what does peugeot mean to you?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon12 what does peugeot mean to you?

Im looking for inspiration for the peugeot design contest:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...489#post139489

and would like to know from some peugeot owners, what their pug means to them. consider it like market research, heres your chance to have some input into a new pug (not that it will ever be built, but hey, whats life withput dreams?? )

to me, a pug is:

Advertisement

a wheel in each corner, and built for going around corners, in comfort and with a smile.

thanks in advance for your input.

1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Administrator

To me a Pug is something for Renault's to whip in races

Sorry, had to add that cheap dig.

Good luck with the competition.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    To me a Pug is something for Renault's to whip in races
    Sounds like it's not the only thing you've been whippin'

- XTC - Cheap dig part II.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

nJm

I agree with the wheel in each corner and comfort. When I think about the older cars such as the 505 I think of a car which can cope with any road surface, yet still have agressive handling. Whenever I think of a Peugeot I always think of their 'face'. Appart from the bland FWD late 80s-mid 90s Pugs, they always had a bit of a snout look at the front - sloping eye-like headlights and a big fan grille.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Sounds like it's not the only thing you've been whippin'

- XTC - Cheap dig part II.
    ha ha ha ha ,good one -cheap dig supporter-bazz

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    I agree with the wheel in each corner and comfort. When I think about the older cars such as the 505 I think of a car which can cope with any road surface, yet still have agressive handling. Whenever I think of a Peugeot I always think of their 'face'. Appart from the bland FWD late 80s-mid 90s Pugs, they always had a bit of a snout look at the front - sloping eye-like headlights and a big fan grille.
    thanks njm. Nice to get a non-digful response from someone!

actually, i think your sig says it all really-

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

perfect!

as for the rest of you...
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Built to last ( remember I have never driven or even been in a 205, or for that matter anything newer than a 504/604 ) and comfortable to ride in. My father's boss about 20 years ago got very annoyed because our 504 was more comfortable than his new Mercedes.
    Can handle rough conditions, my 403 got out of a rough muddy paddock under its own power shortly before we towed the Hilux out with a tractor
    Handles very well for something that is not a pseudo-racer, images of carving up so called "Sports cars" on mountain roads spring to mind here.
    Reliable, it took my grandfather nearly 10 years to kill his 403, a record for his cars and our old 504 suffered several years of belting around the outback with only slightly loose steering to show for it, as contrasted by more than one new Falcon in the area failing its first rego test to severe metal fatigue.......
    Style and class; the 403 shares mnay design cues with other cars of that era, but the only one of that style to coma anywhere near the 403 was the Volvo Amazon, while of the "Finned Pininfarina" designs of the 60s the only one apart from the 404 to have any style was the Wolesley and the 404 sh!ts all over it.
    The passion it inspires; I like many cars besides Peugeots, but Pugs are still top of my list. Cits and Renaults are not toooo far behind, and I feel I could get very addicted to Cits very easily but so far PUGS RULE!!!!!
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

To me my Pug is my girlfriend. Never seem to have any time for girlfriends just too busy with work. but my pug gets however much time she requires. Cheaper than a girlfriend too!!

And yes to coin a well known phrase.... The drive of your life
    Current: '06 Iron Grey 407 SV HDi '02 Silver Audi S4 '05 GTi 180
    ----------------------------------------------
    Previous: '05 Aegean Blue GTi 180
    Previous: '04 Sahara Gold 206 GTi
    ---------------------------------------------
    Previous: '95 Silver 405 SRDT (Fantastic Tourer)

My Pug to me is everytime you drive the thing it puts a smile on your face

You drive some bendies hard or smoke some v8 bogan who insists on tail gating you for last 5km it just makes you happy for the rest of the day
    S16 ownership is like a fine french wine, perfection personified

Quote Originally Posted by enthused!
    Im looking for inspiration for the peugeot design contest:
    For me it's handling I guess - though I do like the digs as well
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hmmmmm, a little while ago I wrote in a post that the Ď307 was nothing I thought Peugeot was and everything I thought Peugeot wasnítí, which got me thinking about just what it was that disappointed me so much about it.

There are a lot of things that are very Puggy about the car, for itís market it is very stylish and it distinctive on the road, it has the front sloping headlight profile, it is practical and generally well designed (with a few too many flaws), it handles well ... for its class, but there are a few Peugeot characteristics that are essential to being a Pug that I didnít get from the car. It didnít feel solid, the doors, the plastic, the seats and a few other niggling issues that pulled the car back down the the level of Japanese manufacture rather than the Ďbuilt to lastí European standard that is what Peugeot are.

There was no responsiveness, I had a loaner while my car was being repaired and scared the life out of a colleague when we were waiting to turn right at a T intersection and I slammed my foot on the accelerator when a car was passing in front of us, itís ok, I counted to three as the car passed and then the 307 accelerated gently away Ö it took me ages to get used to having to accelerate three seconds before the car actually moved.

The car generally handled pretty well, but not like a Pug, but it certainly is better than others in itís Ďclassí, and I suppose thatís part of the problem ... what class is a Peugeot supposed to be in? I always considered Peugeot to be itís own class, and yet here is a Peugeot slumming it with the rest of the industry clammering for customers, being identified for what is in the car, rather than for what the car itself is.

So to me the 307 pulled Peugeot into the main-stream automotive market. Instead of maintaining itís own distinct identity and building Pugs, Peugeot decided to compete head on with the rest of the automotive world, compromising what a Peugeot is and just doing what the others do, ending up looking the same as the rest of them, which is why I can understand that to some the 307 is a 'camry' and the like.

As Peugeot customers, we know what a Pug should be and expect that, there is a certain aloofness, itís not snobby, itís drivers who understand that a six stack cd and cruise control donít make a car good, but solid build, dependable and reliable quality, good response and handling and well designed comfort make it more than a car, itís your friend on the road, someone you can trust and rely on when you need to and who will have fun with you when you want to, itís all very poetic really, but thatís what my Pug is to me.

For me at first, my 180 was what I could afford, a cheap man's Ferrari. But after driving it, I get a buzz everytime I step into the car and I wouldn't trade it for a Ferrari even if I could afford one.

And thanks to Alec Mildren who send me a copy of the history of Peugeot in Australia, I didn't realise the 203 was so tough back in the days of the Redex trials. Sort of set the standard for all the Pugs to come.

Codgamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugaholic
    So to me the 307 pulled Peugeot into the main-stream automotive market. Instead of maintaining itís own distinct identity and building Pugs, Peugeot decided to compete head on with the rest of the automotive world, compromising what a Peugeot is and just doing what the others do, ending up looking the same as the rest of them, which is why I can understand that to some the 307 is a 'camry' and the like.

And this is why Peugeot are going to knock our socks off with the new 407. They'd better or there are going to be some rather disappointed enthusiasts!!!
    Current: '06 Iron Grey 407 SV HDi '02 Silver Audi S4 '05 GTi 180
    Previous: '05 Aegean Blue GTi 180
    Previous: '04 Sahara Gold 206 GTi
    ---------------------------------------------
    Previous: '95 Silver 405 SRDT (Fantastic Tourer)

Quote Originally Posted by codgamer
    For me at first, my 180 was what I could afford, a cheap man's Ferrari. But after driving it, I get a buzz everytime I step into the car and I wouldn't trade it for a Ferrari even if I could afford one.
    You haven't driven a 360 F1 in sport mode have you.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, if I have that kind of money I will get a factory 206 WRC and a team of mechanics to look after it. Probably cost more than a Ferrari Strada.

Codgamer

Thread Information