summer and 306s
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: summer and 306s

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default summer and 306s

I was wondering how my 306 will fair in the summer months. I have seen that some people take the battery cover off for a start to help stop the battery from overheating. Anything else I should be aware of?

what sort of temps should my coolant be at? It has risen above 90 degrees a couple of times and that was sitting in traffic on a relatively coolish day. what's going to happen come those 35+ days??

Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I was wondering how my 306 will fair in the summer months. I have seen that some people take the battery cover off for a start to help stop the battery from overheating. Anything else I should be aware of?

what sort of temps should my coolant be at? It has risen above 90 degrees a couple of times and that was sitting in traffic on a relatively coolish day. what's going to happen come those 35+ days??

also ensure your thermo fans are working properly and are not loose on the shafts
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

How can I check the thermo fans? And ummmm, where might I find these? (that is, which one is for the A/C and which one is the radiator fan?)

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Even in the 40+ temps we had at the start of this year I had no issues with my cooling system. Sat on 90deg all day every day. I had however had the radiator core cleaned and new thermostat and coolant in only 2 months before.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

1000+ Posts

Fans are shared: low speed is "air con" only - high speed is engine cooling mode.
    Check the fans are actually attached to the shafts. Mine had come off - but still "freewheeled" on the shaft so it looked like they were running, but they had no gusto (hence the car overheated).

I've never had any troubles with anything cooling related in any 306, with the exception of dodgy fans.

Why bother taking the battery cover off (it's not covered anyway???) - I haven't had any issues with batteries either. The only time I could see battery issues being anything to worry about is if you're in traffic *all* the time.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Fans are shared: low speed is "air con" only - high speed is engine cooling mode.
    Check the fans are actually attached to the shafts. Mine had come off - but still "freewheeled" on the shaft so it looked like they were running, but they had no gusto (hence the car overheated).

I've never had any troubles with anything cooling related in any 306, with the exception of dodgy fans.

Why bother taking the battery cover off (it's not covered anyway???) - I haven't had any issues with batteries either. The only time I could see battery issues being anything to worry about is if you're in traffic *all* the time.

Derek

don't you have a battery box cover on yours ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    don't you have a battery box cover on yours ?
    Nope, neither of my 306's have had one.
    Maybe it's a GTi6 "feature"?

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Nope, neither of my 306's have had one.
    Maybe it's a GTi6 "feature"?

Derek.

no idea

maybe it's something that we have to look into

i can't see why a GTi-6 has one and the others don't seeing as the batteries all sit in the same spot in all the cars
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

i can't see why a GTi-6 has one and the others don't seeing as the batteries all sit in the same spot in all the cars
    Funny cause my Dad's XSi '99 or '00 has a battery cover/box, while my Mum's XT doesn't.

Although the XSi was a Peugeot car used by the Service Manager at a dealer, maybe he put it in?

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Well, mine's got the battery cover. I was under the impression all 306s had them. You can get some awesome looking after market ones from e-bay UK.

DeKa: So, to check the fan, if it can turn when the engine isn't running it has disconnected? Is it thermo controlled? My Volvo last year had one that only came on once the engine temp got too high. Other than that I have only ever had rear wheel drive cars that had a constant fan running.

Thread Information