Hate hubcaps!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Hate hubcaps!

nJm

Default Hate hubcaps!

I was rocketing down a dirt road today and one of those silly little hubcaps on my 505 GR fell off! Does this happen to many other people? I think I'll just take them all off so I don't need to worry about them. Oh, and I ventured into a puddle that turned out to be deeper than I thought - I had water coming up over the bonnet! Luckily the car kept going, but my engine is covered in mud now!

Still, gotta love the 'off roading' you can do in a regular pug

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Speaking of hub caps, I was driving up Belmont Road yesterday and a guy there had a bunch on his front fence with a sign 'hub caps and wheel trims from $1'... I stopped and among all the stuff was one only Peugeot mag wheel centre cap. No idea what model...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Speaking of hub caps, I was driving up Belmont Road yesterday and a guy there had a bunch on his front fence with a sign 'hub caps and wheel trims from $1'... I stopped and among all the stuff was one only Peugeot mag wheel centre cap. No idea what model...

possibly a 405 as they have a good habit of falling off
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Well, it's first in best dressed next Saturday down in Belmont Road... if you have a 405 that's missing a centre (heavy little devil, too...) there's a perfect replacement for you!

It will be more than a dollar, though...

Well, it's first in best dressed next Saturday down in Belmont Road... if you have a 405 that's missing a centre (heavy little devil, too...) there's a perfect replacement for you!

Thats ok but while you are in there buying it he will send his kids out to nick another one, assuming the hand built speed bumps outside his house havent done the trick
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Kids?

Not likely... he's got to be in his seventies.

It all started, apparently, when his brother was working as a labourer on the local council... he just picked up the hubcaps and kept them himself rather than putting them in the rubbish. For years!

The pile remains static, too, apparently, as this man trades others for the ones people want. A bit of a Saturday afternoon hobby by the look of things...

If only the bloke was in Victoria....
    I've lost 3 405 hub-caps, already (started with 5 - bought 1 at $45!!!).
    I've got 3 left, but I've decided not to keep them on the car, as they make excellent sushi dishes.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

1000+ Posts

Put 3 dabs of roof and guttering silicone on the edge of the hub cap between it and the rim and you will never lose another one.

nJm

Well I'm trying to work out how this one came off, as I thought it was held on by the wheel nuts.

I have a 15" 307 hub cap if anyone wants it
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I can thank the carrying cost of Mazda 626 hubcap spares for getting me into a Pug in the first place. Back in 1996, after I lost one on my 626 keyhole hatch, almost certainly to Midnite Auto Spares, I found that the replacement price for a one-piece moulded plastic hubcap with a one-piece inner spring clip was (wait for it) -- $213.00!!!! Explains how I lost mine ...

I swore I'd never have hubcaps again, and the prettiest alloys I could see were on the 306 XSi. And the rest, as they say, is history ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information