Selling my GTi 180, advice needed ?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Selling my GTi 180, advice needed ?

Hello everyone I need some advice.

due to some changes in my life I need to let go of the 180

whilst this is simply the best car I have ever owned, it doesnt fit my needs anymore.

I have had the car for about 6 weeks, purchased new in July.

It has done approx 5500km. The car is stock accept for tints done by the dealer.

So, what do you think will be my best avenue for selling it? I am thinking of the Sydney paper, Carsales, and the Trader. Any ideas? Will be sure to put an add in AF.

Advertisement

The car will likely go on sale next week, just a heads up in case you know anyone who is in the market for a 180.
    Last edited by smokey; 31st August 2004 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Hello everyone I need some advice.

due to some changes in my life I need to let go of the 180

whilst this is simply the best car I have ever owned, it doesnt fit my needs anymore.

I have had the car for about 6 weeks, purchased new in July.

It has done approx 5500km. The car is stock accept for tints done by the dealer.

So, what do you think will be my best avenue for selling it? I am thinking of the Sydney paper, Carsales, and the Trader. Any ideas? Will be sure to put an add in AF.

The car will likely go on sale next week, just a heads up in case you know anyone who is in the market for a 180. Price wont be dramatically cheap as Im not desperate to sell, but would expect it to be $4-5k less than RRP and onroads.

my only advice is if you want a fairly quick sale be realistic and don't expect it to sell for anywhere near what you payed for it, as soon as you take delivery of a new car its no longer new and nobody will want to pay near new prices for it.

Fellow Frogger!

as I said Im not desperate, ie I dont need a quick sale. Price isnt really what Im asking advice on, more best way to sell it. Thanks.

I would recommend Carsales.com as the papers didn't do anything for me. Drive.com's prices are a bit steeper than Carsales and people who looks up Drive will also look up Carsales.

Good luck.

Trading post, carsales , carpoint, etc are all your choices.

but expect a serious drop in price since new.
    Redbook values your car at:

<table width="431" height="94"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td align="left" width="70%">trade in price guide*</td> <td align="right" width="30%"> $26,900 - $29,900 </td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td align="left" width="70%">national average price - private sale*</td> <td align="right" width="30%"> $29,300 - $33,300 </td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td align="left" width="70%">price when new (RRP)</td> <td align="right" width="30%"> $34,990</td></tr></tbody> </table>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Fellow Frogger!

thanks Tekkie

everyone, I really am not here to discuss the price, its a fairly personal thing and Im already aware of what redbook says (even though it doesnt even state average kilos to the price due to the fact its a my2004). My final sale price is at the upper end of that, but please Im not here to discuss that as I dont think its very fair, I havnt even settled on a price, and well its really up to me what price I put on it.

thanks again.
    Last edited by smokey; 31st August 2004 at 02:29 PM.

I guess the trading post is pretty close to ulitmate for anyone set on a particular car. the cost of adverts etc is reasonable, and like their ad says, its the paper buyers buy.

Personally I look at drive, carsales etc as a guide, and cant help but feel that the newest cars for sale will always be in the trading post.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

XTC

How many people have actually sold their car through AF ? Or do they tend not to sell through this forum ?

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I'd be interested in your 180, but as much as you dont want to talk about it, price is going to be the key with such a new car. If its only going to be a couple of grand cheaper than a brand newie, I'd probably fork out the extra for my own piece of mind.

Good luck selling, put it on carsales and drive. That should get it some hits.

Drop me an email when you are ready. [email protected]

Brent

Fellow Frogger!

Will do Charlatan. I might not be selling now anyway.

Guys its not that i dont want to discuss the price, I just dont want to discuss it on this forum, I will dsicuss it with potential buyers. I mean, Im not going to go round to each of the cars for sale topics and start telling people what their cars are worth and posting prices from various sites, I just dont think thats fair, and its not what I posted this topic for, I actually wanted some advice on a good way to sell a newish car.

Fellow Frogger!

Good points jester_fu !

I certainly will have to take that into consideration.

If only it was a case of choosing the 180 over everything else. Unfortunately I have two things I love in life, one of them is cars, and the other I need a bigger car to tow it. Im keeping my second car which is a v6 wagon with strengthened towing gear. Hence the need to sell the 180. I could keep it, but its leased so its burning money I could use for better purposes.

Just for the record, my 180 is pretty much mint. Hasnt been thrashed, like everyone its had the revs high on the odd oocasion but I have never had the rev limiter kick in. The outside and inside are as good as new. And I certainly will be encouraging people to have the car tested.

So I guess as long as I can show that the above reasons (as it is a very genuine sale) I should be right. Believe me, I would not be selling her if I couldnt use the money elsewhere. My 180 will always be in my heart as the greatest hatch I have owned, driven or physically seen in the metal.

I know I encouraged you to sell in my PM's, but as you know I was going to sell mine so i could buy a new Land Rover and a 65 Mustang.

After doing a wad of research, I've opted to hang onto it, untill next Feb, when it'll be a year old. I'm only doing this because I feel that for my needs it's not worth the headache to try and sell it now.

As for the average private sale price, I wouldn't stress about it too much. There'll always be someone out there wanting to buy one as they are a few grand short of getting a newie.

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    Trading post, carsales , carpoint, etc are all your choices.

but expect a serious drop in price since new.
    Redbook values your car at:

<table width="431" height="94"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td align="left" width="70%">trade in price guide*</td> <td align="right" width="30%"> $26,900 - $29,900 </td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td align="left" width="70%">national average price - private sale*</td> <td align="right" width="30%"> $29,300 - $33,300 </td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td align="left" width="70%">price when new (RRP)</td> <td align="right" width="30%"> $34,990</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Trade in price 26,900 - 29,900?

Trade in when buying a Land Rover is $33,000, plus another $5K off the price of the purchase.

Fellow Frogger!

blu180 that caravan is going to be made short work of by a landy. that could be an option for me, trade the 180 in on something big to tow stuff with.

i dont go by price listings on the net, as you have indicated blu180 prices can be a lot lot different in the real world. I have known some demo cars with a few thousand less k's than mine go for near new prices. So I think mine will be good value for money to the right buyer.

i think the redbook price is somewhat realistic, and my reserve is at the upper quadrant of that price (there you go if you were wondering), now please no more discussion on price folks, I really just want some advice on selling a near new car.

i have sold 2 cars in 2 weeks on carsales.

the trading post was a waste of money.

i would stick to carsales.... or on a saturday you could be really sneaky and hang around the pug dalership and speak to people who are showin interest in brand new 180's then tell them to come around the corner and look at yours. some may see this as morally wrong, but a carsalesman would do it to you if they could!

whats the current delivery wait on a gti180?

with certain cars like a mercedes slk and porsche boxter where you can look at 12mths, the price of a demo kms car can be higher than the list price new

I think you should advertise in drive and just wait for the phone calls. when people see a second hand 180 i'm sure you will get the calls.

Fellow Frogger!

thanks guys, its great to hear some positivity!

I think I will just try them all when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    i have sold 2 cars in 2 weeks on carsales.

the trading post was a waste of money.
    I get this feeling too - you look in the trading post if you're after something cheap. In the major Fairfax daily papers you've got the major dealer ads, etc, places where people would look for a near new car (eg. demos, exec driven cars, etc.).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!

price has been reduced, see classifieds.

Fellow Frogger!

price reduced to $31495.

this is marginally more than the three offers I have had ($31k)

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    price reduced to $31495.

this is marginally more than the three offers I have had ($31k)
    dont want to sound like a lecture here... but when selling i always think that "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush"

goodluck though

Tadpole

Default tee hee he he

keep the car get rid of the dog...that made me laugh...only hope his dog is the for legged kind!

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    dont want to sound like a lecture here... but when selling i always think that "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush"

goodluck though
    I agree. $31K invested at 5% p/a will soon make up the short fall.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Default re: gti 180

Hi all,

Has anybody got a comprehensive list on the 180? I am definitely in the market for one (upgrading from SP20 astina) and would like to know the finer details of this car.

Smokey, have you had many offers on your car? What are you experiences with the 180?

thanks,
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information