What colour???
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: What colour???

Icon5 What colour???

My 306 is fellin a bit unloved and wants me to pay it some attention but i dont really want to go spending lots of money on it. I thought that i could paint it myself, i have a mate with a compressor and air gun and i would be looking at $200 - $300 for the paints and it would be something fun to do.

First question is there isnt any thing for about the same price i could do to it to make it go any better that would be better spent? How much would suspention or brakes cost?

Now if not what colour would look good on a 306 xt??? Im thinking Red or blue but maybe a metalic silver or british racing green would go alright.

Cheers,

Advertisement

I've always loved british racing green, dont know if it will look the best on a306 though. I've always loved that deep navy blue which came with the n5 series, would cost alot though!

Where I used to live, there was a xt in BR green / the same colour as the one on the instruction booklet. It's not the best of colour. A lighter colour such as silver should go quite well.

That fire red they came in Lovely!
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

i've allways loved the agean blue since i saw a 307 in it a while ago it really does it for me. your going to have to be pretty careful if you brush it yourself, and your also gonna have to take into account that unless you take your engine out your enginebay is going to be a diffrent color

Quote Originally Posted by camlv
    My 306 is fellin a bit unloved and wants me to pay it some attention but i dont really want to go spending lots of money on it. I thought that i could paint it myself, i have a mate with a compressor and air gun and i would be looking at $200 - $300 for the paints and it would be something fun to do.

First question is there isnt any thing for about the same price i could do to it to make it go any better that would be better spent? How much would suspention or brakes cost?

Now if not what colour would look good on a 306 xt??? Im thinking Red or blue but maybe a metalic silver or british racing green would go alright.

Cheers,
    If you've never painted a car before, DO NOT do a metalic or effect paint. If not applied right, the outcome can be less than average.

When i was 18, I tried to paint one of my SLR's in a metalic CYAN BLUE. I didn't make each pass with the right overlap on the roof and ended up with metalic partical lines in the paint. It looked like a pair of striped PJ's.

Stick to plain colours, they are easy to paint and easy to repair yourself if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Failing that, buy $200 worth of beer, and have an AF BBQ... inviting all of us!! After a few beer's, at your expense, everyone is bound to tell you how good your car looks regardless!!

Ford where using robots and still couldn't get it right!!

Ah hello!!! Ford can't get anything right!!

Oh and I'd say white. Always come out a treat, easy to keep clean, and easy to sell, and safe at night!!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 13th September 2004 at 02:59 PM.
    Current: '06 Iron Grey 407 SV HDi '02 Silver Audi S4 '05 GTi 180
    ----------------------------------------------
    Previous: '05 Aegean Blue GTi 180
    ----------------------------------------------
    Previous: '04 Sahara Gold 206 GTi
    ---------------------------------------------
    Previous: '95 Silver 405 SRDT (Fantastic Tourer)

Unless you've painted b4 I wouldn't go down that path. Better to get someone who knows (even better if you know them and they give you mates rates) what they're doing.

Personally the only thing I'd do is make it more comfortable eg put iin some good ice.

By the time you've spent the $$ to turn it into a GTi you could've got one.

Just my

Icon4

Whats with every one and been negative about painting cars??? my dad has painted a car befor with poweder puffs and said it looked real good. The guy at a the car paint shop i went to get prices said that you just have to keep mixing the metalic colours heaps and then its easy to do and they dont look shit. I wornt bother with the engine bay.

The colour 3 possibilitys im thinking on a WRX (chosen because of the colours they have not because 306s look anything like them)

Blue 1
    http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza...23444/2C20.jpg

Blue 2
    http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza...23447/2C20.jpg

Red
    http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza...23444/4H20.jpg

that aside what kind of effect would a front strut brace, lower springs or pitted slotted rotors have?

Alternativly i might try to get a old 504 for motorkhanas and khanacrosses.

Cheers,

i like the second blue, but if your going to with a blue, why don't you have a look at the aegean blue. You'd be suprised how good it looks when you see it in the flesh

I was never planning on spending 2k on my car, im very much a investment man. why is it so hard to do a good job??? is it just applying it evenly?

Theres nothing wrong with the paint its just boaring and for around $200 i thought it would be a bit of fun painting it. i might sleep on it though, i dont want it looking like a chalk board.

Hi all... I actually reasprayed my 306 S16 myself, but with a pro painter helping me all the way.
    Because the 306 has so many flat and edged panels id leave it to an expert.
    But if you'r that keen then stick to 2pack colours clear over base, and think about how you will paint the door and hatch jambs first, then do the body.
    I recomend a silver, like the current 206's. Silver 306's look wiked mean, easy to clean and silver hides well.
    -Chris
    ... ptui!

Tadpole

i've always liked the really light blue (nearly silver) colour - i think its called moonstone ?

2-Pac?? Now you are asking for trouble if you don't know what you're doing... shish, talk about making a bad situation worse!! Yes.. you had a professional helping you.. did he use a booth?? If not, then you might have thought your results where top notch, but give me thirty seconds with the car, and i'll have you crying
    To clear it up, i asked my mate exactly what we used.I was wrong, it wasn't 2pak, we used acrylic, and YES we used a booth. He is in charge of a large workshop in Alexandria, so everything is pro, we use SIKKENS paints, no reducer or hardner and left the var in the booth to dry for 3 days..... i just did the labour side of things, ie preping, panel removal etc, so I was the apprentice and he was the tradesman. 6 months on and the car still looks a million bucks. Because we used factory colour, it looks like a N3 thats been updated. Nice...-Chris
    ... ptui!

I'd especially never try to paint a car that doesn't need it!! I'm good at doing the labour... but geez... there are some things 10years experience just can't replace. And i don't have that under my belt... just enough to know what a good job is, and respect the work that went into getting it there.

Seriously, if you have the urge to paint a car, why not buy a Datsun 120Y (or get one given to you.. thats pretty close to the going rate) and paint it to see just what sort of a result you will get. Then, you can take it to a paddock and burn it/do donuts in it/sell it again to some P plater... No-one will care, as it's a datsun 120Y!! [/QUOTE]

Mate, i agree, true words of wisdom. I once painted a family hand me down Beetle, bright red of course, but only because the factory pale blue was more rust than paint!
    And while i eventually got something of a passable finish, there were faults just everywhere. There is just nothing easy about painting a car, ever, how many professional repair shops get it wrong.
    To repaint a factory finish that sounds like it just needs a clean up would be madness, at the end of the day the first timer would have to step back and say in all honesty "yep that looks like crap"!

Cheers
    Ralph
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

point taken. i might just wear blue glasses so it looks blue to me.

If you think you are going to paint any car in metallic for $200 then think again. If you use a solid colour with no clear coat, and by the time you factor in the primer, thinners, sandpaper, filler, putty, guide coat etc etc etc you might get away with it for $400. Maybe.
    Get an old wreck and give it a go, it is a lot of fun but don't think your first attempt will be spot on, it won't.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information