Parcel shelf speakers 306
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default Parcel shelf speakers 306

Have just replaced the factory speakers in the 306, but have found that they are too deep for the plastic moulding rubbish that some design genius added on the underneath of the parcel shelf. What have other people done? Have you just removed the plastic stuff or something??

Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

I took em off.

If your going to put 6X9's your going to have to carve the parcel shelf to fit it.

The hole in it at the moment is way to small.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    I took em off.

If your going to put 6X9's your going to have to carve the parcel shelf to fit it.

The hole in it at the moment is way to small.

yeh agreed, when i put my 6x9's on the shelf, the shelf needed to be recut cos the holes were too small

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

yes i cut mine to put the 6x9's in as well

in hindsight what i should have done was make up a new shelf from MDF and put the speakers in that as the original shelf is just way to thin and the sound from the speakers on the thin shelf is not great

it's not too bad but it can be a lot better

the other thing i found was that the 6x9's are too heavy for the shelf hangers so be warned

BTW i run kenwood 7x10's but they fit in a 6x9 hole and they are around 15 years old now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Would've loved to have gotten a pair of 6x9s but I got a good deal on 4 6 inch speakers.

I'll manage it no doubt, but I'd be interested to see how your set-ups look as I'm not exactly a professional I.C.E. installer

Alot of guys on gti6.com have made parcel shelves too, so it may be an option.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Have to agree with you on the sound quality using the existing shelf - pretty shitty..

MDF is prolly the way to go , maybe change the plastic cords that lift the shelf to a S/S braided wire if weight is a concern.

Mine came with aftermarket 6" kenwoods and there is absolutley no bass.. definetly something to look at..

Lets us know how you go! pics etc..

PS: As a thought, a mate has a Clio with 2 of 4" on the shelf and an 8" sub in the center. Sounds great.. maybe another option..
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

I have just recently replaced the 8" speakers I had in there with a new parcel shelf and a set of JBL 6" GT something's..good sound, punchy enough for 6'ers but yeah, I uses a dremmel to cut the base off the plastic, still looks neat though.

What did you use for the shelf? Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    Have to agree with you on the sound quality using the existing shelf - pretty shitty..

MDF is prolly the way to go , maybe change the plastic cords that lift the shelf to a S/S braided wire if weight is a concern.

Mine came with aftermarket 6" kenwoods and there is absolutley no bass.. definetly something to look at..

Lets us know how you go! pics etc..

PS: As a thought, a mate has a Clio with 2 of 4" on the shelf and an 8" sub in the center. Sounds great.. maybe another option..

the cords aren't the problem regarding the weight it's the little grommets that the cords sit over on the actual hatch that you will find will just pull out of the holes

the weight of 6x9's or anything that is weighty like that will pull them out of their holes
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I always thought speakers in the parcel tray was a waste of time. I tried a couple of different variations in my 306's but in the end I just disconnected them. I took the parcel tray out often anyway.

By far the best thing I did was to soundproof the front doors and make new speaker mountings as the standard Peugeot mounts are incredibly flimsy. I had this done behind the factory speaker grilles so it all looked pretty standard. Then I had the MB Quart tweeters flush mounted in the mirror sail panels. The whole setup looked amazingly standard.

I've still got my PXA H600 and PPI PC6600 standing by for my next real car, whatever that will be

macquered how did the soundproof exactly?? it sounds good......

yeah i been told that the normal speakers are a bit to heavy for the shelfs, the guy in the audio store told me to get them Dual Magnets Speakers, which i did and they almost weigh nothing !

I made an MDF shelf for my Bx, a 306 would be easier as the shelf in them is not as large.

Dave

Looks good Dave!

Where did you source the black covering, and how do you find the sub performs in in p/shelf? Not after deafing sound, just clear and punchy.

i'm guessin' the sub isn't boxed is it dave?

i'm curious on how it sounds and what brand model is it ?
    I'd like somethin' like that as I have no boot atm my 2 x 12s take up the whole boot..

It sounds pretty nice, i'm not one of these people that drives around with it on loud all day, but enjoy listening to music.
    Its a 12" alpine sub and jaycar response 6x9's, speaker carpet is from jaycar electronics.

If i need space in the back i can easily lift the shelf out and leave it at home...

Dave

What head unit are you using Dave for that setup?

Ive got a Kenwood putting out 4x35W, assume this may need to upgraded for driving a sub?

I have a 4x45W Sony, however the 6x9's and sub are running off a 4 channel amp in the boot. A channel each for the 6x9's and the other two bridged for the sub.

Dave

How do you attach the covering to the MDF. Sorry if it is a basic question, but if I'm going to do it I guess it should be done right.

Also, the 306's parcel shelf has a dip at the trailing edge so the boot shuts properly. Is this necessary or can you just make the shelf a bit shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    How do you attach the covering to the MDF. Sorry if it is a basic question, but if I'm going to do it I guess it should be done right.

Also, the 306's parcel shelf has a dip at the trailing edge so the boot shuts properly. Is this necessary or can you just make the shelf a bit shorter?
    You use a can of spray on adhesive to put the carpet on the shelf. I shaped my shelf with a jigsaw so that it can be tilited up properly. I'm not familiar with the 306's but if you mean the edge of the shelf is slanted you could easily do the same to the MDF with a router.

Dave

so let me get this right - if you want to replace the speakers in a 306 without modifying their original size/enclosure you have to get 4" on the front (door) and parcel shelf (back) are 6" ?

I'm just after a clearer sound - not huge volume
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

...... mmmm should I answer? or do I let this continue?-chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    ...... mmmm should I answer? or do I let this continue?-chris

go for it Chris
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

OK... EVERY ONE DOING STEREO UPGRADES.
    I used to do this for a living; so the following is as you wish to take it.

Things to remember:
    a) Peugeot head units are rubbish, sorry but true.
    b) What is a good sound will vary tremendously from person to person
    c) installation is 200% more important that Brand or $$$$$ or Hype

general upgrade guidelines

1st- New CD player Head unit- No need to shell out, VERY good units from just about ANY brand are available for about $300, they are nearly all the same inside... so go for somethig that will be easy to adjust WHILE YOU DRIVE!. To do this, close your eyes and fiddle with the buttons, what feels the best?
    Why a new head unit, speakers play what they are fed, feed them rubbish from a poor head unit, and thats what they will play.

2nd- Speakers, the simplest and best upgrade after the headunit is new speakers, the easiest way to get it right is: a) remove old speakers, b) drive to 2 or 3 retailers c) show salesman the speaker and ask " i would like an upgrade this size please" ( that way you know it will fit, ie magnet depth, diameter etc) d) pruchase ANY brand that you like or fits best...( in a car the brands most of us can afford nearly all sound the same, honestly they are nearly all made by the same people, just the sticker on the back changes.)
    e) go home, and get a beer.... tea etc. f) take a close look at what goes were and trial fit first g) then sloder leads, tape well, test for music and re-fit using factory screws.

3rd- Sound dedaning- This is one for the more confident people, but will be the best $$$ to improvement ratio, its tricky but works VERY well. This comprises of using a bitumen like material and apply near and arouond were the speakers sit. eg door skins, parcel shelfs etc. Best to buy from jaycar and apply slowly.. take your time with this one.

4th- after this things like a Subwoofer, amplifiers all can be added, but its just more $$$ for a marginal improvement. More later...

INSTALLING
    Headunit- read all manuals and study them, remove old unit VERY carefully and take note of what goes were. Follow instructions and fit new unit. If your not confident get a shop to do it, ussually about $45, just keep away from Strathfield... long story.

Speakers- Take note of how old ones are in, when new ones are ready, use some blu-tac on the mating surface ( ie the part that attaches to the car) and on the thread of the screws, its an old cheap trick to get a good seal. If in the front doors/dashboard, you must solder the wires/leads together and tape over properly, if you purchased the right ones they will slot straight in. Use the factory screws, the screws that come with the speakers often rust.
    If its a rear parcel shelf, I highly recomend you make a new one from 12mm Hi-density MDF, why? IN AN ACCIDENT PARCEL SHELF SPEAKERS RIP THEMSELVES OUT AND TURN INTO BIG BULLETS!!!.. when I installed we used to get several DIY customers with new windscreens....
    Plus they don't sound very good anyway, but if you must...
    Trace the old shelf onto the MDF, cut and trial fit, shut hatch and see how many gaps or were it needs improving, trial several times till its the best you can get.
    Next cut speaker holes, cover in a material you like, Jaycar sell nice Black speaker cloth witch works best, the trick to making a neat shelf that sounds good but is also safe is to MOUNT THE SPEAKERS FROM UNDERNEATH, literaly bolting them to the underside. ALSO MAKE SOME SORT OF ATTEMPT TO GET THE SHELF TO SIT TIGHT AND SNUG, the tighter the shelf the better the speakers will transfer lower frequency ( read Bass) to you.
    This makes them safe, sound great and keeps them away from thieves eyes too. Again as the front doors seal with blu-tac and solder leads, steal the ties and extend cables/wire from the original shelf to make for a neat fit.

If anyone wants to mount or install more things please ask.

Now my opinion for certain pugs.
    306- Change head unit for a modern CD player and updgrade speakers in the front doors only as they take a 6" - 6.5" 2-way, use some sound dedaning and wuala, se tre bien, oiu!

206- Definate head unit upgrade and door sound dedaning, speakers aren't too bad, but can be changed later.

205- Will benifit best from a new headunit, the later change the speakers.

Older RWD pugs- benifit best from new head unit, and an upgrade of the -ve terminal (of the cars battery) lead to the body on the car. Use at least 8 guage cable bolt directly to metal and conect to battery. Again jaycar sell good cheap black 8 guage DC cable.

Chris- ps if you need more info ask please, Im just hearing lots of dangerous little things
    ... ptui!

Thanks ChriS

Another project for the w/e...
    Interested to note you can fit 6"'s in the front. Think this will be my first point of call , along with suring up the rear shelf.

Good tips.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    Thanks ChriS

Another project for the w/e...
    Interested to note you can fit 6"'s in the front. Think this will be my first point of call , along with suring up the rear shelf.

Good tips.

cheers.
    They are 6" from factory in the doors. S16's though never came with CD player in AUS spec.
    ... ptui!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information