Gti180 engine cover
  • Register
  • Help

Default Gti180 engine cover

Hi All,

Need some advice here. My Gti180's engine cover is still making a buzzing noise even after I've got the service guys to tighten it up (Having played with the damn thing I'm starting to think it's a design flaw!). I'm tempted to remove the engine cover permanently as it's really annoying. Just wondering if this is a good idea? Or would it be better to get an aftermarket engine cover instead? I remember from a previous post a while ago, someone suggested getting a carbon fibre version? Just wondering if anyone know where to get one of these from and if it does stops the buzzzzziiiiiinnnnngggg......

Cheers =)

Advertisement

XTC

Yes it's a design flaw!

Simple fix ..

http://www.206gti.net/enginecover/

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    That wont work for the 180 cover, as it doesn't have any ribs on the back of it. Maybe i should write a "How-To" for the 180 on this, XTC? Although, maybe thats pointless as my oil FAQ's have been lost in the ether anyway...
    No ribs, but surely some location for a tiny bit of padding ? Got a photo ? Simple to add to the above link. (if 138 cover do this .... if 180 cover do this instead).

As for FAQ you'll be pleased to know it did actually get reviewed, changed and discussed over a good dozen emails. Final outcome has not been resolved yet as there was some debate on the issue. Don't ASSUME it's been forgotten.

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by 666
    Hi All,

Need some advice here. My Gti180's engine cover is still making a buzzing noise even after I've got the service guys to tighten it up (Having played with the damn thing I'm starting to think it's a design flaw!). I'm tempted to remove the engine cover permanently as it's really annoying. Just wondering if this is a good idea? Or would it be better to get an aftermarket engine cover instead? I remember from a previous post a while ago, someone suggested getting a carbon fibre version? Just wondering if anyone know where to get one of these from and if it does stops the buzzzzziiiiiinnnnngggg......

Cheers =)
    Does yours happen around the 3000/min mark aswell ? I went and took mine in yesterday and they said they'd fixed it but as soon as I drove off the noise was still there do they actually check this after they do it ?? obviously not. Have you tried taking the cover off and seeing if the noise is still there with it off ?
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    OK: Here are some pic's of the engine cover, and the studs that hold it. What i actaully did was use some flat rubber washer's and hot glued them to the bottom of that black 'spiggot' on the bottom of the engine cowl.
    Sweet, this is good, the rubber grommet solution was the one many of us first tried (and was Peugeots solution given to us by quite a few of the dealers), but with the 138 cover it didn't seem to work for long (there must be other parts touching). If this works for the 180 cover great. We'll have to get some clearer pictures for the web though (these where taken with a mobile phone or pocketPC/Palm?)

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Thanxs Jester_Fu for your advice. I'll give that a go on the weekends. Hopefully it'll stop the buzzing or else the cover is definitely coming off.

> Does yours happen around the 3000/min mark aswell

Yes it does you start hearing the buzzing noise the engine hits 2800rpm and then goes away once it gets past 3000rpm.

It's such a shame cos normally a shift around 3000rpm during normal driving. So you just constantly hearing this buzzing noise. Such a pity cos I love the sound of the Gti180 as it's revving up...such sweet music to my eyes!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by 666
    Yes it does you start hearing the buzzing noise the engine hits 2800rpm and then goes away once it gets past 3000rpm.
    It's such a shame cos normally a shift around 3000rpm during normal driving.
    It's a built in shift indicator .... another Peugeot undocumented feature

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

You accidentally put an f in the word shit in you last post
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

I actually took the cover off mine and went for drive to test it out and low and behold !! The bloody noise was still there Has anyone else tried driving without the cover on to actually make sure the cover is in fact the culprit ?? If it aint the cover, what the hell is the thing making this rattling noise around the 3000 - 3200 Rpm mark
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

The buzzing isn't as obvious when the engine is cold. But once it's warmed up you can hear it alright. I finally took of the engine cover off this morning and it's much better now. The bulk of the buzzing has disappear and the engine sounds much better.

I notice however that the dealer has added extra padding to the engine cover to try and fix the buzzing nosie when I brought the car in for the 10K service. But I guess they didn't put enough on.

Just a concern that I have with running the engine without the cover- would the heat of the engine affect any part of the bonnet or parts near it? I ask this because the engine cover has some installation padding beneath it?

CHeck this out ! I think this may be the problem I've got and not the Cylinder Head cover.

Go to the Engine part. and then noise on acceleration.

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Griff180
    Go to the Engine part. and then noise on acceleration.
    The 180 has different extractors (so i believe ) ... this was for the 138 (and yes I've had that problem fixed too).

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

Icon14

I've booked mine in for next Thursday. The Service manager was pretty good about it. He said the guy who was meant to fix it was very sure that what he had done would fix the noise as he'd done the fix before. Just a shame he didn't test it before and after. Anyway, on Thursday they are going to give me a courtesy vehicle while they have a look at mine. I'm assuming the courtesy car is free because of the way he said it. So If I can get that fixed and my leather wrapped instrument binnacle arrives shortly, I will be a very happy chappy.
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

Thread Information