504 transmission tunnels
  • Register
  • Help

504 transmission tunnels

A highly technical question....

My understanding is that the tunnels in automatic and manual 504s are different, that the tunnel for the auto is larger to accommodate the bigger bellhousing that surrounds the torque converter.

Actually, I'll ask a few questions...

1. Is this in fact so... I believe it is...

2. Was it so from the beginning, when the ZF gearboxes were fitted?

3. Is the ZF bellhousing smaller than that on the Borg Warner?

4. Is it a right hand drive thing, to give clearance to the clutch pedal rather than to the bellhousing?

5. Has anyone fitted a Borg Warner auto in where a manual once lived?

Advertisement

Hope there's lots of definitive answers to this...

Tadpole
    Yes, the manual has a smaller tunnel. I've gone through all possibilities in the replacement of a 74 manual with an auto. (That is, my mechanics have). Only the ZF will fit, albeit with some minor bashing. The Borg Warner is far too big. This second-hand ZF expired after a year or so, and I have subsequently had to replace it with the 505 equivalent ZF, as no local reco 504 ZFs are available. This fitted, but some minor modifications needed to be made to the shift linkages. A ZF is a costly process eg $1800 alone for the transmission. Subsequently, in chasing "liveliness", I have had the carburettor overhauled, rejetted and a 505 cam(?) fitted on the carburettor to replace the existing one.

It now goes well, and is solid and lively, but I still prefer the shift pattern on the Borg Warner which I have on one of my other 1978 504s (always an auto), but as said above the Borg Warner is an impossibility with the manual tunnel. Worth doing if the rest of the car is bulletproof. It's certainly the only comfortable option in city traffic, and it still goes well on the highway.

Regards

Bazza
    PCCV

I can concur. My friend tried to fit a borg-warner auto in a 1976 manual body and it was nowhere close to fitting.

Regarding clearance for the clutch pedal, it's not an issue. My car is a 1978 auto body which has been converted to manual and there is plenty of room for the clutch pedal. When you are underneath the car there is heaps more room around the whole gearbox than in a manual bodyshell.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thanks, David... the guys at the Peugeot-L forum thought I was daft, I think... poor sods only have ZFs... and by the sound of things they're not particularly reliable.

I think the idea of getting bits from your average Austin Freeway dealer would be nice.

Tadpole
    Ray

I didn't mean to imply that ZFs are unreliable - they're basically bulletproof - it just goes to show that secondhand items really need a history - my first Zf didn't.

Bazza

I've found them totally reliable myself. Never given me the slightest bother at all.

Then again, I've never driven a car fitted with one....

Thread Information