Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended
  • Register
  • Help

Default Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended

Hi all,

Got back from a trip to Alice Springs a week ago. The reason for driving there was because I will be going overseas for a couple of months and I miss my 180, so hopefully driving 5700km would help diminish that affection.

The round trip took me 7 days to complete, with 1 day rest day in Alice Springs.

First day took me to Broken Hill, went to a Chinese Restaurant for dinner there and had a huge MSG overdose afterwards, rashes and stuff overnight.
    Peugeot Sightings ~20

Day 2: Broken Hill to Coober Pedy on the Barrier Hwy, saw a funny sign at Cockburn but the towns there are very rundown, not nice at all. Wilmington to Port Augusta has a nice windy hill climb and descend, that was fun. Saw a Rex STi at the Pimba petrol station, waiting for me to finish with the Preimum pump. Then he overtook me on the hwy, tried to chase him, but I think he was doing 160km upwards, even on the bends.
    Peugeot Sightings ~1 206XT, didn't wave back

Day 3: Coober Pedy to Alice Springs, the fun begins, everyone is speeding like mad. Remain cautious cos I was unsure about the speed limit. Planned this leg to take 6 1/2 hours, ended up only 5 hours.
    Peugeot Sightings 0, but saw a Citroen.

Advertisement

Day 4: Stayed at Alice Springs, did a car wash, drove around town. Lots of looks, I mean lots of ppl checking the car out (after I washed it).
    Peugeot Sightings I don't think ppl in Alice Springs has seen the 180 before.

Day 5: Alice Springs back to Coober Pedy, having asked the conceirge at the hotel that there is no speed limit, the fun begins (see speed dial photo). Road very bumpy though. Those road trains are not very long when you overtake them at high speed.
    Peugeot Sightings 1 306 on the way to Alice

Day 6: Coober Pedy to Adelaide, uneventful, borderline boring. Got to Adelaide and somehow drove past Taylors with lines of silver 180. Not use to so much traffic and the bloody Red Light & SPEED camera. Will found out how many times I get caught soon.

Day 7: Adelaide to Sydney. Was planning to stay overnight at Wagga but miss home too much. This drive is up there with the Day 5 leg. Listened to some advice here on Aussieforg before the trip on the which road to take, didn't disappoint at all. First stop Hahndorf for a nice big German breakfast that I was going to regret towards the end of the day. Ahem. The road to Ouyen was fantastic, it was that way via Moulamein, Deniliquin, Jerilderie and Wagga. By now the sun is setting and I know the cops will be around in NSW. Wagga to Sydney was the worst drive ever, cops everywhere in the median waiting to pounce, the hume was boring, I am getting tired and need to sXXt. Finally got home at 22:00 and can't wait to do it again

If I could come back from overseas on time, I am definitely planning another trip to Perth to see the WRC in November. I told my soccer mate (about 10 of us) about this trip and we are planning another soccer drive to QLD in Feb. Take a week off, drive til 15:00, find an oval, play a game of 5-a-side. Look for the nearest pub, then motel. Drive off again next day, repeat 7 times.

Codgamer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-engineered-enjoyed2.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-flap.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-how-fast.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-another-frog.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-cockburn.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-morning.jpg  

XTC

Cool run .. any stats on fuel consumption and fuel availabilty?

And the burning question "how was it without cruise control?"

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

This car is crying out for a sixth gear. The fuel consumption is quite high, cos at 130km/h the engine is reving at 4000.

Fuel availability is good but I am highly suspicious of the country petrol stations premium fuels. We have all used normal and premium fuel and can tell by the extra kick the premium, Optimax, Voltex etc has when you step on the gas pedal. But after refuelling in some of these country ones, I feel that the car got sluggish when overtaking. The most pronounce difference is on the last day when I refuel in Wagga BP. The fuel was so good my car was doing 500 rev less for the speed I was doing before. But it is either crappy fuel or hitchhike. What can you do?

I list all the towns I will go pass every night before the trip and on average ther is a town every 200 kms or less. I make sure to stop every 200 km to refuel and more importantly, to stretch my legs and shoulders. The ankle is fine but it is the knee ligaments on my right knee and my shoulders that are starting to get sore. I was going quite fast so I had to keep both hands on the wheels at all time at the 10 & 2 oclock position and that was a killer for my shoulders.
    Funny you mention CC, I had a very long conversation with my GF during the trip about the merit of CC. She said it will make it easier to drive but I reckon it will be more dangerous cos the roads are so straight you can get bored and fall asleep real easy. And CC on my 180, where is the fun?

The only thing is on weekends a lot of the petrol stations with preimum is not open, that's when you panick!!

Codgamer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-ave-speed.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-distance.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-fuel.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-adelaide.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-coober.jpg   Sydney to Alice Springs Trip Extreme Fun!! Highly Recommended-signs.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by codgamer
    The ankle is fine but it is the knee ligaments on my right knee and my shoulders that are starting to get sore. I was going quite fast so I had to keep both hands on the wheels at all time at the 10 & 2 oclock position and that was a killer for my shoulders.
    Sore knee? Well of course it is. If you could had used CC your knee would have been much kinder to you

Sounds like lots of fun Codgamer, but I'm disappointed you didn't get the needle higher than that. I hope it crept up further off camera
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Sounds like lots of fun Codgamer, but I'm disappointed you didn't get the needle higher than that. I hope it crept up further off camera
    Don't forget he had the speed alert active/on-board at the time .. give him some credit

- XTC -

PS: Seen GTi138 needles higher then that

Now this is a .sig

Going that speed in the photo your oil temperature is very very high. how was that at cruising speed like 130 it wasn't always that high. And i hope you got a bit faster then that off the camera would of been nice to film it and listen to the engine accelerate up too that speed.

I tried several times to go faster but can't, because there are quite a few hazards on the road, Kangaroos, cattles, cars with trailers and trucks. Even when I floored the gas pedal, it takes a while to achieve that speed and by the time it is nearly there, there are cars or I have to turn into a bend.

And in SA, there are these bloody things on the road called grids, damn annoying and bounces the car everywhere.

The drive is fun, but I found it most entertaining when there are cars in front going fast and you play chase, it really makes time go faster.

Codgamer.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

And in SA, there are these bloody things on the road called grids, damn annoying and bounces the car everywhere.
    If you got rid of the funny poogoe thing and bought a **Real** car You wouldn't need to worry about silly things like cattle grids

Can I suggest a CX2500 GTi Turbo or SM

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

The fuel was so good my car was doing 500 rev less for the speed I was doing before. But it is either crappy fuel or hitchhike. What can you do?

how is this possible ?

did the better fuel change your gear ratios
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    how is this possible ?
    did the better fuel change your gear ratios
    Exactly ... not possible, but good fuel could make the car feel like it's working less to achieve the same speed. (hence the confusion).

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Could be, but after driving the car consistently for 6 days, I could really tell the difference when I step on the gas.

Codgamer.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Could be, but after driving the car consistently for 6 days, I could really tell the difference when I step on the gas.

Codgamer.

yes, the car will feel better but it won't change x revs at x speed because of the fuel in the car whilst it has direct drive to the wheels

sounds like a good trip though
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

The fastest I've taken my 180 is to 160kph. Not for every long mind you, it's important to be VERY selective about the road you're on at the time here in Vic.
    My temp always sits on 90c but I haven't been anywhere hot yet. Is that why the needle is a little high - hotter ambient temp and the engine was working HARD?

I've got my GTI6 up to 130 mph (210 km/hour) but not in this country. You need good roads to drive safely at those sort of speeds.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

When I am doing constant 130km/h, the oil temp is about 100, so I guess anything below 4000rev is 90C, 5000rev is 100 and so forth.

Codgamer.

Nice story! Surprised you didn't go faster though, I hit higher speeds on some of the roads I recommended. And maintained such speeds around corners... so... are you saying the 180 is a tad nervous at such speeds? My Golf GTI and Focus are both incredibly stable at 200kph plus.

I think the 180 is fine, I am a tad nervous.

The Barrier Highway is so straight I can do 220km/hr without problems, it is just that there are too many cars and I am still in NSW so a bit wary of cops. The quality of the road surface is quite good too. Very even.

We all know the suspension is quite stiff on the 180 and the road in NT is sealed but had quite a bit of wear and tear from all the trucks, it is quite uneven. So when you are driving fast you can feel every bump and at 210km it jolts the whole body up and down, back and forth. It is like you are about to take off in a plane (It sounds like you are about to take off too). When I got back to NSW I can feel the difference between the quality of the roads and if there were no cops, doing 210km on the hume, the 180 would be quite stable, watching the oil temp rise to level I am never seen before was quite worrying though. Just like Nassty, I only saw the oil temp at 90 most of the time and 100 Max after peugeot drives.

I got booked speeding in Bathurst in day 1 and saw an motorcycle cop on the way to Adelaide in day 6 and another cop on the Hume on day 7.

I enjoyed the ouyen deniliquin route but I was too afraid to go too fast because of the cops. As for the car, most of the corners of this route I can do 130 to 140km/h without the Pirrelli even making a sound. I tried turning at that speed on some corners near Moulamein when I could see further down the road.

That's why I enjoy chasing another fast car cos if there is a cop, then I would have enough warning from the guy in front of me.

Codgamer
    Last edited by codgamer; 11th September 2004 at 03:27 AM.

Thread Information