Keyless Entry Issues
  • Register
  • Help

Default Keyless Entry Issues

Hello,

I recently purchased a 96 405 and the keyless entry it not working. The LTD is flicking in the remote but when I press the button the doors do not unlock. I was wondering if is this a common problem and simple to fix or should I go down to the Auto Electrician and get a generic set to fix the problem...Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Luke

I recently purchased a 96 405 and the keyless entry it not working. The LTD is flicking in the remote but when I press the button the doors do not unlock. I was wondering if is this a common problem and simple to fix or should I go down to the Auto Electrician and get a generic set to fix the problem...Advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Not unusual, have you tried cleaning the battery contacts inside the fob and a set of new batteries? Mine responded to this treatment before being accidentally soaked in water. I wouldn't try to resolder the joints on the board, it is too small unless you really know what you are doing.

Farmerdave

96 model 405?? i think you mean 406?...
    Are you pointing it the right way? Also put new batteries as famerdave pointed out. Try also using inside the car,.. what happens? - chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    96 model 405?? i think you mean 406?...
    Are you pointing it the right way? Also put new batteries as famerdave pointed out. Try also using inside the car,.. what happens? - chris

Um correct me if I'm wrong but there were 96 model 405's yes????
    Current: '06 Iron Grey 407 SV HDi '02 Silver Audi S4 '05 GTi 180
    ----------------------------------------------
    Previous: '05 Aegean Blue GTi 180
    ----------------------------------------------
    Previous: '04 Sahara Gold 206 GTi
    ---------------------------------------------
    Previous: '95 Silver 405 SRDT (Fantastic Tourer)

My Bad...Its a 1995 (96 import) Sorry.

I will try cleaning the fob and placing a new batteries in it. If not successful could there be something wrong with the sensor attached to the car. My technological knowledge is rudimental but I do have an understanding of electrics.

1000+ Posts

Moved because this topic is nothing to do with Tuning & modification discussions - you'll get more responses in the Peugeot section.

Derek.

I've got the same sort of problem with my 406, put new batteries in it and worked fine for a day or so then no good again. Funny thing is that if I pull it apart and put it back together again, it works for a couple of goes and then nothing again... Any Ideas? or just clean all the shinny bits??

Ky

Ok I took the fob apart and used a litte bit of metho to clean the 'Shiny bits' on the each side of the fob and on the circut its self. It works great...then it stops....then it works great....what the? Im not to sure what to do.

Im sure its a problem withthe fob but what...is it still dirty or does it have a faulty connection? If so is there a place where you can get a new one?

Thanks advise would be much appricated

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Im sure its a problem withthe fob but what...is it still dirty or does it have a faulty connection? If so is there a place where you can get a new one?
    With proof of ownership (ie rego papers), take the car to a Peugeot dealer. They'll get the VIN, the code out of the receiver and verify your ownership and order a new key for you. 306 infrared ones are ~$85. I believe radio operated remotes are more expensive.

Derek

Thanks mate your a life saver. I couldn't be bothered taking the fob apart and cleaning it all the time.

Just to any new Peugeot dealer? Does anybody know where a good one in Melbourne is?

Kind Regars

farmerdave

[QUOTE=Luke]Ok I took the fob apart and used a litte bit of metho to clean the 'Shiny bits' on the each side of the fob and on the circut its self. It works great...then it stops....then it works great....what the? Im not to sure what to do. [QUOTE]

Sounds a bit like a broken or dry joint, replacement is probably best. The code should be on a bit of paper inside the fob and inside the receiver unit. Receivers and senders cannot be recoded to suit like the earlier ones as the code is stored on a rom chip, hence the factory arrangment.
    When you replaced the batteries, did you clean them with a dry cloth (or metho) and avoid fingerprints? sometimes helps.

Farmerdave

Yes gave the fob and batteries a really good clean, I took a lot of rubbish off the connections then put it all back together.

Hmm I think perhaps its time to just go down to the dealer and get a new unit. But I will give it another go you never know might have missed something.

Thanks again for your assistance.

I had the receiver unit inside my '95 306 replaced under warranty many years ago when the infra red remote locking died.

Those guys with the intermittent problem try and find someone who's good with a soldering iron. It's most likely just a bad solder join. Check around the battery holder terminals in particular- I've seen them go on other remotes.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

This thread may be of interest to you. Don't freak out re the cost of the 306 S16 key (180 plus) its different from the 405...
    Remote Key Fob
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

Thread Information