306 radiator hose
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

306 radiator hose

Wondering if there is any aftermarket replace ment hose available for a 306 bottom radiator hose, and is it possible to do away with the twisty style clip, and just use a normal hose clamp

Advertisement

1000+ Posts
    In Australia, I doubt it.

The bottom radiator hose is remarkably complex. It has the MOST bends I have ever seen in a radiator hose - from memory (I had mine replaced in my old 306, 3 years ago or so) it goes from the bottom of the radiator, out to the edge of the driver's side of the car. It then turns 90 degrees, and heads towards the firewall, up and over the wheel arch, bends again around the back of the engine and bends again to where it fits onto the engine.

I think they were worth $250 or $300 a few years ago....

I would recommend doing away with the 'twisty style' clip, as I've not had good experiences with them as they age. At least normal (use stainless!) hose clamps can be tighted up very firmly when you connect up the hose.

Derek.

Fellow Frogger!
    Thats my plan but having a good look at the radiator opening at the bottom does not look like it will hold a normal style of clamp.

been that it has a rather larger lip on then drops off, which will make it difficult to use normal hose clamps.

Deka did u have a problem with the o ring that sits in the bottom opening

1000+ Posts
    immy,

I didn't do it myself, but yes.

I was back at the shop 3 times in a week. The first to replace the radiator. 2 days later, the bottom hose blew (I looked at it, and it was HARD and brittle as you could imagine), so bending the hose to fit the new radiator obviously cracked it.

A few days after that, it was all of a sudden losing water again. The O-ring was the culprit that time, and it took a week for them to find one. If you're replacing the hose, I'd put a new o-ring in too if you can.

This was all well before my Aussiefrogs days...

Derek.

Fellow Frogger!
    Not replacing that actual hose but had it out to remove the radiator. Had a look at the o ring looks pretty hard done by so may as well replace it.

A quick tip, invest in good stainless steel fuel type or aircraft type clamps. Normal hose clamps dig into the hose and put small cuts on the surface which over time open up and split.
    Just a thouht. - chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!
    I have done that for most of the clamps.

But the bottom hose doesnt use a normal clamp it has a twisty clip system, first time ive come across something like it.

Not very hard to use but if it breaks looks like you have to replace to hole hose.

They can be clamped though, the outer cover the hose is normal it just a covered type. Earls have steel types you could use
    Don't quote me on this, id die if your engine went coz of bad advise from me.
    On the hoses, at the prices peugeot charge you could look at custom SILICONE hoses, a few of the turbo workshops sell em here in sydney. not sure near your way though. Silicone hoses are VERY adaptable and last and last. good luck. - chris
    ... ptui!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i think on the later 306's they use a single use push on type hose that sort of clips onto the radiator
    you can if you are very careful pull them off and re-use them but they are pretty fragile and generally don't like bieng pulled off and re-used

i think some of the later 405's had this system as well

i know the series one 405's didn't they just had the good old normal use a hose clamp type hoses

why o why do they have to change from the normal
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!
    ok il try and give a better description of the coupling used on the bottom of the radiator.

the hose has two clips about 4cm long each, which clips on to the radiator, then there is a fastening which is turned to lock the clips in place.

Damn wish i had a digi cam

I know the ones. Earls plumbing sell reusable metal items.... Lucky my S16 had it replaced with a new one and a o-ring too, when i had the radiator serviced- chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!
    Got it all sorted out, just have to put the front bar back on.

Landed up using an aftermarket o ring and keeping the same bottom hose adapter.

Also landed up changing gearbox oil due to the breather cover been missing didnt want to risk it.

No more leaks woo hooo

Thread Information