405 Mi16 Timing belt replaced ?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

405 Mi16 Timing belt replaced ?

I have a beautiful '91 with 118,000 miles on it. I was pulling into a parking space with my foot on the clutch when my timing belt snapped ,has anyone ever replaced one ?Do you think any valves are bent .Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    hi welcome to aussie frogs.i have replaced quite a few mi16 belts.had one that had a small piece of cam belt cover snap off and fell down between the crank gear,took one tooth off and jumped the belt on the exhaust side it bent all 8 valves.what a mess.head off valves,overhaul the works.with clutch in you may have saved it,you will have to fit a new belt and do a compression test to see.good luck.80,000 km or 4 years for change time. stuart.

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi there, My mate has a mi16 93 model which he jus sanoed the timing belt on travelling at about 15kmh, the cost to him was about $1800 AUS, but the best thing for you to do is pull teh head off and send it to a enginerr to be tetsed that way you will know wat you are up for. What ever you can do your self the money will stay in your pocket especially on these type of cars.

1000+ Posts
    Apparently they are more likely to snap when you are manouvering slowly and changing revs or when starting up because of the belt having more strain on it whilst overcoming inertia in the valve train. This seems to bear this out.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information