an unwelcome peugeot moment
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default an unwelcome peugeot moment

im driving a 404 loaner at the moment and am surprised at the different reactions from the balwyn set.
    fri night at the local fish n chips, i had a guy who was talking to me for 20 minutes on the virtues of the 404 and peugeot as a whole.very good.
    then you get the commodore crowd, they beep you and flash lights all because you aint trying to set land speed records at the lights.
    but today when trying to get the attention of the fellow next to me in his resonably new 406 v6 to give him the thumbs up,well if looks could kill id be dead meat.
    he looked up and down the length of this battered old 404,down his nose of course and then proceede to give me the nastiest look i think i have ever had from anyone let alone another snobby new car driving peugeot owner.
    bring back the peugeot commoradery should be made as a sticker.and enforciably stuck on the windscreen facing the driver of every new pug,just to let them know what we all do.that is
    no 1- peugeot is best car
    no 2- peugeot drivers are generally nice people
    no 3- ownership of new peugeot does not entitle snobery
    no4 -not waiving at passing pug enthusiast will result in instant death and crushing of said vehicle
    no 5-keep the spirit alive.
    some of this has been mentioned in a previous thread but i thought id reiterate
    its getting a bit chilly out there from the new 206,306,307,406 ect set.
    for gods sake will some one tell em to lighten up,were only trying to be friendly
    see ya -BAZZ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    im driving a 404 loaner at the moment and am surprised at the different reactions from the balwyn set.
    fri night at the local fish n chips, i had a guy who was talking to me for 20 minutes on the virtues of the 404 and peugeot as a whole.very good.
    then you get the commodore crowd, they beep you and flash lights all because you aint trying to set land speed records at the lights.
    but today when trying to get the attention of the fellow next to me in his resonably new 406 v6 to give him the thumbs up,well if looks could kill id be dead meat.
    he looked up and down the length of this battered old 404,down his nose of course and then proceede to give me the nastiest look i think i have ever had from anyone let alone another snobby new car driving peugeot owner.
    bring back the peugeot commoradery should be made as a sticker.and enforciably stuck on the windscreen facing the driver of every new pug,just to let them know what we all do.that is
    no 1- peugeot is best car
    no 2- peugeot drivers are generally nice people
    no 3- ownership of new peugeot does not entitle snobery
    no4 -not waiving at passing pug enthusiast will result in instant death and crushing of said vehicle
    no 5-keep the spirit alive.
    some of this has been mentioned in a previous thread but i thought id reiterate
    its getting a bit chilly out there from the new 206,306,307,406 ect set.
    for gods sake will some one tell em to lighten up,were only trying to be friendly
    see ya -BAZZ
    i couldn't agree more owners of 206's,306's,307's,406;s,607's and soon to be owners of 407's have lost the spirit of owning a french car. There needs to be a campaign to bring this back into peugeots and french cars not just peugeots in australia. as stated by somone else in another thread, maybe we could have a friendly french car driver campaign, like the bloody volvo driver one that volvo has now
    Last edited by orestes; 29th August 2004 at 04:44 PM.

nJm

That's because unlike the 50s->80s when Peugeot's customer base in Australia were repeat buyers, now days a Peugeot is a nice looking european car with lots of safety equipment. Many of them wouldn't know that a 404 or 505 was a Peugeot unless they saw the badge on the back, and even then they wouldn't be interested.

This doesn't bother me that much. We still have enthusiasts clubs. That's like a BMW 2002 driving bmw club member being annoyed that a woman with 2.5 kids in a X5 didn't wave back. We can take pleasure in waving to other people in the older Frogs (I certainly get waves from other 504/505 drivers on the roads).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    If you have the bug, get the thick skin that goes with it, keep doing the "Peugoet thing" and when you don't get the Peugoet response, just smile anyway. That'll confuse them even more!
    i think i've given up on waving to anyone who owns anything younger then a 405... most of them just don't understand

Its cos the new pugs are crap. A 307 is a corolla to me.

Being in my early fifties and driving a 405 I usually find similar aged men will acknowledge me. When I drive my wife's 306 it doesnt seem to happen.
    From this thread it also appears that those with the 'sportier' pugs acknowledge each other.
    And it's only the men never the ladies for some reason, possibly they'll buy a car because its blue, but thats another thread

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

I know what you mean, even back in 97, when we bought our first 306, other Pug drivers seemed to be a lot friendlier, even then there was a sense of pride and community about being a Pug owner and a smile and wave wasnít that unusual, but over the years they seem to have become just another driver.

We bought Pug because it was the closest small car that handled like my old Lancia that I really enjoy driving. We loved the 306 Style so upgraded to the 306 xsi which is also a great car to drive as well as being really well designed, it has been able to take everything we thrown at it over the years.

Then they released the 307, we took it for a test drive, uhum, we still own the 306!! Big disappointment, it was everything I thought Pug wasnít and nothing I thought it was, with lousy handling and really basic design flaws, but I can see itís appeal as a Ďmumís taxií, which is the market it must be targeted at. So the new Pug drivers donít seem to have the same appreciation for just enjoying the drive and not being in too much of a hurry, and that has had an affect on the Pug community that used to be. It seems more that the car has lost itís heart for the moment, but there are those of us who still enjoy being Pug drivers.

Our other big disappointment has been the authorised servicing, which over recent years seems to have been deteriorating. Our latest problem was when we had to take the car back two days after the 60k service because the front brakes had metal to metal grinding. The right front had almost no pad left and the disks were deeply grooved, add to that the fact that the attachments for the lock nuts were still under everything in the glovebox Ö we wonít be going back!

Personally, our conficence in Pug has been shaken and we donít feel that owning a Pug is what it used to be. It all means that the special feeling you used to get driving a Pug isnít on the streets anymore, and I suppose that I feel a little betrayed because of what Pug has done.

The good news is that we have found that there are loads of garages operated by Pug enthusiasts who know the cars inside out and who more than willingly give advice to make your car even better, so we have felt a lot better and havenít had any problems since we changed. There is still heart around, you just have to look for it.

So to all of you who have one of the good solid old model Pugs, hold on to it, keep smiling and enjoy it for all it is worth, oh, and say gidday when we pass by Ö thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    Its cos the new pugs are crap. A 307 is a corolla to me.
    Mate, I've owned both and let me tell you, there is no comparison. Sure, the Corolla I owned was reliable, but that was about it. Handling was ordinary to say the least, no road presence, bland. My 307 is so much better it's not funny. And I had a 306 but the 307 craps all over it.

It seems that a lot of the people who write in here fit into 2 categories:

1. 206 GTi or 180 owners who want to tell everyone how great their car is;
    2. People who own old Pugs like 306s, 504s etc, who reckon all the new Pugs are crap (yet seem to report an awful lot of problems with their own).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read a lot of posts in here and these seem to be the 2 main threads going on.

My 307 XSE handles very well, better than the 306 I had that's for sure. It's quiet and feels solid, looks good (when I got mine in May 2003 they were quite rare in Tassie, I reckon in the first week I had 20 people wind down their windows at various traffic lights, ask me what the car was, and then tell me it looked great), and now that the engine has loosened up a bit, goes like the clappers.

I like gadgets and value for money, so 6 airbags, climate control, ABS, EBD, BA, 6 CD stacker, trip computer, 16" alloys, auto headlights and wipers helped me decide. And I only paid $29k on-road. Where would you find a Corolla with all that stuff?

Sure, my car hasn't been perfect (I've replaced the COM2000) but I don't consider that a big deal. It's got character, something you won't find in many Japanese cars.

And I do wave to fellow Pug owners (although some of them do think I'm some sort of weirdo when I do).

Cheers
    Last edited by Dodgy Tone; 30th August 2004 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    That's because unlike the 50s->80s when Peugeot's customer base in Australia were repeat buyers, now days a Peugeot is a nice looking european car with lots of safety equipment. Many of them wouldn't know that a 404 or 505 was a Peugeot unless they saw the badge on the back, and even then they wouldn't be interested.

T his doesn't bother me that much. We still have enthusiasts clubs. That's like a BMW 2002 driving bmw club member being annoyed that a woman with 2.5 kids in a X5 didn't wave back. We can take pleasure in waving to other people in the older Frogs (I certainly get waves from o ther 504/505 drivers on the roads).
    well yes and no i conseed the forst point but i dont agree with the bmw theory.
    two different people bmw and peugeot people.
    ive never met people so enthused over there cars than pug people .
    bmw enthusiests tend ro be right out of the peugeot enthusiests budget.maybe its just the ones ive met but it does seem they are a generally more affluent.
    theres a bit of a price difference in a new 307 and a new 321i.
    anyway i still think the sticker campaign idea would be good-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Nicely summarised, njm. You just can't get it from the new generation of car buyers because, like njm said, they are in it for a different reason. Example: Most people i know, who aren't car buffs, can't understand why i payed so much money for a little french hatch, when i could have bought a big family commodore for the same money! They can see how a 406's is a status symbol, in luxury form, due to it's price and interior appointments. But to be an enthusiast... you have to care about whats in the heart of the car, the person that designed it and why you enjoy driving it.

Until you've owned a classic, or driven one (and you guys obviously have the bug anyway!), you just can't understand what the fuss is. It's just another car. And my experience when i had my XJ6 to newer XJ owners reflects exactly what NJM said. You've either got the bug, or you haven't. If you have the bug, get the thick skin that goes with it, keep doing the "Peugoet thing" and when you don't get the Peugoet response, just smile anyway. That'll confuse them even more!
    yeah i know but i still think that my no 4 point makes more sense,crush and kill if no return wave or smile is my new motto ha ha ha ha BAZZ

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    Baz, you do realise that it is Balwyn. Anyone in Balwyn with a car older than a 2000 model is considered a pleb.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Baz, you do realise that it is Balwyn. Anyone in Balwyn with a car older than a 2000 model is considered a pleb.
    i live in nth balwyn and the part i live in is known to the locals as mortage hill cause its just the small 2-3 bdroom houses in the few blocks around me, go to the end of the street and cross the road and your in the snob belt.
    i ts actually a lot cheaper to live here than say where you live in northcote.no offence but i have lived in that area for a long time and it was getting too expensive.
    cheaper houses by far in my area of nth balwyn and you get backyards,gardens.peace and quiet all the things that a aging hippy/muso/audio engineer could want.
    i will admit though that the crusty crowd round here give you the irrits but the suburb is full of peugeots both old and new and some very knowledgable locals too.
    its good to live here ,i like it anyway.youd be surprised at how many adds for spares that i have answered only to find they are round the corner from me.
    anyway thats enough on the virtues of sleepy ole NTH balwyn
    see ya -BAZZ

[QUOTE=My 307 XSE handles very well, better than the 306 I had that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

307 handling better than a 306!!!?? Your 306 musta had a worn front end or something!

OK so I've never driven a 307 (mostly cause I've never wanted to, it's a boring family car), but seriously...I can't imagine that any variation of the 307 would ever out-handle a 306.

Baz;

I drive thru Nth Balwyn on a semi-regular basis, down Belmore and right down UNion. I have to agree that I see quite a few Pugs parked, but have yet to encounter any mobile on the road. Saw a 205GTi turn down Balwyn Rd from Belmore on the weekend. Might have been you!! There was a nice Grey 405MI16 parked at the Nth Balwyn BiLO on Sunday night. Have you seen it around??

I find I see more down Sth Yarra/Elwood area.

The PUgs around NOrthcote are a sight to behold. Lots of 404s, 505s...student cars, rusty as all hell. Northcote is very quiet down around where I am and it's closer to the pubs and the city which at this stage of my life is of high importance! Nth Balwyn is probably cheaper, I'll grant you that. Probably end up there again some day

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

VIP Sponsor

Baz;

I drive thru Nth Balwyn on a semi-regular basis, down Belmore and right down UNion. I have to agree that I see quite a few Pugs parked, but have yet to encounter any mobile on the road. Saw a 205GTi turn down Balwyn Rd from Belmore on the weekend. Might have been you!! There was a nice Grey 405MI16 parked at the Nth Balwyn BiLO on Sunday night. Have you seen it around??

I find I see more down Sth Yarra/Elwood area.

The PUgs around NOrthcote are a sight to behold. Lots of 404s, 505s...student cars, rusty as all hell. Northcote is very quiet down around where I am and it's closer to the pubs and the city which at this stage of my life is of high importance! Nth Balwyn is probably cheaper, I'll grant you that. Probably end up there again some day

Was it Graphite, probably me!

Graham

If that's the colour it goes by, then graphite it was. I was parked over the road in my GF's 205GTi. I pointed out the 405 to her, but she wasn't that into it. She's a bit of a GTi purist/snob

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy Tone
    Mate, I've owned both and let me tell you, there is no comparison. Sure, the Corolla I owned was reliable, but that was about it. Handling was ordinary to say the least, no road presence, bland. My 307 is so much better it's not funny. And I had a 306 but the 307 craps all over it.

It seems that a lot of the people who write in here fit into 2 categories:

1. 206 GTi or 180 owners who want to tell everyone how great their car is;
    2. People who own old Pugs like 306s, 504s etc, who reckon all the new Pugs are crap (yet seem to report an awful lot of problems with their own).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read a lot of posts in here and these seem to be the 2 main threads going on.

My 307 XSE handles very well, better than the 306 I had that's for sure. It's quiet and feels solid, looks good (when I got mine in May 2003 they were quite rare in Tassie, I reckon in the first week I had 20 people wind down their windows at various traffic lights, ask me what the car was, and then tell me it looked great), and now that the engine has loosened up a bit, goes like the clappers.

I like gadgets and value for money, so 6 airbags, climate control, ABS, EBD, BA, 6 CD stacker, trip computer, 16" alloys, auto headlights and wipers helped me decide. And I only paid $29k on-road. Where would you find a Corolla with all that stuff?

Sure, my car hasn't been perfect (I've replaced the COM2000) but I don't consider that a big deal. It's got character, something you won't find in many Japanese cars.

And I do wave to fellow Pug owners (although some of them do think I'm some sort of weirdo when I do).

Cheers
    Nicely said mate!!!

VIP Sponsor

If that's the colour it goes by, then graphite it was. I was parked over the road in my GF's 205GTi. I pointed out the 405 to her, but she wasn't that into it. She's a bit of a GTi purist/snob
    I was talking about the GTI turning into Balwyn Rd. not the 405
    Graham

Default Lets convert the non-wavers

Lets see if we can really put in a concerted effort and lobby the dealers and other Pug workshops to leave nice little card in all the Pugs that go thru their place - that says "Make a fellow Pugulist's day and wave to them" ( or somthing similar) perhaps then everyone will ge the message that its a fratenity not just like owning a Volvo or a Holden etc

Any Ideas of how we can do that or suggested slogans
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I was talking about the GTI turning into Balwyn Rd. not the 405
    Graham
    Oh, I see. Yes, she pointed that one out;

"Puggy!! Oh, it's only a series 2."

As I said; snob/purist.

VIP Sponsor

Oh, I see. Yes, she pointed that one out;

"Puggy!! Oh, it's only a series 2."

As I said; snob/purist.
    Even worse, a series 1!
    Graham

Forgive me for wanting to concentrate on driving rather than wave at the multitude of Peugeots around.

I might wave in the GS and BX16v but owning a Peugeot is not exactly a unique thing these days, especially with the advent of their gobsmackingly boring '07 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy Tone
    Thats not exactly a fair comparison, not everyone can get an XSE for 29K onroad. Thats more like an XS price.

Itís good to hear from a couple of 307s, you seem to be few and far between. As you said, there are two main threads, those passionate about their 206 Gti and 180, and those passionate about their Ďold Pugs like 306s, 504s, etcí, and I suppose thatís what we are talking about, the cars that engender the emotional response, the cars that give the owner/driver excitement and fulfillment every time they get behind the wheel, you know that every other Pug driver feels the same and will understand why you have to acknowledge them on the road. The newer Pugs just donít seem to do that, so come on 307s, oh, and you snobby 406s, prove us wrong.

One thing is for sure though, the 307 will never replace the 306 as a drivers car, even testers lament the demise of the 306, it is a perennial favorite with anyone who was fortunate enough to drive it. When replacing a car as good as the 306 Pug didnít have many options, either try to make it better and end up competing with it, or make something different, which is what they did with the 307. But the comparisons were inevitable, so it was always going to be hard for the 307 from the outset.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Pugaholic
    Itís good to hear from a couple of 307s, you seem to be few and far between. As you said, there are two main threads, those passionate about their 206 Gti and 180, and those passionate about their Ďold Pugs like 306s, 504s, etcí, and I suppose thatís what we are talking about, the cars that engender the emotional response, the cars that give the owner/driver excitement and fulfillment every time they get behind the wheel, you know that every other Pug driver feels the same and will understand why you have to acknowledge them on the road. The newer Pugs just donít seem to do that, so come on 307s, oh, and you snobby 406s, prove us wrong.

One thing is for sure though, the 307 will never replace the 306 as a drivers car, even testers lament the demise of the 306, it is a perennial favorite with anyone who was fortunate enough to drive it. When replacing a car as good as the 306 Pug didnít have many options, either try to make it better and end up competing with it, or make something different, which is what they did with the 307. But the comparisons were inevitable, so it was always going to be hard for the 307 from the outset.

I actually found the 307 (HDI) to have excellent handling, very confidence inspiring and easy to drive fast. I've only driven 306 XTs though and can't compare with the faster versions. The main thing I don't like about the 307s is the noisy ride, it was like inside a drum on anything other than hot mix. Exceptionally quiet for mehanical and wind noise, though. Maybe that's why the road noise is so noticable.
    The only other thing was the reflections (both light and heat) from the huge dash top.

Graham Wallis

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information