205GTI: Desperate plea for help
  • Register
  • Help

Icon4 205GTI: Desperate plea for help

i am having major problems with refitting the sleaves back into my 205gti!i have pulled it down and had all parts reco'd and blah blah,so i have tried to tap them down with a block of wood as it was suggested but had no luck in seating them properly.

i would get them down in the correct possition but they seam to wiggle and then when i turn the crank so's that i can tension the big end caps they push bak up!what the hell is they're problem???

do they site flat with the top of the block?do i tap them a lil harder or well i dont have any more ideas.tell me some 1 what should i do!i need to get this mother furker back together it has been 8mths with out a car!

jordan

Advertisement

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by mi205
    i am having major problems with refitting the sleaves back into my 205gti!i have pulled it down and had all parts reco'd and blah blah,so i have tried to tap them down with a block of wood as it was suggested but had no luck in seating them properly.

i would get them down in the correct possition but they seam to wiggle and then when i turn the crank so's that i can tension the big end caps they push bak up!what the hell is they're problem???

do they site flat with the top of the block?do i tap them a lil harder or well i dont have any more ideas.tell me some 1 what should i do!i need to get this mother furker back together it has been 8mths with out a car!

jordan
    Hi if you live in Sydney I know of help

With ANY wet sleeve motor, the liners have to be locked in place and the engine turned an absolute minimum. The Pug/Cit repairers will use either special locking plates, or a common trick is old headbolts or shorter ones the same size, with oversized nuts under them for packers and washers on the base to give the bolts higher surface area to grab on to.
    Firstly, double check that the liner seals are still in place & not damaged (that'll save you having to strip the motor again for a small oversight) then tap gently into position. Hold down using the method I've described but just "nip" the holding bolts in place so as to not risk damaging the liner sreals.
    Fit the big ends etc and spanner up, then reassemble motor.
    DO NOT under any circumstances turn that engine once you have rechecked the liner seals until you have secured the liners with the holders and even then, only turn it slowly, by hand before fitting the head. Once the head is in place, they will not shift.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

jordan

invest in a haynes manual before you go any further
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default yeah great idea!

gee thats a great idea, get a haynes manual!any normal person that has never pulled an engine apart wouldnt wanna think of doing this work with out a haynes manual.

i am one of those people that bought one the day i bought my car!expensive day that one was!

thanks for the help,but i dont completely understand the use the old head bolts to tighten it up!do i have to get some sort of a steel plat or something hard like that to help press them down?

still thanks for any1's advise and please feel free to put anything down that might be of relivence.

thanks again jords

You need something hard like oversized nuts and washers to fit between the head of the bolt and the top of the liners so they are held in place.
    Failing that & possibly a better option, get some bolts the same size as the headbolts only shorter to make the job a bit easier.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

if you want to be super lazy then just bolt the head on without the cam in it to hold the liners in place

but really it's not too hard to get a handfull of washers to use under the head bolts to hold them in
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

gee thats a great idea, get a haynes manual!any normal person that has never pulled an engine apart wouldnt wanna think of doing this work with out a haynes manual.
    Seriously, you are NOT in a position to be a smart alec, believe me...

Have you read the manual? I'm sure it clarifies the factory way (a special clamp) and the non-factory way (head bolts, tubular spacers, and washers that overlap the edge of the liners so they are held down).

Also, manufacturers of wet liner engines usually specify a range of liner protrusion, above the block, that is acceptable. You can get away with measuring this with a straight edge across the top of the liner and a feeler gauge between this and the block surface.

Stuey

Icon6 thanks again!

thanks for all ur help i will be goin down to the local nuts and bolts shop and get some mass washers and again study the manual till i fall asleep again!

i have read the manual plenty before i pulled it apart breafly and after thoroughly!i may have over read and wanted clearafacation!which i know have!

so thanks to every one who gave me suitable advice.

back to the car

jords

Default professional opition!

well as i did ask a few weeks ago for some help in how to set the liners in my 205 block.well as i have found out they dont actually press into the block they sit in so that the clearence is corret!(what ever it is)well they dont actually press in tightly so i was waiting for nothing!

thanks neways jordan

Thread Information