203 for sale
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 203 for sale

Default 203 for sale

203 on e-bay with pictures at:

Advertisement

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....488691992&rd=1

Looks like it could be anything... it has a 403 wheel on the rear, a 404 wheel on the front, extra gauges. But it really doesn't look to be a bad body from the pics. There are bits missing, of course, like the rear bumper...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'd say it's a 49/50 maybe 51 model

it has a sunroof which was only around in the very early cars

it also has a 403 engine in it with what looks like an adapted inlet manifold from where the carb is sitting and it's not a solex either

looks like it has been paddy bashed a bit

i'd also say it will have a broken back as early 203's seemed to get

it has a dent in the rear guard and with the amount of fungus and build up of crap all over it has been sitting for quite a long time

it also has leather seats in it as well which also points to it bieng early and of course the roof drains going down the rear guards and not following the door line and of course the small back window

for $100 it would be worth someone picking it up and storing away for a future project but you would have to be pretty keen to own an early 203

'C' types are the pick of the bunch
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

An early 203 has its own particular charm. A wonderful body shape, although you can't see to reverse. A lot less modern than a 203C. A tall second gear and no syncro on first, and very limited performance. The car in question is probably a 1949 - 1950, but missing some valuable bits like the four spoke steering wheel and the rear lights. Bet it hasn't got a floor. The sort of car you offer $10 for.

Tadpole

Icon5 I'm unsure!!

I'm still in two minds whether to bid on it or not! There may be a few bits and pieces that will of use to myself and others, however.....the missus doesn't seem to like the idea of having ANOTHER 203 in the shed!
    james worley

Tadpole

Icon7

p.s.

I live in melbourne not darwin as my logon suggests!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim203
    p.s.

I live in melbourne not darwin as my logon suggests!
    I was in the NT last year & I dont think they have ANY French cars there @ all.......oh well, their loss!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

'rambo... I'm sure there were sunroofs in some of the later cars.

As for determining that the 203C was a better car, by now we're not really talking about relative performances or comfort, we're talking about restoring history.

What I'm saying is that it's wrong to restore a 203C in preference to a 203 simply because they are a better car... both deserve to be remembered. And because the 203C was a better car, there are now more of them around...

1000+ Posts

When the 203 moved to Australian assembly in 1953? they dropped the sunroof from the local range. Later model sunroofs are usually full imports. I think people like the 203 Cs to do up because with (often) a 403 block, 403 brakes and tyres they are more capable in city traffic. I enjoy my totally original 1949 model but I use it only in the country. There is a shedded 1951 203 for sale in Torque this month that would be a better restoration buy.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    'rambo... I'm sure there were sunroofs in some of the later cars.

As for determining that the 203C was a better car, by now we're not really talking about relative performances or comfort, we're talking about restoring history.

What I'm saying is that it's wrong to restore a 203C in preference to a 203 simply because they are a better car... both deserve to be remembered. And because the 203C was a better car, there are now more of them around...

None of the later cars sold in Australia had sunroofs, any here would be private imports. The sunroofs finished around 1951, 1952 models usually didn't have them. I picked up a C for $250 the other day, straight, not much rust but no engine or gearbox (that's good, it will be getting a 403 motor, C3 box and 403 pedals and gearshift).
    I have no qualms about modifying this car, it would be going to Sims Metal otherwise!
    Graham Wallis

Default Floor Shift

Would you be using a floor shift or column? Ivan Washington built a lovely floor shift for my old 203C.

Chris Andrews

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by friday403
    Would you be using a floor shift or column? Ivan Washington built a lovely floor shift for my old 203C.

Chris Andrews

Column, The 403 version has one less linkage and makes for a beautiful change when correctly set up.
    Graham

1000+ Posts

Someone had a look at that 203 in Torque and this is his report. 1951 203 sunroof, 95,000 miles on clock, body reasonable, surface rust on paint, some sill rust but floor looks to be there, interior good except for hood lining and steering wheel, semaphore blinkers work, turns over but doesn't fire, car complete and seems original. Location near Port Fairy, $400 firm, (03)55685239.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall
    Someone had a look at that 203 in Torque and this is his report. 1951 203 sunroof, 95,000 miles on clock, body reasonable, surface rust on paint, some sill rust but floor looks to be there, interior good except for hood lining and steering wheel, semaphore blinkers work, turns over but doesn't fire, car complete and seems original. Location near Port Fairy, $400 firm, (03)55685239.
    Sounds like a good stopping point on the worm wander next week!
    Graham

Thread Information