205 ignition problems
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

205 ignition problems

Problem,
    My 205 GTi has a problem when starting- sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I get a humm sound when it won't start. Eventually, if I slip it in and out of gear or just try a few times it eventually starts. Whenever I've taken it to an auto electrician, they can never pick up the problem. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix it?

Advertisement

Rupert,

To me it sounds like a sticky bendix in the starter motor. Another thought is that as you have to drop it in & out of gear before it starts, the starter motor isn't jamming engaged by any chance?? The noises that they usually make are enough to raise heaps of suspicions if it is.
    When you say it hums, does it sound like it's jammed or as though it's spinning freely without a load?
    The starter's going to have to come out whatever the cause I'd reckon.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan S:
    The starter's going to have to come out whatever the cause I'd reckon.

Rupert,
    I agree with Alan, its gotta come out whatever the issue - for investigation.
    I can give you a hand if needs be or reccommend an auto electrician to bench test it, or both.
    What year is the car and how many miles?
    What colour - I may know the car as there aren't too many around here.

ipb

I have come in a bit late in the piece, but i have similar issues with my 205. it also hums but does not start. this has happenned about four times, the worst the other day. tried for ages to start it, taking leads off, making sure they were clean, etc., gave up and called the NRMA. when he arrived it started first go! have a reconditioned starter, relatively new bushes in the alternator and new battery. no idea whats going on.

Fellow Frogger!
    Guys,

My 205 had some dramas starting some times, popped first go others.

There is a small wire in/about/near the coil that can cause this drama as well. I had mine replaced just in case, with clean injectors (and a propper earth now !!) it starts first go every go, does not hunt for idle as much and is generally much better.

May be something to check.

Chipper

There is a small wire in/about/near the coil that can cause this drama as well. I had mine replaced just in case, with clean injectors (and a propper earth now !!) it starts first go every go, does not hunt for idle as much and is generally much better.

May be something to check.

Chipper [/B][/QUOTE]

Speak more of this strange wire chipper old son...

ipb

Fellow Frogger!
    Lads,

I am having dramas viewing and posting here (damn work filter ), but my brother has told me you are asking "what is this wire"?

Well, buggered if I know for certain , but , the gent who serviced my 205 would be able to tell you. Its a small wire located around the coil, he will know what you mean.

His name is Ian Reddiex and he works for Euroserve in Brisbane (they did a tip top job on my car, can recommend them for sure).

Ph 07 3852 1399 or mobie 0414 249 102.

Tell him Brendon with the silver 205 that was lowered sent you to ask.

Hope this can help you.

Chip

I have been told on a couple of overseas boards that a wire or plug which is near the coil (BX 16V) and under the batterey can corrode. Perhaps that is the one he means.
    Also on the BX there is a relay in the same region which also works on the starter. This often gets full of crap/moisture and corrodes the points. Usually though, when this cracks up, it just means that you get absolutely ziltch at the starter. No noises or action of any type.
    BTW, Ian Reddiex is the son of Jum Reddiex a former Importer/dealer of Citroens and Pug dealer. He was also a top Rally driver in his day and to my knowledge his boys were almost born in French cars. You'd have to go a long way to find anyone with more experience than that family. Not the cheapest in Town but extremely honest and competant.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts
    Many electical problems can be attributed to bad earths - don't know if this is one, but it's always a good idea to put an aftermarket earth strap from the chassis to the engine block (obviously the block connected to the starter). The starter can pull 500 amps, so needs a good earth. In fact, in the US there's a company that sells earth wire sets called 'Massive Overkill' designed to alleviate those inexplicable problems across the board, particularly on engine management systems.

My two cents worth !

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hi Guys,

The sensor is located under the coil cover its black and its a common problem.

Nick Watson

------------------
    Pug Action - French Styling in Australia.
    http://drive.to/pugaction

President of Peugeot GTi Autosport Club of Australia.
    http://www.peugeot-gti.com
    <a href="http://www.pugaction.com" target="_blank">http://www.pugaction.com</a>

Fellow Frogger!
    Rupert,

R you talking about the heavily sheided cable that runs from the coil to the side of the distrubuter.
    As i tried to get one from alpine affair but they think they r not available.
    I worked at bosche for a while in the fuel injector department and have a few freinds working in there i am going to ask them if they can check the partnumber for me for availability.
    By the way i repaired it myself and have not had any problems since.

Murat

Thread Information