Cambelts and Tensioners Replacement
  • Register
  • Help

Default Cambelts and Tensioners Replacement

Hey

I have been reading some of the UK Peugeot forums and alot of them have warned me that the cam belt(on a Gti6) has a tendancy to crap itself prematurely.

Now im a bit worried that ill need to change mine...my car has done 60,000kms. Would u guys recomend changing it soon? I really dont want my motor to destroy itself

They also advised me to change the tensioners and the water pump.

What would an operation like this cost? And would it be adviseable to do it very soon?

Advertisement
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Yeh watch out....I have also seen GTi-6 drop belts before 80k,and not through driver abuse..the main reason is age - Peugeot say 4 years or 80,000km
    After 4 years the rubber in the cam-belt can start to go hard and crack,this isnt helped by the typical leak from the water pump which just speeds up the process.
    Get a pump/belt and tensioner and get it fitted - its good peice of mind
    How old is your car???Check it out
    I dropped a belt on the old Mi16.....not pretty
    Parts and labour you could be up for $1000.....trust me its cheaper than dropping the belt at 7000rpm and bending every valve
    Good luck

Cheers

GTI145
    Last edited by GTI145; 7th September 2004 at 01:47 AM.
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Hey

I have been reading some of the UK Peugeot forums and alot of them have warned me that the cam belt(on a Gti6) has a tendancy to crap itself prematurely.

Now im a bit worried that ill need to change mine...my car has done 60,000kms. Would u guys recomend changing it soon? I really dont want my motor to destroy itself

They also advised me to change the tensioners and the water pump.

What would an operation like this cost? And would it be adviseable to do it very soon?

Hi there,

I had my Cambelt, tensioners and water pump on my Mi changed for around $800 at Auto Paris in Box Hill. Give them a call, see if they can do you a good price. I can certainly tell you the work is good.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Thanks for the help guys

I will probably get the labour done at my dads workshop but has anyone got an idea on the cost of the parts? Im a little strapped for cash but i hate having the car in its current state....there are like 50 little things that need attention and i just want the car to be as it was 1 year aho.

Ill ask Autoparis how much they charge also..$800 seems pretty good actually. Will the engine need to be removed or just the bottom suspension cradle?

While im at it i wouldnt mind geting Group N engine mounts...would these be easy to fit or require an engine hoist?

Thanks again for the reply...my friends Type R mashed itself as his cam belt snapped and destryed his motor. That scared me alot so i think ill have to change mine ASAP.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

WRC, long time since you have posted!!

I was paranoid about my cam belt after reading those stories from the UK too. Luckily mine was done at 58,000km. I think the service schedule says for it to be included in the 60K service (correct me if I am wrong).

BTW, you coming on the 3rd October? Be ace to check your wheels out.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

mine still has the original water pump in it but the belt has been changed

it also still has the original tensioners and the idler as well

these need only be changed if either the water pump is weeping or the bearings have gone in the idlers

the idlers on their own are around the $200ea mark and most dealers don't even carry them in stock

if everything is in order there is no reason to change anything bar the belt and if in the worse case the water pump starts leaking 3 years or 60k down the track then it's no real biggy as you just pull it apart and replace them and the belt at the same time and go again

the thing with the GTi-6 engine is they place a lot of pressure on the belts at idle due to the lumping action they have

at revs though momentum carries the cams through their revolutions a lot easier and hence less pressure on the belt

most of the cars that have have premature belt life have been city cars sitting in traffic

the engine doesn't need to come out or move forward in the 306 and it is a pretty straight forward job once you take the front wheel off and the inner guard plastic lining
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hey dude

Yeah i tried to cut back on my net usuage but i keep getting sucked back to these damn forums.lol

Mmm 3rd Oct eh? Crap im going to GodsKitchen the night before (2nd)so i dont think il be able to come on the 3rd. Spewing as id like to meet up i havent been on a AF cruise for over 8 months
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

I have seen it posted in the UK that the Xsara had a modified tensioner fitted.
    I think from memory the original was non spring loaded whilst the modded one was (but it could be the other way around) and from what I hear, the modified ones rarely if ever snap belts. I don't know if the Pugs had a similar situation but may be worth the trouble to ask.
    Most cambelt jobs on Froggys require an engine crane to make life easier and with most of these engines, the pump is a $100 or less so not really worth the risk.
    Tensioners I've seen on some have an SKF part number on them and this may (?) be a source of cheaper tensioners of the non spring loaded variety if that's what's required.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Is GTi 6 engine (sorry, I'm not familiar with the engine code) an interference design? I'm guessing it would.

I've seen the timing belt go on a non-interference engine and it was cheap to fix on account of only the belt and tensioner needing replacement.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shagsta
    Is GTi 6 engine (sorry, I'm not familiar with the engine code) an interference design? I'm guessing it would.

I've seen the timing belt go on a non-interference engine and it was cheap to fix on account of only the belt and tensioner needing replacement.

they are definately an interference engine

i can vouch for that
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    they are definately an interference engine

i can vouch for that
    Whoops!

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Hey dude

Yeah i tried to cut back on my net usuage but i keep getting sucked back to these damn forums.lol

Mmm 3rd Oct eh? Crap im going to GodsKitchen the night before (2nd)so i dont think il be able to come on the 3rd. Spewing as id like to meet up i havent been on a AF cruise for over 8 months
    Let me know how GodsKitchen goes. I was going to go but it was either that or Sasha, Cup Eve.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Hey dude

Hahaha, Alex the choko

I'll be looking for you mate, we can go straight from there to the cruise

Hey WRCpug,

Here are some prices + part numbers....maybe some help?

A cambelt for a GTI-6 is the same on all 16v n5 306's
    part#0816.98 = $99.00
    A water-pump for it is
    part#1201.A1 = $239.00
    Tensioners
    part#0829.35 = $117.00
    part#0830.37 = $170.00

All up GENUINE prices are about $625.00 for parts only,only replace tensioners if they are worn

Cheers

GTI145
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

Thread Information