407 AUS Configuration September 2004 Release
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon1 407 AUS Configuration September 2004 Release

Anybody enthusiastic about the 407?
    Have read WHAT CAR from UK, and HONEST JOHN website, and NCAP data. Certainly looks great package. Should be priced down low, because Peugeot have designed and built this car to penetrate the fleet markets in Europe. Careful scrutiny of the NCAP crash data and their opinions, rates 407 as tested safer than new Golf, New Volvo SV40, R/Laguna and even the C Class [as tested].
    Note that the special airbag under the steering column seems to be missing in the AUS configuration.
    Going to Regan Motors in Melbourne Sept 8 and invited to Peck and Stokes at Geelong for unveilings.
    ........... Red Cabriolet Driver ....

Advertisement

Drove this car about 2 months ago in UK and thought it was a great package!

Hopefully with the right pricing and marketing campaign it can challenge such cars as Camrys, Magnas etc or at least convince people what a far superior car it is so they shell out the extra and buy one
    S16 ownership is like a fine french wine, perfection personified

Quote Originally Posted by QIK-516
    Drove this car about 2 months ago in UK and thought it was a great package!
    Drove the 2.0 HDi 135 a few weeks ago in Denmark - nice car, but the engine IMHO is as exciting as a bowl of soggy weetbix I know it's politically incorrect to knock a PSA HDi, but I really didn't like the ridiculous lag and narrow powerband of the engine - give me a light pressure turbo or a nice VAG V6 TDI Yes, it saves fuel, but the lag is extremely annoying - never driven such a laggy car in my life (and my daily driver back home is a 307 1.6 auto!) Definately laggier than the HDi90 in the 307. Yes - it does have a bit of torque...........eventually. But the car never - never feels fast, despite the impressive torque figures it has on paper. A friend suggested a new cornering technique - jump on the accelerator on entry into a corner, because the car would start to respond just as you exited it.

The 2.2 petrol engine is a lot nicer on the ear - car feels more refined overall. THe HDi always sounds like a diesel - it just doesn't have a nice sweet note. It's not very noisy, but it just doesn't have a sophisticated, refined note about it - unless cruising, you always know it's a diesel. The 2.2 has balancer shafts which help. Even a hint of sportiness from the exhaust. Gearbox is okay, nothing special.

The car with 16"s definately rides quite a bit better than the car with 17"s, although I felt the car with 16"s had a bit too much sidewall flex. The front suspension is excellent, much more refined than a 206s A lot of grip at the front end, really not fussed by bumps does quite well. It does ride firmly though - but a fairly well controlled ride. On the negative side, there isn't much steering feel.

The car I drove had a lot of dead play in the brakes - they really needed to be shoved to work. Made judging the ABS threshold a little difficult.

Cabin quality is a notch above the 406, but tall ones will struggle somewhat in the rear. Legroom there is fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by QIK-516
    Hopefully with the right pricing and marketing campaign it can challenge such cars as Camrys, Magnas etc or at least convince people what a far superior car it is so they shell out the extra and buy one
    A little birdie whispered in my ear

Sedan

407 STC 2.2L Man $42,990
    407 STC 2.2L Auto $44,990

407 STE 2.2L Man $46,290
    407 STE 2.2L Auto $48,490

407 STC HDi Man $45,990
    407 STC HDi Auto $48,190

407 STE HDi Man $49,490
    407 STE HDi Auto $51,690

407 SVE V6 3.0L Auto $55,990
    407 SVS V6 3.0L Auto $55,990

Wagon

407 STC Touring 2.2L Auto $47,990
    407 STC Touring 2.2L Auto $51,490

407 STE Touring HDi Auto $51,990
    407 STE Touring HDi Auto $54,690

407 SVE Touring V6 3.0L Auto $58,990
    407 SVS Touring V6 3.0L Auto $58,990

Options
    Metallic Paint $735
    Electric Sunroof (factory fit) $1,890

Thanks Simon

Some very attractive pricing there I must say. The 406 was always fairly good value, but long in the tooth. Hopefully the 407 does well and proves to be reliable.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I saw one in the flesh up where Swanston St/Royal Parade meet - there's a pug dealer there of sorts. Dunno what it was doing, but it was a silver one that was parked outside. Didn't look as bad in real life, compared to some of the pictures I've seen.

Why can't they make the 6 available in manual???? Agghg..

Specifications and pricing have now been released in a press release.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_102442/newsarticle.html

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    Why can't they make the 6 available in manual????
    Agghg..
    Let's hope the 407 Coupe (if there will ever be one) is a manual (with auto option).

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, there are a number of 407s behind the Canberra dealer so I had a look the other day. Basic lines look Ok but I'm not sure I can cop the strange grille, looks like a Murray Cod!!!

Cheers

Jim

Thought the earliest side-on photos made it look fugly, but I passed a black one with trade plates on in Whitehorse Road near Regans in Balwyn yesterday, and from front-on, it looks pretty cool. Very distinctive, in fact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 407 AUS Configuration September 2004 Release-156_01.jpg  
    Last edited by mr bern; 7th September 2004 at 10:19 PM.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Tadpole

Icon14 407 Here

About 2 weeks ago I spotted one (silver 407)coming towards me in Southport (Gold Coast). They sure stand out, but I was a bit shocked that I hadn't read about their arrival. Well this week I went to the dealer and there's one on the floor. Very impressive. The one I saw was the Sales Manager's but they can't really talk about them until the release hoopla on the 15/16 Sept. A bit bloody silly I think. I was quite impressed with the interior and I can almost forgive the excessive front overhang as the car is very striking, a real eyecatcher/headturner. My lease is up on my 206 1.6 in july so I'm thinking a diesel despite the laaaag. I do 40000 highway miles PA so it makes sense to perservere despite this, especially when blokes in the know are predicting massive fuel hikes in the coming years, I mean more than double the current price. I dont see my wages matching that! Anyone interested in a good 206 in July with CC alloy 16's [the turbine blade style], with spare ($260 each).
    All H'way Kms. will be about 90000 by then. I want $19000
    regards Felix

I'd wait till next year till buying one - firstly, do you trust a first year model car?

Secondly, with a tariff cut of 5% hitting as of 1st of January 2005, there will be price & specification improvements - says Peugeot.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the 407 SV, it's already very well loaded for the price.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    do you trust a first year model car?
    MY99 206's weren't muxed ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    MY99 206's weren't muxed ...
    Ahh, but were they first year cars from the factory

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information