Slotted Rotors for Gti 180
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Slotted Rotors for Gti 180

Heya AF Peeps,

Just wanted to know what you think of changing the rotors from the OEM to Slotted

Slotted Rotors look HOT and i assume that they will perform a bit Better, Info otherwise is most welcomed

Advertisement

Ive done a few track days and the brakes on this car are great , minimal fade and strong power to pull up the car under harsh conditions.

Im no where near needing to change them yet though (only covered 7000Km) but because the rotors and the pad wear i want to cover all my options.

Either i get Dealer to replace with standard Bosche/Peugeot pads and rotors (rotors when needed of course)

Or

EBC Greenstuff pads and Slotted Rotors
    Im staying away from Drilled as there Evil Ive heard too many stories for them cracking and even Shattering under braking

Has anyone else done this to any Pug/Cit/Reno with good outcomes
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Ive had EBC Green Stuff Pads and EBC Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors on my 306 for about a year now and i cannot recommend them highly enough.

On the street they are fantastic and at Philip Island Racetrack they performed perfectly..i had no brake fade whatsoever.

Ive had no trouble with warping or cracking either and the pads still have quite a bit of meat left on them.

BUT if u go EBC pads make sure u go EBC rotors...dont mix match with that DBA crap as thats where problems arise.

Good luck
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Fellow Frogger!

WRCPUG, i often hold your opinions in the highest regard...

i have considered a brake upgrade (perhaps F2 kit-car sized) but that would require larger rims, new callipers, new lines, new pads, ABS module re-programming for piston diameter...

are the stock sized rotors efficient enough - ie have you ever got the ABS to activate at 100km/h ? I know that the tyres are the tractive link, but with super sticky rubber how much braking is too much

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Ive had EBC Green Stuff Pads and EBC Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors on my 306 for about a year now and i cannot recommend them highly enough.

On the street they are fantastic and at Philip Island Racetrack they performed perfectly..i had no brake fade whatsoever.

Ive had no trouble with warping or cracking either and the pads still have quite a bit of meat left on them.

BUT if u go EBC pads make sure u go EBC rotors...dont mix match with that DBA crap as thats where problems arise.

Good luck
    Cool

Im definantly going with this then and ive heard the same thing about EBC and BDA not liking each other too much

WRCPUG have you got any pics to Gee me up with

Can you remember what you paid so i have a rough guide to go with....please

are the stock sized rotors efficient enough - ie have you ever got the ABS to activate at 100km/h ? I know that the tyres are the tractive link, but with super sticky rubber how much braking is too much
    My car does not have ABS so i cannot tell u sorry.
    I can tell you that at the track (using the Toyo ST1) tyres i never skidded once....threshold breaking was fun and i didnt have a lockup.

The day after Philip Island i took sum dude for a spin booted to about 110kmph then tramped on the brakes....bad idea the brakes were a bit cold and the car almost spun around....however the car still didnt break traction.

With the crappy continetal tyres i got on now...braking is shocking...in the wet i have locked up many times even in the dry i lock up without realising. These tyres are dangerous

Honestly id stck with the brakes u have...the GTi6 brakes are more than efficient i still remeber first time i jumped on them it just blew my mind..and ripped my eyeballs outta their sockets.lol

Qd180- Sorry dude i dont know pricing...my brother bought a Gti6 that was used for sum track days. I ripped off all the good parts from his including OMP strut brace, OMP harness, Toyo tyres and the brakes. So my brakes were second hand yet they are still going strong

Pics eh?

Ok i think i got one for ya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slotted Rotors for Gti 180-dsc00997.jpg  
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

slightly off topic, I know...
    but where do you get your alloys painted black to actually look good ?? Was it done professionally ?

woldnt mind somethin like that for my S16 as the previous owner got a few scratches happening on the left side of the car
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

bahahha i used masking tape and a spray can.
    My rims are dodgy as dude....i need to get them done professionaly.

Most panel beaters/sprayers should do it for a few hundred dollars.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Qd180- Sorry dude i dont know pricing...my brother bought a Gti6 that was used for sum track days. I ripped off all the good parts from his including OMP strut brace, OMP harness, Toyo tyres and the brakes. So my brakes were second hand yet they are still going strong

Pics eh?

Ok i think i got one for ya
    Whoa...Looks Horn!!!

I love it....once mine need replacing im definantly gonna get them

I also have been running the EBC Turbo groove brakes and pads combo and i can't say enough about how good they are, i only wish i had changed to them more than 2 years ago when i got the car near new!!

As for cost i paid around the 400 mark for the discs and about 200 approx for pads. Easy as job to fit and one of the best investments i have made
    S16 ownership is like a fine french wine, perfection personified

Gents...
    Brad made a VERY good thread about this sort of upgrades, do a search and you will find plenty of feed back.
    ALSO consider fluid that matches the potential of your pads/discs... very important. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Gents...
    Brad made a VERY good thread about this sort of upgrades,
    306 Brake Upgrade Thread
    Here it is - the link you were talking about

and WRCPUG re: painting the alloys black the quality of the pics are not great - I thought you had them sand blasted and powder coated them but obiously if you used a spray can it's not gonna be that great - it will scratch easily for starters. I do like the not too shiny look through but its hard to tell with low resolution shots what's going on exatctly...
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Default Qd180

ALSO consider fluid that matches the potential of your pads/discs... very important. - Chris
    Thanks Chris

I'll prolly go EBC dot 4, sounds the biz

I found it very interesting and just wanted to know that once these break upgrades have been done whats the best way/various techniques to "Bed" them in???

Is there also a thread on this (im hopless at searching )

Ive also PM'ed you in regards to Falken Azenis for some advice

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by qd180; 10th September 2004 at 01:31 PM.

and WRCPUG re: painting the alloys black the quality of the pics are not great - I thought you had them sand blasted and powder coated them but obiously if you used a spray can it's not gonna be that great - it will scratch easily for starters. I do like the not too shiny look through but its hard to tell with low resolution shots what's going on exatctly...
    No i was lazy....i just cleaned up the rims with PrepWash and got sum matt black spray paint and did a few coats. They turned out OK....but sum had a few runs which looks crap. Also the edge lip has been scratched a bit so is looking a bit crappy.

I used to like the Matt finish but i put silicon tyre shine on my wheels then sprayed it on my rims too..to be honest in a gloss black i think they might look good too...or a semi gloss even.

Sorry to hijack ur thread dude.

Get the EBC though.....u dont really need bigger rotors or calipers as i heard the Gti180 brakes are awesome...even better than Gti6 which are pretty damn impressive in my books.

If u are in melb and want to check out my brakes gime a yell and ill take u for a spin to show u how they pull up.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Get the EBC though.....u dont really need bigger rotors or calipers as i heard the Gti180 brakes are awesome...even better than Gti6 which are pretty damn impressive in my books.

If u are in melb and want to check out my brakes gime a yell and ill take u for a spin to show u how they pull up.
    Cool

Im not gonna touch the Calipers, Look good in gold plus they are mighty impressive...

Another thing Rotor size
    Are the rotors for a 180 the same as a 138 Gti, being 266mm in diameter and 22 mm in thickness
    or are they simialr to a Gti 6, specs being 283mm in diameter and 22mm in thickness mmmm Big!

Can anyone confirm the actual Rotor specs for me (i dont really want to pull wheel off and measure....lazy)...also may be a silly question "But" will fitting a new rotor alter anything with regards to spacing inside the rim or will they just replace the oem size

Gents...
    Does anyone know how much brake fluid i will require

Icon10

No i was lazy....i just cleaned up the rims with PrepWash and got sum matt black spray paint and did a few coats. They turned out OK....but sum had a few runs which looks crap. Also the edge lip has been scratched a bit so is looking a bit crappy.

I used to like the Matt finish but i put silicon tyre shine on my wheels then sprayed it on my rims too..to be honest in a gloss black i think they might look good too...or a semi gloss even.

Sorry to hijack ur thread dude.

Hey WRC,

I gotta get some new brakes soon. Very Soon. Would love to take up the offer if still available. I'm thinking of Black Diamond Brakes. Also would love to see your rims. PM me if cool to catch up one day. My G/F lives over dat way of the city too.

cheers
    DAve
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

I just spoke to Daniel at EBC in Melbourne,and he has in stock sloted EBC rotors to suit the 180.
    #GT1069 = $200.00 each
    Green stuff pads to suit
    Fronts = $130.00
    Rears = $85.00
    Dot 4 fluid = $30.00/litre

Total = $645.00 + labour
    I think I will do this next week
    I will post some pic's when complete...

By the way
    206 GTI 138
    Front rotors are - 266mm EP20.4
    Rear rotors are - 247mm EP8
    206 GTI 180
    Front rotors are - 283mm EP26
    Rear rotors are - 247mm EP8

Go the EBC/Greenstuff... ...I ran them on my last GTi and they are GREAT!!!
    Well worth it even though standard 180 brakes are good.

Cheers
    GTI145
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

Quote Originally Posted by GTI145
    I think I will do this next week
    I will post some pic's when complete...
    Update please........ how did you go with the brakes

Pics???

Zen

Quote Originally Posted by GTI145
    #GT1069 = $200.00 each
    That should be GD1069. I've just been told that the GTi180 front rotors need replacing so I'm sourcing new ones, I'll use the Peugeot rotors as a last resort. I'm pretty surprised considering the front pads are still fine but the rotors are wearing low.

I was disappointed to find out Autospeed no longer sell EBC, they no longer sell alot of things now. If anyone knows of a website that I can find/buy either EBC's or DBA's, I would really appreciate it (even PM me a price if you happen to sell them). Anyone who can get hold of Peugeot front rotors at a decent price please PM me as well. Thanks in advance.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    That should be GD1069. I've just been told that the GTi180 front rotors need replacing so I'm sourcing new ones, I'll use the Peugeot rotors as a last resort. I'm pretty surprised considering the front pads are still fine but the rotors are wearing low.
    Some pads nowadays are actually too hard for normal day to day driving, because it needs a higher temp to work on, if your pads wear out before the discs, that's a good indication. That's one of the reason I stay away from EBC, the pad is so hard it ate a few discs from a few GTIs I know with lots of pad thickness left.

I have been using the OE rotors with Ferodo pads and stops brilliant on the track. I definitely heats up very quickly and stopped well even in the cold. Whether it eats the discs or not we'll have to wait and see.

Side note, slotted rotors is good to clean the pads but don't bank on it to keep the brake system cooler, heat dissipation relies on surface area and having slots on your rotors is reducing the contact area. new pads aren't like the old ones so gassing out is also becoming an urban myth with the more advanced materials.

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

XTC

So you don't like them at all??? Good LIAR* there by the way.

* Lexicon of Inconspicuously Ambiguous Recommendations

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    I have been using the OE rotors with Ferodo pads and stops brilliant on the track. I definitely heats up very quickly and stopped well even in the cold. Whether it eats the discs or not we'll have to wait and see.
    In my experience .... Ferodo stop great but EAT discs.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Zen

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    Some pads nowadays are actually too hard for normal day to day driving, because it needs a higher temp to work on, if your pads wear out before the discs, that's a good indication. That's one of the reason I stay away from EBC, the pad is so hard it ate a few discs from a few GTIs I know with lots of pad thickness left.

Side note, slotted rotors is good to clean the pads but don't bank on it to keep the brake system cooler, heat dissipation relies on surface area and having slots on your rotors is reducing the contact area. new pads aren't like the old ones so gassing out is also becoming an urban myth with the more advanced materials.

Jason
    I was using OE rotors and OE pads and the rotors were chewed, hence the puzzlement. And considering the amount of brake dust from the pads I'm even more puzzled.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    I was using OE rotors and OE pads and the rotors were chewed, hence the puzzlement. And considering the amount of brake dust from the pads I'm even more puzzled.

Rich
    Do you do a lot of short trips ?? Or trips that doesn't require much braking ??

I've heard the new (not squeaky) OE pads eat discs too , so don't be surprised.

Jason
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    In my experience .... Ferodo stop great but EAT discs.

- xTc -
    That's why I'm hoping my heavy brake use can negate this problem since I managed to fade the OE pads and the brakes are always hot when i stop, which means the pads are a lot softer on discs
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information