A metric ton of problems on a peugeot 306
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default A metric ton of problems on a peugeot 306

Hi there, I have a couple of problems that have developed on my peugeot 306 s, 1.4l that I hope you can give me advice on. The car was made in '97, I have bought it used and all of these problems developed within the 6 months I own it.
    1)When accelerating and putting the car into 3rd gear, the car stalls between 40 and 50. This does not happen in 2nd of 4th gear.
    2)When accelerating in the 1st, 2nd and lately in low rpm in 3rd the engine makes a strange rattling noise. The noise is similar as if you put small rocks into metal jar and shook it.
    3)when the car is stopped it makes a sort of boiling noise, the noise comes from the chassis and is more noticable from the inside then the outside.
    4)When I turn the wheel in get a rattling noise that keeps getting louder and more frequent all the time.
    5)Sometimes the wheels squeel when I drive the car slowly(about 10-20kph).
    6)Everytime I drive into a bump or even a amall change in the road the car reacts very noisily. It doesn't 'float' and from what i Can gather the suspension works pretty ok, when I lean on the car it doesnt make that noise. I can't even describe the noise, but ir's pretty loud.
    So, any thoughts on any of these problems would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking it to a mechanic on monday so I was thinking that you could tell me something about these things so I don't appear as an idiot there
    Thanks, buhbuye

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Zhiwau
    Hi there, I have a couple of problems that have developed on my peugeot 306 s, 1.4l that I hope you can give me advice on. The car was made in '97, I have bought it used and all of these problems developed within the 6 months I own it.
    1)When accelerating and putting the car into 3rd gear, the car stalls between 40 and 50. This does not happen in 2nd of 4th gear.
    2)When accelerating in the 1st, 2nd and lately in low rpm in 3rd the engine makes a strange rattling noise. The noise is similar as if you put small rocks into metal jar and shook it.
    3)when the car is stopped it makes a sort of boiling noise, the noise comes from the chassis and is more noticable from the inside then the outside.
    4)When I turn the wheel in get a rattling noise that keeps getting louder and more frequent all the time.
    5)Sometimes the wheels squeel when I drive the car slowly(about 10-20kph).
    6)Everytime I drive into a bump or even a amall change in the road the car reacts very noisily. It doesn't 'float' and from what i Can gather the suspension works pretty ok, when I lean on the car it doesnt make that noise. I can't even describe the noise, but ir's pretty loud.
    So, any thoughts on any of these problems would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking it to a mechanic on monday so I was thinking that you could tell me something about these things so I don't appear as an idiot there
    Thanks, buhbuye
    1) No idea.
    2) Engine is knocking/pinging. What kind of fuel do you run? Get it to a mechanic asap, you will do serious engine damage in the long run.
    3) Boiling noise from the chassis!?!? No idea.
    4) Could possibly be your CV joints. Does it also do it while you are reversing?
    5) Only drive the car fast. just kidding. Actually I have no idea.
    6) Could be an engine mount problem??

Get the car to a good Peugeot mechanic. Good luck.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

First of all, the 1.4L 306 was not sold in Australia so no one will have had the exact experiences you may have. I have some possible answers for your issues though. How many km has your car travelled?

2. Broken engine mount. I know the pain
    4. Broken/damaged/failing CV joints (which way do you turn to make the noise?)
    5. Dust in the brakes, maybe? Hose them out. Solves the prob for me.

Derek

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    First of all, the 1.4L 306 was not sold in Australia so no one will have had the exact experiences you may have. I have some possible answers for your issues though. How many km has your car travelled?

2. Broken engine mount. I know the pain
    4. Broken/damaged/failing CV joints (which way do you turn to make the noise?)
    5. Dust in the brakes, maybe? Hose them out. Solves the prob for me.

Derek
    4)Well, at first it was just a one time noise when I turned it to hard right. Now it does it all the time, though the noise is not as loud. What's a CV joint?

Is the engine mount expensive to rapair?

I have about a $1000(american) to repair everything, would that be enough?

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    1) No idea.
    2) Engine is knocking/pinging. What kind of fuel do you run? Get it to a mechanic asap, you will do serious engine damage in the long run.
    3) Boiling noise from the chassis!?!? No idea.
    4) Could possibly be your CV joints. Does it also do it while you are reversing?
    5) Only drive the car fast. just kidding. Actually I have no idea.
    6) Could be an engine mount problem??

Get the car to a good Peugeot mechanic. Good luck.
    I run 95 or 98 unleaded. Are there any other fuels?

2/ If problem worse on 95 fuel, use higher RON fuel
    3/ could be fuel pressure noises. normal with injected motors.

CV ( constant Velocity) joints transmit engine power to the wheels. usually rattle when turning corners. Check inside front wheel hubs for damaged boots (CV cover). usually see grease spread around wheel rim when they go. CV will deteriorate quickly when they fail as lubricant is lost and dirt gets in.

Also check for any rub marks inside the mudgards to see if there are any clearance problems

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

CV joint is the drive shaft
    ive experienced that when my engine mount was damaged and i let it go for a while, it eventually stuffed my CV joint. there was no leaking oil or break in the seal, but it exhibitied the same symptoms as you
    get it checked, the engine mount would be cheap and the driveshaft was about 600AUS, plus labour

regarding the low rev. rattling noise, i get that as well, eg. when going up a steep slope with 2nd gear at low speed. I thought that's weird, but one day a pug guy next to me seem to have to same problem as well... so what's going on????????

Quote Originally Posted by wtpug306
    regarding the low rev. rattling noise, i get that as well, eg. when going up a steep slope with 2nd gear at low speed. I thought that's weird, but one day a pug guy next to me seem to have to same problem as well... so what's going on????????
    When the other guy mentioned that it sounds like small rocks in a metal jar, that sounds remarkably like pinging/knocking/detonation. If that is what it is, it's not called 'detonation' for nothing and it's very damaging to an engine. Get it looked at by a mechanic asap.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information