (280000k's is at the very high end for a 4 cylnder engine)

Murat

with 280,000km i'd be expecting some major problemns soon, it may not be the case but be prepared for it.
    then again it could be in better condition than the low mileage one that might cost twice as much.
    as Murat suggested, try taking somneone who knows pugs along.
    i've done a gearbox and a motor, that was with less than 200K on it.
    more to do with the person driving it than anything else because they would've lasted for a while longer

Andreas

I try to not get too dazzled by the mileage as compared to the condition of the engine & box only.
    A lot depends both on service it had and the type of driving it did. As Murat says, fairly critical checks would be a must, but remember the suspension, brakes etc have also done the same mileage and some of the other potential problems of a minor nature can ad up to a lot over a short period.
    In the UK and Europe, those sort of mileages aren't all that uncommon with the highest I can recall of a BX still going after 535,000 MILES. Apparently, still well.
    By the same token I've just finished reading an ad for a HRT Commodore with log books with 75,000 klms which says "reconditioned motor."
    My suggestion would be to contact David Cavanagh who is often on this board as he works on French cars for a living and in fact owns a Pug Mi16 himself. He would probably have more experience with them at varying mileages and condition than the rest of us combined.
    If it checks out OK, then if the price is right I wouldn't walk away from it just on its mileage.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi,

I don't think milage means a whole lot either. I'd prefer a car that's cruised the highways for 200,000 than one that's had the shit thrashed out of it in Melbourne traffic for 120,000km.

Just check the overall condition of the car, the motors not likely to suddenly die from old age, but will more than likely start to use a bit of oil & blow smoke. But hey, it'll probably do that for another 100,000kms anyway.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Might be wise to think a lil about how you intend to drive it....

At those Kms it won't be long before you need to spend to keep it going if you plan to drive it hard....hope it's cheap (to buy)....

Alternatively, if you were to drive one around like a granny (well not my granny, if you don't want dents ) they'll last forever....puffing out smoke and burning 1lt of oil a week ......won't stop tho

Some time ago I was out looking at Mi16s, the engines do seem very robust, seen quite a few 175k+ examples that still have plenty of life in them.

The Mi16 engines age much better than the bodies IMHO.

Not bad considering Mi16s should have had relatively hard lives being "sports cars" and all.
    ________
    Minibaby4U Cam
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 01:59 AM.

thanks for the help people, the car is $6900AU and i believe i would be able to get it for $6k, but i think i would be better off spending a few grand more and getting a sub 200,000km one, but i'll still go and take it for a spin hey?

once again thanks for the help,

nick

i went and drove it today, it's a no go. the leather is split all around the seats, the plastics creak like anything, the gearbox syncro is rooted, it doesnt idle well and the paint/body/seals are all pretty unhealthy or bent.

i'll keep looking for the perfect one for me, if anyone wants to sell their 89 mi16 in good condition let me know

cheers,
    nick

leather split...normal
    plastics creak...normal
    synchros...normal
    bad idle...normal
    dodgy paint...normal

well not quite, that's pretty much what happens to a mi16 that's getting on.
    my paint was very bad on the bonnet, down to bare metal at the front.
    gearbox was rebuilt 6 months after purchase.
    interior squeaks are common, get a loud exhaust and dont worry about them.

Andreas

Thread Information