205 GTI Gear linkage(s)
  • Register
  • Help

205 GTI Gear linkage(s)

Hi all,

Well.. I've got a pug with a good clutch, the funny noise is gone (the flywheel protective plate was hitting it only once the engine was upto temp...

So.. tonight I went for a bit of a run... went from 2nd to 1st to nail up this hill and that was it... 1st gear for 5 twisty km's up hill..

Found out that a gear linkage (cup and ball) popped out. The gear lever moved Nth/Sth with no resistance, however could still move side to side.

So my question is... What's the best option from here?? new cup/ball combination? or does anyone have a better suggestion that would make the system stronger..

Advertisement

thanks
    Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

i heard about after market gear links for 205/206s that improve the feel of it or some shit. a bitmore precise/solid?

try 206gti.net or "205gti drivers"

there is an aussie 206gti with one of these in sydney, try that website and search for cruises etc.

good luck let us know how u go
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Why not just replace the whole lot, it's not expensive and peasy to do. All up Neil did his for about $70 I think, and that was for the two shaft and L shaped leaver.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Hi Justin, yep we had this happen on the convertible when we drove it from Sydney to Perth (just as we entered South Australia) - it was a Sunday and we taped it up with insulation tape and it lasted all the way through S.A and across the Nullarbour to Perth

As you've probably realised there are 2 linkage arms that both have ball-cup links. They are not expensive (about $30 each from memory) and are worth replacing as the inside cup which I think is made of nylon wears over time.

I also got a short-shift kit from the UK which has made the whole gearchange a lot more positive all round and nicer to drive.

Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

HI,

Did you get the short shift kit from griffiths engineering?? I just order that today..

Justin

WRX2PUG:
    Hi Justin, yep we had this happen on the convertible when we drove it from Sydney to Perth (just as we entered South Australia) - it was a Sunday and we taped it up with insulation tape and it lasted all the way through S.A and across the Nullarbour to Perth

As you've probably realised there are 2 linkage arms that both have ball-cup links. They are not expensive (about $30 each from memory) and are worth replacing as the inside cup which I think is made of nylon wears over time.

I also got a short-shift kit from the UK which has made the whole gearchange a lot more positive all round and nicer to drive.

Cheers
    Steve

Yep, I did get the Griffiths Engineering one.

I got the adjustable one so that I could play around with various lengths/throws - the first time I set it up on the longest leverage (with too short a gearlever throw) and it was quite difficult to drive - we moved it one slot on and it is perfect.

Cheers
    Steve

hey justin/steve

found the griffiths eng. site

which one did you get?
    205 fast road quick shift 34 GBPs
    205 gti adustable quick shift 45 GBPs
    the ulitmate 205 gti quick shitf and gear rods 85 GBPs

is that still good for the BE3 gear box, well i have 1990 so its a mixture of the two, i think!?
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

HI,

I emailed the 'sales' email address and told them my requirements.

They suggested the 45 pound one, and from what steve said in his respose, he's got the 45 pound one too..

Justin

p.s STEVE... easy to fit?

renn_205:
    hey justin/steve

found the griffiths eng. site

which one did you get?
    205 fast road quick shift 34 GBPs
    205 gti adustable quick shift 45 GBPs
    the ulitmate 205 gti quick shitf and gear rods 85 GBPs

is that still good for the BE3 gear box, well i have 1990 so its a mixture of the two, i think!?

Sorry to but in guys. Im interested too. Is there a 306 version. what is the whole site web address. lll be interested to do a bulk purchase if any others go ahead. If they have a 306 S16 (ie not 6 speed) one let me know. cheers - chris
    ... ptui!

i didn't book mark it

i did a search on altavista and selected search "world" for "griffiths engineering" and found it prettty easy. there's not any detailed info, but you can email them.

thanx justin, with little detialed info on the advantages its hard to justify the "ultimate version"! whistle

some dudes selling a piper induction kit, is it worth the while? for 205
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

hi chris
    looks like we are the ones left as they already looked after number 1! he he

i'll send them an email and see what they say, can save on postage at least! deal
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Hi guys - the url is: <a href="http://www.griff-eng.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.griff-eng.co.uk/</a>

Mine is slightly different as I have the Mi16 motor and Mi16 gearbox in my car but it was basically the equivalent of the 205 adjustable one.

I have to admit to not installing mine myself as I was getting some other mechanical work done at the time. I did watch the process though and it took about 15 minutes and was pretty straight forward - basically replacing the L-shaped lever.

I adjusted mine a few days later as I found the shortest setting just a litle too short - a worthwhile buy though.

Cheers
    Steve

Justin,
    I do 205 quickshifts for $20 exchange + postage. New linkages will cost you less than $40 for the two from Auto France.

I'll do the whole thing fitted for $100. This includes two new linkages, modified bell crank (inc. new bushes), fitted and adjusted.

Another alternative is to rose joint everything like I have on my race car, but that's considerably more expensive.

<small>[ 28 September 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: PeterT ]</small>

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

hi peter

i'm interested in a quickshift for my 205. its a 1990, with i believe a BE3, the reverse is to the bottom right.

checked out the griffiths one, a bit pricy. is it comparable to that? have you got one fitted that i could get an idea, hope thats not to much to ask?

also chris would like one for his S16, as you have probably read under the gear linkage. that poor justin B, he must be cursing all that 'character' one pug can have! its all fun!

thanks peter type to you soon
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

BE1 or BE3, it doesn't matter. Be my guest to come out and have a look/feel of one that I've made.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

excellent, i'd like that

where abouts are you in parramatta, i'm in ashfield. alhtough i'm probably away this weekend (TBC), maybe next weekend. during the week even
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Yea.. I wished that I ordered the kit from peter.. I'm paying $125 from the UK and I have to fit it myself..

Sorry Peter.. I ordered it before I knew someone in OZ could do it..

Justin

renn_205:
    excellent, i'd like that

where abouts are you in parramatta, i'm in ashfield. alhtough i'm probably away this weekend (TBC), maybe next weekend. during the week even

Renn,
    I'm away this weekend too. It will have to be Tue or Wed. next week. Send me an email and I'll pass on my details.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information